Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dye my roots first or last?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xrachel28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xrachel28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dye my roots first or last?
    Posted: January 05 2011 at 5:17pm
I've dyed my hair multiple times in the past and each time my roots turned out lighter than the rest of my hair.

Should I dye the roots last or first? I've searched for this answer but it's about 50/50. I know the roots are on the scalp so the heat makes a difference, but does this mean the color picks up faster or later?
DanaCO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanaCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2011 at 5:00pm
It depends on what you are doing. If you are darker than your natural color and this is just a root touch up, I think the general instructions normally given are to put the color on the roots first and then just run the tint through the rest of your hair in the last few minutes or even just when you rinse.

If you are going lighter than your natural color, I would just do your roots and not do the rest of your hair at all, except for maybe when you tone. If you are lightening, your roots are generally going to lift fastest and/or most. It just depends on the situation, the color, your hair, and personal preference. I generally though prefer getting my hair to the color I want and then ONLY doing roots. I don't like to layer tint or lighten previously lightened hair.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic