Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This is gonna sound weird, but...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This is gonna sound weird, but...
    Posted: July 21 2004 at 7:19am
I find Egyptian women to be very pretty; and I'm looking for pictures of the kind of hairstyles they wear, modern and ancient Egyptians.

If you must know it's for a comic I'm doing set in Egypt ;) I'm always very bad at doing hair.

I've always seen them protrayed as having wonderful dread-lock like hair-styles in movies and I'd like to see what they really look like.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2004 at 11:55pm
A lot of Ancient Egyptians, male and female, shaved their heads and wore wigs when they were out and at important festivals and events and things. They were like coiled or braided, generally, and held in place by the headbands and headdresses they wore. If you've studied ancient murals and statues, you can get a pretty good idea of how they were.
More awesome than a manatee!
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 12:05pm
Really?

So nobody had their hair in natural braids? Why did they shave their heads when they were going to wear a wig anyway?

I always liked the braid/dread-lockish hairstyle, especially when in different colours. I had no idea it wasn't real hair, as I've seen people with their hair like that before.
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 1:46pm
Ah, okay read up on it, I guess it was pretty handy in the heat.
People should wear wigs more often :) Although natural hair is better.

What kind of hair do modern Egyptian women have? Do they everl braid it that way or, or shave and use wigs?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2004 at 4:43pm
The other factor is social class. Egyptians of higher class-- royalty, nobles, etc.. tended to be more picky about hairdos. Those of lower social class tended to be more natural about their hair. Just a thought. Ooh, know what else? watch the Disney movie Prince of Egypt. I hear they did a lot of research.

Anais
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic