Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What hair color dye damages your hair the

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jess Kirvin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jess Kirvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What hair color dye damages your hair the
    Posted: July 16 2011 at 3:55am
I want to color my hair but i need a hair dye that damages my hair very little or nothing at all cuz my hair tends to fall a lot and for that matter i have some frizzy hairs. My hair is black and thick and i want to color it chocolate brown. Any suggestions on a really good hair dye and where I can get it?

Edited by Karen Shelton - July 16 2011 at 6:08am
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2011 at 6:13am
Hi,
The best hair dyes are what is known as temporary which means they wash out slowly over time.  Demi perm is also an option.

Can you go from black to chocolate brown?  No.  Not with plain dye. You would need to lift the color and that requires much more aggressive hair color products often containing bleach or similar.

And yes, bleach and lifting colors are more aggressive and thus can damage hair that tends to frizz. 

So you may want to simply have a few lighter brunette fusion hair extensions added to give the lighter look around your face without risking the potential damage bleach may cause to your entire hair.

As a side note, our posting rules here prohibits any type of advertising so I removed your ads with links in the bottom of your post.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2011 at 4:10pm
A good hair dye thatwon't break your hair off or cause any damage is Clairol Nice N' Easy.  I have some frizzy hairs too but it doesn't mean that it is damamged.  It could mean that the humidity or clmiate you live in causes the frizzies.

But I agree with Karen Shelton that you can't go from black to chocolate brown. Because, you would have to use bleach ora lifting product, and that could be damaging to the hairs.

Now, about the frizzies there are products out there that tames frizzies like Garnier Fructis milk or hair cream, and John Frieda's smoothing hair cream.  But you can get Clairol Nice N' Easy at anyone of your local grocery stores like Walmart, walgreens, or Rite Aid.  I hope this helps.

Shannon D. Bax
HiNeebles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HiNeebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 4:28pm
Sorry, forgot to add that organic color systems does not have ammonia, parabens, thioglycolates, PTDS, or tested on animals. enjoy!
Neebles
larrypage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrypage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2011 at 8:52pm
I assume you don't want to go to a salon...so, any one that does not have ammonia in it and non-permanent will be perfectly good. This is offered by many makers - Loreal , Clairol....to name a few. You just put it on..wait about 25 minutes...wash it out and voila...the new you! Have fun but note you will have to redo it about every 6-8 weeks.

Edited by larrypage - August 29 2011 at 1:18am
HiNeebles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiNeebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2011 at 5:07pm
Exactly what Karen said... you need lift. If you want to lighten your hair (somewhat naturally) I would get a clarifying shampoo with SLS. I do not condone the idea of using SLS, but they do help color fade and it would be less damaging than bleach to try and lift some color, but if I were you this is what I would do.

If you can avoid bleach, I would. Bleach has ammonia which blasts open your cuticle to allow the color to penetrate the hair. Ammonia increases the hairs pH to such irreversible levels that the cuticle has a tough time closing (leaving the hair open to more fading and damage).

I would avoid bleach and go for a color line that uses pharmaceutical grade peroxide to lift the black out of your hair. If you go this route, you will have to use 30 vol (for 1/2 level of lift) or 40 vol activator (for 1-1 1/2 levels of lift) with a the dark brown hair color.

Again, seek a hair color line that is permanent and without ammonia! Ammonia is just no good.

Hope this helped.
Neebles
harrygibbis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harrygibbis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 4:54am
I would avoid bleach and go for a color line that uses pharmaceutical grade peroxide to lift the black out of your hair. If you go this route, you will have to use 30 vol (for 1/2 level of lift) or 40 vol activator (for 1-1 1/2 levels of lift) with a the dark brown hair color.
xiaomaizi85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xiaomaizi85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 9:30pm
I agree with your thought.Thank you for your sharing.
HiNeebles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HiNeebles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 12:06pm
Hi there:

I would stay away from box dye as they are often packed full of harsh ingredients (demi and semi), and can give unpredictable results.

The hair color that damages the hair is the most are those who use ammonia, which are still many salon hair dyes. As demi and semi permanent colors are not usually great for grey coverage and longevity, I would recommend a permanent color that is ammonia-free.

Ammoniated hair colors blast open the cuticle to allow the color molecules to penetrate the hair shaft. Since ammonia is so harsh, the cuticle cannot be closed again, and has changed the pH of the dyed hair for well, forever.

The ammonia also damages the hair's natural Tyrosine lvels which is responsible for the pigment in your hair. Damage that and you are just asking for damage and long term fading.

I recommend seeking out a professional line of ammonia-free hair color that maximizes the use of more natural more organic ingredients. Depending on your desired shade I could recommend many hair color lines for you, but I will leave you with my favorites. Organic Color Systems and Simply Organic.

Hope this helps
Neebles
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 9:04pm

Well everyone on here gave you great advice, you can`t go from black to brown without first lightening your hair color. Years ago I tried dying my black hair to a chestnut brown color from a dye that I purchased at the drug store. I was in high school and I didn’t know any better at the time, and it did not work. After I died it my hair looked exactly same! The color didn`t take at all.

Once I was asked to be a hair model in this hair show in Toronto. I thought it would be a good idea but then I found out that they wanted to dye my black hair to a lighter color and the way they wanted to do that was by bleaching it. I immediately left the salon refusing to bleach my hair. Of course going from a dark to a light color can be done safely with the right products and proper care but for me I just didn’t want to put my hair through that. I also didn’t think I could keep up with the touch ups and dying to maintain the color they wanted me to get but I love black hair so it doesn’t bother me.

When you do decide to dye your hair make sure you ask a lot of questions about what they are using and what the effects to your hair will be. Also ask about the upkeep afterwards and make sure you go to a good salon.

Edited by Ericachristina - August 15 2012 at 9:06pm
zhengss611 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zhengss611 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2012 at 11:00pm
bleach and lifting colors are more aggressive and thus can damage hair that tends to frizz. 
blairgreen14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blairgreen14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 8:22am
Coloring Products have chemicals. So they can harm the hair. Always use natural products.
fchenaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fchenaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2013 at 4:47am
aggressive and thus can damage hair that tends to frizz. 

Edited by Karen Shelton - November 26 2013 at 7:39am
fashionsmod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fashionsmod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2014 at 2:34pm
Hair color dye the damage are very important issues for girls. Thanks for sharing this hair damage dye color information.
mariad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 8:44am
Agree about bleach. I'm 3 years after bleaching and trying to regrow normal healthy hair. Will never do it again. And I heard that black colors dyes are more toxic than any other color.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic