Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

older women in short hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: older women in short hair?
    Posted: May 10 2004 at 4:18pm
I am a 55 yr. old woman with hair to my shoulders. The last cut and dye I recieved at a reputable salon was a disaster. They cut one side shorter than the other, and in order to fix it, they took the good side and matched it to the bad side. My dye job did'nt cover the gray, so they redid it aweek later and now my hair is fried. I look like the bride of Frankenstien! Anyway, I have 2 choices now. Either let it grow out to a length where I could get a Martha Stewart type bob (I have very thick hair) and re-dye it or Buzz it down to the existing healthy gray and see how that looks. Maybe there will enough hair left to look a little feminine? I weigh about 130 and had a face/necklift last August and am average looking with glasses. My face is small and oval. I am use to having all my hair to hide behind. So what do you guys think? By the way the salon did give me my money back.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 3:22am
So long as you have fairly small, pretty frames for your glasses, it shouldn't be a problem if you did go that short. If it were me in that position, I would definitely take that option over living with severely fried hair for a year or two. But if you choose to wait for the damage to grow out, be sure to condition it well so it looks less damaged, like with hot oil treatments, conditioners specifically listed for damaged hair, Infusium 23 or some other leave-in, just whatever works to get it looking as healthy as possible, even if nothing you put on will actually make it healthy.
More awesome than a manatee!
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 9:29am
After reading your post, a vision of this model came to me. She also was in her mid fifties with gray hair. She decided to go very short; like less than an inch long on top and tapered on the sides and back. Everyone told her she'd never work again; her bookings tripled. I remember reading about her about ten years ago; I still see her in some of my wife's catalogs. So, with that said, go for it; you'll eventually love the cropped look. Mark
HAWG
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 12:11pm
Well thanks guys, I guess I did'nt expect a reply so fast. I use so much product on it already to keep my hair tamed down. I only buy salon products and the best they can do is create a nice smooth "Helmet Head" So I guess I better get brave and make that appointment soon. Is it the Cropped cut or the Pixie I'm asking for? It is so great to use this board. I think a neutral opinion is usually the best one.
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 2:46pm
Sounds like it would depend on the length of grow out you have when you go to the salon to me - with the crop being shorter than the pixue - but I'm no expert
Its your hair, your choice and your decision
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2004 at 11:42pm
Sounds to me like you could pull either one off so it's up to you. Go for the crop, have them do the pixie on the way. Mark
HAWG
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 2:46am
Just tell them your situation, and your planned solution. They'll be able to see for themselves how much is too damaged to save and how much is still salvagable.
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 3:08am
Well with the support of all your input I am doing it for sure.Since I have decided to cut down to the gray, it will most liklely be a Buzz. My grow-out is very short. Good thing is, it will grow if I dont like it, plus I realized Ill be able to try the Crop Cut and Pixie while its growing out. Who knows, I may like it?
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2004 at 2:57pm
You asked, so I'll give you my opinion, Theo. I think that no woman looks her *best* in a buzz, but some women still look despite despite the crop, regardless of age. I love long hair on women! Well, you've decided, so good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine. Bob
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 12:44am
Well I did it afterall. But because of Bobs comment I did make a trip to the Mall this AM to watch for how many women had short hair. Surprisingly it was mostly older women and quite a few with gray hair. Most of them were not appealing. Scary! I almost backed out of my afternoon appt. but then looked in the mirror again and marched right in. I had a male stlylist who said I was not all gray, lots of brown in back. He thought the Buzz might be too extreme for me. Me too. He and I decided on the Pixie. He also talked me into a color (golden brown) and highlights (blond) which he said was to avoid the Helmet Head look. The cut looks great and has natural shine again. My friends have mixed opinions. I am in shock, but I know it will grow on me. LOL! I will be happier once I buy some earrings to dress up my newly exposed face. My head feels naked but its all good!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 3:40am
It's good you worked out a solution, and that it seems to have come out well :-) . Of course, now you get to play with various new earrings, make-up, styling products, accessories, etc. to try out new looks, which is the most fun part!
Generally the older women who don't look good in shorter hair are the ones who wear the giant "old lady curls" and such. I think, so long as one stays away from those types of styles, it's pretty safe at any age.
Theo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2004 at 8:48pm
You are so right about those older women with the short bubble hair-do's. They are giving short hair a bad name. I can see if I dont keep mine really short I could very well end up looking like them. I wonder why they think they look good? With the average life span of women now being 85 for the baby boomers, maybe these women will have more class when they are old. I know Im going to try.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2004 at 12:55pm
You may find that you really like your hair short Theo. I think it looks especially chic on older women (of which I am one) who are small. I'll bet you look fantastic. Experiment with spiking up the shorter pieces and really showing the texture. I cut most of my hair off last summer in a fit of desperation because I was so hot. I haven't regretted it for a minute. It takes me about five minutes to do and I think it looks pretty good. I may have that "bubble" some days but those are the days when my spikes fall!
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic