Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I need to change my hairstyle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
slothario View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slothario Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need to change my hairstyle
    Posted: January 15 2011 at 9:10pm
Okay, I'm a dude still trying to figure this fashion thing out. There's one area I'd really like to improve: my hairstyle. It currently looks... not that great. So I'm open to suggestions. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) I like that kind of messy indie sort of look.
2) I don't want to have a hairstyle that requires a ton of preparation and maintenance.
3) I use something like Rogaine that kind of makes it look the way it does. There's no getting around that unless I want to have no hair at all.
4) It has to be acceptable in a conservative, professional context because of my job.
5) The general style I'm aiming for right now works - but it needs to look better. But I'm also open to something totally different.

So what do you think? I put a link below showing what it looks like... yeah, I know it's bad right now - that's why I want to change it! :P

Here it is
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2011 at 9:23am
Hey,

Welcome to HairTalk.  Thanks for the link to your hair.  It actually looks pretty good for the parameters you have set below.  It is def conservative and professional so from that viewpoint it works. 

To get a messy indie look you might want to grow the top longer, if that's possible and then for work you can wear the top smooth and sleek in a professional manner but for after work you can use a paste or wax or paste/wax combo and add a few spikes or you can tousle it for that messy indie sort of look.

The two looks you desire...messy, indie and professional are sort of at odds so I would suggest that you get more length along the top...if that's possible with your hair...and then play with products to achieve different looks.

I would suggest highlights or lowlights which do add thickness, fullness and swell the hair shaft but if you are dealing with Rogaine that might be counterproductive.

A little bit of extra length and use of some new styling products would not require a lot of maintenance and care which is something you said you were not interested in.  Of course any type of color, lowlights or highlights would have more maintenance so that might not be appropriate.

Not sure of your age or your marital status but propecia works very well to restore hair and thicken it up.  It is not recommended for people who have not finished having their families but you could talk to your doctor about the pros and cons.  I know several men that have either restored their hair which was original lost or kept what they had.  That's just a thought.

Keep in mind that something totally different that met the criteria of professional but also indie and tousled might involve a lot more maintenance...trims, styling products etc., but if you want to go that route and take on the extra care, there are styles you could go for that would meet the professional/indie tousled.

It really doesn't look bad at all.  I actually thoughts the sides and most of the top looked good.  Just professional.  Nothing wrong with that.

Hope that helps.  Please let us know what you decide.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic