Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can I repair heat damaged hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
khandece View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khandece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I repair heat damaged hair?
    Posted: October 02 2010 at 3:29pm
I'v been growing out my hair from relaxers for 3 years now and they became really long. I went to the hairdresser yesterday to get them washed and flat ironed but she ironed them while still somewhat damp and now my hair is brittle. She also cut them alot shorter.
I am sooo frustrated and would like to know how I may counteract the damage she's caused.
I've been considering searching for keratin products and moisturizers with oil treatment.
Thanks for any other advice.
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 3:29pm
What's your hair length?
Shannon D. Bax
apple522 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apple522 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2010 at 2:20am
Deep conditioning is the very best way to repair heat damaged hair.  You can try everything from oils to professional treatments.

Edited by Karen Shelton - December 21 2010 at 6:38pm
sarah alfred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarah alfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 7:59pm
as apple522 said try conditioners specially made for damaged hair , but i dont suggests oils at all ... deep conditioner is the best & try not to straighten ur hair for at least 2,3 weeks

DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2010 at 2:05pm
Try the Moroccan Oil mask! It works great! An the oil will help as well.

askvivi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote askvivi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2011 at 4:20pm
Try Pro Naturals Moroccan Oil Hair Treatment with Heat Protector, it's amazing, it leaves the hair soft, shiny, resilient and healthy, protects the hair from heat damage and split ends, reduces frizz and strengthen the hair.
elevate View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elevate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2011 at 1:17am

In order to truly achieve damaged hair repair, you need to first know how the damage happened. This article covers all the common ways hair becomes damaged and provides you with essential tips on repairing damage that has taken place.

Do you often get your hair colored, bleached, permed, or chemically straightened? If so, then your hair is more than likely over processed. However, if you got these treatments done at a professional salon and the damage is the result of over processing, then you can go to the stylist who performed your services and receive damaged hair repair treatments at no cost to you.

Have you attempted to do any chemical treatments yourself at home and have resulted with broken hair that falls apart when you touch it? Then you are probably aware of the fact that you have over processed your hair. If you need to repair your hair from over processing, then you need to get some good protein based deep conditioner. Apply the conditioning treatment every other day for a minimum of 15 minutes, if you are able to use heat, and a minimum of 30 minutes if you don't have access to an all around hair dryer, (the kind used in a salon that you sit under.) a sauna, or any other way you can heat your whole head of hair at once. Do this until you see improvement in the hair, generally it will take 2 to 3 weeks of treatments.

Have you tried to change your hair color at home, only to continually get an off shade of blue, green, grey, pink, or orange when you were actually trying to get a natural hue. Then gone to a salon to have the color fixed and changed to a natural color? This damage you are seeing could be the result of the color you used at home reacting harshly to the color used at the salon. If this may have happened to you, bring the color you used at home to the salon and have your stylist check the compatibility of the chemicals used.

marklee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marklee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2011 at 1:41am
The best way to repair heat damaged hair is to not use heat styling. Sorry. :/ But if you can't stand to part with your straightener, then you can at least invest in a good heat protectant. Also, a clarifying shampoo might work too, as the product can build and leave hair dull. And a 4-6 week trim to get the dead ends off with help as well.
All the best!! Smile
LaraMasterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaraMasterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 4:09pm
You finally get your hair to a decent length and after just a little bit of damage you are back to square one. This is so frustrating!

The first thing is to try to prevent the damage in the first place. Modern day life is very harsh on black hair with all of the chemical and thermal treatments out there. There's even damaging chlorine in the water!

I've tried a lot of different products out there and most of them don't do anything. Some actually make things worse.

Keep fighting the good fight!

All the best,

Lara

Edited by Karen Shelton - August 24 2011 at 6:03am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic