Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got my hair relaxed for the 1st time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Koryu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koryu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got my hair relaxed for the 1st time
    Posted: October 06 2010 at 11:03am
So about 3 months ago i got my hair relaxed/permed for the first time. After about 2 months I had a lot of new growth, so a couple of days ago, i got it re-relaxed. I have some questions about black hair being relaxed in general.

Just to give some background on my hair's health, I wash and condition it once a week, and apply moisturizer everyday after getting out the shower. I don't cover it up at all even when at home, but i'm going to start. The lady that re-relaxed it said my hair is nice and healthy.

Okay first of all, my mom and the lady that relaxed my hair said that i'm not supposed to wet my hair... What? Wouldn't not wetting my hair cause my hair to be dry and dandruffy?

Also, how often should i straighten it? Because i really don't like the way my hair looks when i don't straighten it at all after getting out the shower. I usually straighten as often as i can, which is usually about every other day.

And by the way, it is my understanding that i'll have to go back to the salon to get my newgrowth re-relaxed about every 2-3 months for the rest of my life... Right? :/
I mean if i have to do this i will but, damn. lol.
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 2:57pm
You are on the right track with taking good care of it but you shouldn't straighten relaxed hair too much.  Or, it will become dry, brittle, and damaged.  I've been relaxing my hair since I was 7 years old, and my mom and others have always given me nice compliments on my straight hair.  When I straighten my relaxced  hair I only do it twice a week.  I hope this helps!

Oh yes.  Since now that your hair is relaxed you need to continue to relax it every 2-3 months for the rest of your life.  How long is your hair?

Edited by Dark40 - October 25 2010 at 2:59pm
Shannon D. Bax
sarah alfred View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarah alfred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2010 at 8:07pm
please dont wash ur hair everyday , only wash it every 3 days and use shampoo only 2 times a week and everything else will b fine . and if u gonna wash ur hair every 3 days u can straighten it also every 3 days .....

champion118 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote champion118 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2010 at 8:39pm
Hope you can do welll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic