Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Semi Hair Color...How to Choose?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Semi Hair Color...How to Choose?
    Posted: March 17 2004 at 11:31am
I have been permantly coloring my hair forever it seems!!!! I'am tired of the commitment. I now got a chance through a "Hair Straightener Screw Up" to go back to my original hair color. My original hair color is medium brown with about 50% grays. I should mention that I take prescribed meds. When I would use a permanent hair color (Loreal Excellence Cream #6 Light Brown) my hair would always soak up the color like a sponge and usually come out with light brown roots, medium/dark brown length, and with almost black ends. I want to try a Semi (mostly because of the grays) I like the idea that they wash out after about 24 shampoo's. I have read mixed reviews about "Loreal ColorSpa" and "Clairol Natural Instincts" any suggestions or experiences?
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2004 at 10:04pm
I'm not sure if the way your hair is soaking up the dye is due to damage or the meds. Either way, it might help if you only dye the new growth and leave the rest alone, so it doesn't get any darker. Just use either the same brand and shade as before, or if you can find a semi-perm shade that's really close, maybe you could use that.
Semi-perm never washes out completely, though, at least in my experience. It always leaves a root line on me, just not as drastic a line as with permanent.
More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2004 at 5:14pm
Thank You Kuroneko for the advice! I'am also not sure about why my hair was soaking up the dye (dry hair or meds) but I assure you it was a hassel. Can I ask you what brand of a semi did you use? If you have any suggestions as to covering gray without the commitment of a permanent I would really appreciate your input.
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
Tiffany_Q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany_Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2004 at 12:09pm
Like Kuroneko said it will never really wash out. I have bad luck with natural instincts in the past (green hair). I would definitley stop putting the color all over start with the root and if the ends need a bit of color in the last five min add a bit of water to the color on the root and comb it all down to the ends. Your hair is probably porus from repeated coloring, not putting the color all over will help tremendously.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 3:02am
I have kind of limited experience with semi. I've used both the Natural Instincts and the Colorspa (though it was Casting at the time. . . it was some time ago :-P ). Both of them showed up pretty well on my hair, even though it's rather dark. They fade with time and washings, but they don't go away completely. If you use one closer to your natural shade, that's less of a problem, though, than if you're light-haired and put on black or something.
I usually like a more drastic change than semi provides, though, so most of the time I use permanent.
More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 6:44am
Thank You Tiffany_Q and Kuroneko. I used Natural Instincts such a long time ago that I can't remember what condition it left my hair in but I do remember that I used the color "Cinnaberry" and it was like a blackish red...definantly not the color I was looking for!!!! I was also into getting very short hair cuts back then so I'am sure that before most of the color could wash or fade out...it was probably cut off. I was just wondering if the Natural Instincts was "New and Improved" now. YES my hair can get porous and I was in the habit of doing an "all-over" or complete hair dye every month because I needed help with just doing the re-growth touch up. No wonder my hair was coming out 3 different shades. I'am still thinking about a semi...perhaps the "Loreal Colorspa" but I'am leery. If I go with my natural hair color...neutral medium brown it might come out very very dark...*tapping fingers and thinking what to do*
Tiffany_Q View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiffany_Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 7:17pm
To be safe go with a color one shade lighter than what you want. Semi colors are usualy more vibrant that permanent colors because they contain a different kind of pigment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic