Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

perming bleached hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Melisha View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: perming bleached hair?
    Posted: May 15 2004 at 11:38pm
Hello,

I have long, brown hair. I have always permed it with no problem. However some time ago, I completely trashed my hair (tangled, dry barbie doll hair) by:
1.) Bleaching it.
2.) Bleaching and perming it while I was pregnant.

What I have done to remedy the situation:
1.) Have not permed or bleached my hair for over a year.
2.) Had my hair dyed back to its natural color about ten months ago.
3.) Have been using Aveda deep conditioners (some deposit color) and an Aveda leave-in conditioner for about six months.
4.) Have had my hair trimmed about every six to eight weeks.

Now comes my question and quest for educated advice. I really want to perm my hair. I hate my flat, straight hair. However, I do not want to risk damaging my hair again. I am hesitant to get a perm because:
1.) I am still breastfeeding. So, I assume that my hormones are not quite back to normal.
2.) I still have some of the damaged (bleached and permed) hair. My hair is still long, and I would like to keep it that way if possible.

If you have a lot of knowledge on this subject, I would appreciate your advice.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Melisha Thomas

jntmjt1@sbcglobal.net

Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2004 at 2:39am
Perming your hair would be a really bad move unless you grow out all of your bleached hair first, but if you really want curls, have you tried rollers?
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2004 at 9:04am
Perming is very bad for the hair. The stylist makes big buck$$ and you get what you got. I strongly suggest you resist the temptation.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2004 at 10:53am
I beg to differ.
Perming is not bad. It may be damaging but with modern technology now, we may reduced or even prevent that damaged.
I say, perming and bleaching is very harsh on the hair. If you do want to have it done.
Have it done by a professional who has training and experienced in doing these procedures. You might want to wait like a week or two after bleaching before perming. Then you most likely have to do protein treatments for your hair.
It will cost a lot, but if you have the cash, you can do it.
ARGHH
Melisha View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2004 at 10:07pm
Thanks a lot for all of the advice. I will think about your comments.

Thank you,
Melisha
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2004 at 12:49pm
A picture of your hair would help you get the best advice possible...
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2004 at 10:57am
oh yeah
i forgot
since you are a mother now, do you really have the time to do these procedure. i mean it takes you a lot of time to this this style of hair. it takes even more time to take care of an infant
ARGHH
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic