Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxer for a guy - to use or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
johnbrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnbrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxer for a guy - to use or not?
    Posted: October 30 2010 at 10:09am
My hair is naturally very curly, wavy, frizzy.. all of the above. Last summer I started getting my hair relaxed at a salon, and did so about every 2 months. In May of this year, however, I noticed an itchy rash on my scalp, and had it checked out by a dermatologist. He did a biopsy, and while I never heard back on the final results of it - apparently they'd have to do another to be absolutely sure of what it was - the lab thought it may have been folliculitis.

The dermatologist recommended I don't get my hair relaxed any more. That was June.. it's now October, and my hair is driving me crazy. I really want to get my hair relaxed again, but I'm afraid the rash/folliculitis thing would come back (it's mostly gone) or my hair would fall out, or something to that effect.

What should I do here? Was the rash the product of the person applying the relaxer being careless, or a type of relaxer my skin didn't agree with, or was I getting it done too often? Should I go for it, or not risk it and deal with my hair as is? Thanks in advance.
avillax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avillax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 9:47am
That's crazy don't do it. Check my post, I have the same hair as you and I get it straight naturally.
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 8:04pm
Don't do it.
Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic