Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should I keep the pixie or grow it out?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
candycane626 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candycane626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I keep the pixie or grow it out?
    Posted: January 13 2011 at 2:07pm
About 3 years ago, I went for the plunge - I got the pixie cut! I loved it, and I've worn it since then.

Here is a picture of when I first got it done (not the best picture, but you get the idea): http://i56.tinypic.com/nlu4w2.jpg

Since then, I've cut it shorter, let it grow a little longer, etc. For a while, it was somewhat asymmetrical with one side longer and one side shorter. Loved it!

Anyway, I've been toying with the idea of letting it grow out. I had decided to do so and skipped my last haircut. I cut it myself, cutting the bangs and the back (which was starting to look mullet-y). I also trimmed the sides.

Now, I'm debating whether I should keep it. I'm remembering the reasons I did it in the first place: I have straight, fine hair that often looks like it has no volume whatsoever. I get bored with bobs quickly. I don't like wearing ponytails or pigtails. I'm rather short (5'0), and long hair weighs me down. I have small, feminine features... etc.

What do you think?? Any input would be helpful :) Thank you!

Edited by candycane626 - January 13 2011 at 2:10pm
makeitshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makeitshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 2:42pm
CC,

This is the short hair forum, so we are a bit biased.  Wink

Are you just tired of the short hair or do you just want something different?

Personally, I think short hair suits you perfectly. I also think you would look terrific going even shorter than in the pic.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candycane626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 3:06pm
Rest assured I would still keep it short :) Just a different style, I think.

Maybe I'm just tired of it being SO short. I can never find the time to get it cut every 3 or 4 weeks so I end up waiting 5 or 6 and then I end up with something resembling a mullet and become disillusioned. I realize that even with something like a bob, though, I would end up having to cut it almost as often.

Another issue is that my hairstylist makes me really uncomfortable... I really need to find a new one but, as a college student with 9 am to 9 pm days and few breaks, I can never find the time to do so.

This is making me realize that maybe it's not the haircut, but other factors... I wonder if changing the style of the cut would be enough change for me.

Either way, thanks for the positive reinforcement :)
tiffany2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiffany2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 3:12pm
Keep it short.  Pixies are so hot right now.  Think of Emma Watson.  Her fans went nuts - in a good way - when she had all of her hair chopped off.

Have you thought about finding a local cosmetology college where they do haircuts really cheaply and the students are usually very current in their thinking about hairstyles and could prob come up with some really cut ways to change up your pixie.

You can also play with clip-in extensions.  Yes, I know you're a college student but you can get some steals on the trading websites. 

Keep in mind that even people with medium or long hair have to keep it trimmed on a regular basis to prevent a shapeless mess and also split ends or damage.

If you don't like your stylist by all means dump them ASAP.  You can also check to see if some of the high end salons want models.  Usually you can get a very cheap or no cost haircut and meet a bunch of different stylists.

If you want to go to a cosmo school check out Paul Mitchell or Aveda.  They have very high stands.

Good luck.  Thanks for the post. 
注册
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by candycane626 candycane626 wrote:

Rest assured I would still keep it short :) Just a different style, I think.

Maybe I'm just tired of it being SO short. I can never find the time to get it cut every 3 or 4 weeks so I end up waiting 5 or 6 and then I end up with something resembling a mullet and become disillusioned. I realize that even with something like a bob, though, I would end up having to cut it almost as often.

Another issue is that my hairstylist makes me really uncomfortable... I really need to find a new one but, as a college student with 9 am to 9 pm days and few breaks, I can never find the time to do so.

This is making me realize that maybe it's not the haircut, but other factors... I wonder if changing the style of the cut would be enough change for me.

Either way, thanks for the positive reinforcement :)

I think you should keep your hair short if you love it that way.  There are tons of ways to make it looks edgy.

You may want to stop by the HairBoutique.com Gallery.  I just uploaded 100 new short and medium hairstyles which can provide inspiration.

Definitely dump the hairstylist.  I know its hard with your schedule but it will be worth it.

Please keep us posted on your short hair journeys.

Edited by Karen Shelton - January 14 2011 at 12:03am
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
xxxzvp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxzvp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 7:13pm
You are very attractive, and that hairstyle suits you perfectly. It is great to hear from a young woman who enjoys having short hair. I live in a college town, we have a state college and a university here, and you almost never see a young woman wearing her hair short. Often you will see groups of 15-25 college girls jogging, and it is almost eerie, every single one of them has a ponytail bouncing. I say they have a no-style hairstyle, its just long, boring hair. Congrats an doing something different. You don't seem scared of short hair, why not try something shorter, maybe with clippers?
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 9:09pm
Looking at your features (which are very beautiful), I would say the pixie is right on target.  I think you could even go a little shorter (than the pic).
I understand the upkeep and time situation...but from a visual perspective...the pixie would be best.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 9:23pm
I too think you look awesome with short hair.  How 'bout one of these styles?

HAWG
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 9:56pm
HAWG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candycane626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:05pm
You are all so sweet! Thank you for the great advice :)

I REALLY like that first haircut, HAWG. But I feel like it'd take SO long to grow it out... I've read all about the difficulties of growing out a pixie and it doesn't sound fun. Plus I have a wide forehead, so I always need bangs. And the hair in that picture looks rather thick, whereas mine is very fine. I really think maybe a pixie is the best option for me, but I had to hear it from someone else!

Also, I completely understand about the college girl comment. I was president of my sorority and, at our national convention, I was LITERALLY the only girl with hair shorter than my ears. I was also one of the only brunettes. Everyone else seemed to have long, blonde hair... Similarly, in my high school, the trend was to wear a ponytail and/or long straightened hair. A girl got a pixie cut and it was a definite faux pas... thanks for the vote of confidence!

You've all been so helpful, thank you!

Edited by candycane626 - January 13 2011 at 10:09pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candycane626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:07pm
I completely understand. I was president of my sorority and, at our national convention, I was LITERALLY the only girl with hair shorter than my ears. I was also one of the only brunettes. Everyone else seemed to have long, blonde hair... Similarly, in my high school, the trend was to wear a ponytail and/or long straightened hair. A girl got a pixie cut and it was a definite faux pas... thanks for the vote of confidence!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2011 at 9:55am
Hi Candy,

Explaining about your sorority (and all the long blondes) makes sense, but being unique can also be very special. 

One of my favorite hairstyles is shown below.  It is great for fine hair because it can be cut in layers so that it hangs beautifully.   A good friend of mine has very fine hair and grew her pixie length into this exact hairstyle.  You might want to consider it for the future.

Yes, growing out a pixie can take some work but with the help of a good stylist it can be a lot less painful than you think.  So again, finding a new stylist, when you have the time, could be a big help.

This cut actually requires a little less maintenance then a short pixie, especially if it is cut to blend as it grows.  I love this haircut and it could work to minimize your forehead or it can be cut with bangs.

For more similar hairstyles go to:

Edited by Karen Shelton - January 14 2011 at 10:05am
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:12pm
HAWG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote candycane626 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 10:16pm
Ooooh, I LOVE the bottom two (of course, I also love that hair color, so I may be biased).

I scheduled a haircut for Friday. Now that I've finally decided to cut it again, I'm excited! I only wish I could have fit it earlier in the week. I'll bring some of the great pictures posted on here to give the stylist a good idea of what I want.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2011 at 9:26pm
Can't wait; have a great time!
HAWG
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2011 at 12:06pm
I think it's super cute! I'm very tiny too with fine hair. I keep mine right above the shoulders so that I can play with it a bit more. Throw extensions in, install dreads, etc. The nice part about growing it longer, is if you do and don't like it, you can always go back quickly :)

HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 6:44pm
What happened?
HAWG
baldshorthair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baldshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2011 at 8:48pm
Pixies are awesome and very popular right now but you should definitely go with the cut that makes you happy.

Edited by baldshorthair - February 21 2011 at 4:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic