Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!! What shampoo/conditioner is safe???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kwick876 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwick876 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!! What shampoo/conditioner is safe???
    Posted: September 13 2010 at 12:44pm
I have keratin bonded extensions and have experienced some shedding when I've used certain kinds of conditioners so I'm assuming they're too heavy. Can someone recommend a SPECIFIC brand of shampoo/conditioner that is safe and they've had good experience with(I don't want to have to look through a list of ingredients!)??

I'm getting the extensions done this week and want to make sure I don't lose as much as I did last time! Thanks
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2010 at 3:24pm

The best safe shampoo and conditioner I've used on my extensions was something very mild and gentle like Pantene Pro-V.  It doesn't have your hair shedding at all.  I hope this helps.  Let me know how it turns out.

Shannon D. Bax
Extension Lover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extension Lover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2011 at 2:01pm
You want a Sulfate Free Shampoo. Loreal has one that is called Ever-pure. Also Pureology has a sulfate free like that is great.  I recently use Wen from the infomercial that is seen on TV and I was blown away by how it transforned my extension in one washing and I use top quality hair.  Also, if your shedding excessively it could either be that the bond is not the best quality or the hair was possible over processed when manufactured and is just breaking off. If thats the case there isnt alot you can do at that point.

Hope that helps Tongue
kwick876 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwick876 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 8:49am
Extension Lover, thanks for the reply! I have used the Everpure, but I recently found the Moroccan Oil line which I love!!! I've heard great things about Wen too but am going to stick w/the Moroccan Oil for now. The only thing is I don't know if the M/O shampoo is safe on fusion bonds.   Have you heard anything about that?
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by kwick876 kwick876 wrote:

Extension Lover, thanks for the reply! I have used the Everpure, but I recently found the Moroccan Oil line which I love!!! I've heard great things about Wen too but am going to stick w/the Moroccan Oil for now. The only thing is I don't know if the M/O shampoo is safe on fusion bonds.   Have you heard anything about that?

We have not had any trouble with any of our clients, but it can vary depending on which fusion adhesive you are using. For our fusion products, we do recommend the Moroccan Oil line or Redken products.

kwick876 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwick876 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 1:38pm
Doctored Locks -

Thanks for the reply! I have the keratin based bonds from Lord & Cliff, so I guess they'd be safe w/the M/O shampoo even though it has oil in the shampoo as well? I'm just scared to get anything near the bonds that would cause slipping, but I guess shampoo is different?
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2011 at 5:12pm
It's not really slippage you are worried about so much as something that will weaken the bond. I am not familiar with that brand, but you should be okay since the oil in M/O in all natural

magnum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magnum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2011 at 3:56am
also you must use shampoon without alcohol
iheartstyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iheartstyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2012 at 9:40am
Pureology Purify sulfate free shampoo and K-Pac conditioner. I've tried a million different kinds and I've finally found the perfect combo. You have to be careful not to get conditioner on the bond. I've found that it weakens the bonds. Good Luck :)
fabulousfemme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fabulousfemme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 7:24pm

Everyone is correct about the importance of using sulfate-free shampoo on extensions in order to prevent the color from fading, but HOW you shampoo/condition your hair is also very important.

Shampoo commercials like Herbal Essence have led women to believe that they must get that sudsy soapy-ness all over their hair from root to tip while washing.  This is incorrect. The hair grows from your scalp, and your scalp is where the oils come from. When shampooing, your scalp is what you want to wash, NOT all of your hair. While washing, the shampoo will drip along the length of your hair, and that is all that it needs. Not to mention the fact that when conditioning, the conditioner actually lifts dirt and oil from your hair after you rinse it off.

Also, washing your hair everyday is not a good thing. This can strip essential natural oils that keep your hair healthy. If your hair is especially oily, you can use a dry shampoo for the days you do not wash.  Also, if you don't have time to wash, dry shampoo is great to keep your hair looking fresh.

The above information goes for women with extensions, and women without.  As far as women with extensions, the best way to actually wash your hair is shampooing in a zig zag motion along the scalp as to avoid putting too much pressure on the bonds.  Try your best to avoid flipping your hair upside down while washing and styling because that is also not good for the bonds. Use a detangler after showering. Sleep with your hair in a low ponytail/braid to keep the hair from tangling.

The Ostia Collection is an excellent collection of hair extension care--complete with sulfate-free shampoo, a great conditioning mask, dry shampoo, detangler, styling mist, and foaming mousse. Visit Amazon.com for the best deals:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic