Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wet hair look

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
theclasher92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theclasher92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wet hair look
    Posted: September 14 2004 at 8:12pm
hey all, i'm new here, so uh, how's it going? well, alright, i haven't gotten a haircut in 11 months (8 inches) now, it's thick, curly, and people used to say it was wiry, but now it's pretty soft. it spirals and everything, kinda like a jew-fro when it's dry (no slur intended), which i'm fairly happy with most of the time. But, i love my hair when it's wet, it looks so much longer, and it still does corkscrews, except tighter and less obvious, it hangs free and everything, but after 2 hours, it starts frizzing out and starts looking terrible. i've tried a few gels, only one of which had directions for wet looking hair, and they only managed to keep the shape of it, but most of it just receded back to its natural curls instead of the whole dangling thing and it doesn't look wet at all. could it be that i'm not using enough gel? i mean, i don't wanna put half a bottle a day in my hair, but i want it to look good. i tried just wetting my hair between classes, but that was totally embarassing in how it got my shirt wet, left my hair dripping, and i could distribute it evenly around my head, so it was dry in some places, wet in others...a complete disaster. so that idea's dead, any products you guys recommend? do i just need to use more gel? thanks in advance
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 12:46pm
Hey and welcome to Hairboutique : )
Hmm... I think I see the problem. Gel can sometimes make hair really dry. Especially curly hair: curly hair is prone to dryness and frizzing-- it takes some conscious effort to keep curls hydrated.

Try oiling your hair instead of gelling it-- like sweet almond, jojoba, or coconut oil. Maybe try Shea butter. But you would only use a little bit, a few drops. Give it a try and see how your hair likes it.

Hope this helps
Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theclasher92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 2:39pm
well my mom had some shea butter skin moisturizer laying in the bathroom, so i put that on last night, and after 4 hours, it kinda looked free hanging in the back, but there was no shine to it at all, the hair itself felt pretty good, i think, but it didn't get anywhere's near the look i wanted, better than the gel though...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2004 at 9:06pm
Shea butter is a lot like a wax. Please note it can also change texture with the current temperature. Colder temps will make the shea butter coating dull. If it's cold in your area, or if the skin application isn't 100% shea butter, try a lighter oil that is liquid. Many curlies usually end up mixing shea butter with other oils like jojoba to make it lower melting point.
my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theclasher92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 6:58pm
well i tried gel one more time, and soaked it this time, but i'm getting more or less the same result, it looks a little bit better, but it looks like 3 inches shorter everywhere...i know it's hard to prevent your hair from curling as it dries, but it does it so nicely when it's wet, and i guess it gets stretched out when soaked by the water, and after 2 hours, the water's gone, so it starts getting curling back? well anyways, i guess what i'd be looking for then is a gel that DOES weigh hair down, heh, any ideas?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2004 at 7:27pm
Hm.. I can't think of any gels. Maybe someone else on this board could help you out.
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 8:11am
I may be wrong on this but I think there is products out their that makes your hair shiny without weighing it down. Gels that contain alcohol are drying but those without are not. I know shine and wet hair is not the same but maybe you could use gel on your hair and then apply some extra shine wax or mousse. Like I said, I am not sure about this. All I know you probably need more that just one product for this look. Wet hair look with lots of shine. Just remember that with this type of overload of hairproducts, invest in a good clarifying shampoo to get rid of all the gunk weekly.
ARGHH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theclasher92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2004 at 3:08pm
well, now i feel quite stupid, i didn't think of using more than one thing...since it's the weekend, i'm not afraid to test things, and i tried a new gel, and put some power pomade on after it, and i have to say, it's a pretty good look, it's like the wet shape and length (minus an inch or two) except with some hairs curling out...i'll probably alternate between this and just wearing my hair clean after sleeping on it, but it's still not looking wet...it looks dry, just real shiny...thanks for the advice you two, i'm making good progress...but if this has gotten over 70 views, there's gotta be somebody out there who wears the wet look once in a while! or used to...i'd appreciate any help
Damier500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damier500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2004 at 5:28pm
i have kinda an idea of what you want... you most likely are looking for a glaze.. or polish.. its like this jelly looking stuff and its specifically for the 'wet look' .. my mom has curly hair as well and it she uses Elasta QP glaze and she always looks like she just washed it even when she gets home from work.. theres also one by proclaim that conditions the hair as well.. and they have a polish for the shine but i recomend the glaze

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theclasher92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2004 at 3:29pm
HAHAHAHAHA, thank you, sadly, that might've helped...If it came before i cut my hair...

But, it's still pretty long, and it looks exactly the way i want it when wet, and not when dry, so I still need it. So can you tell me more about this "glaze" stuff? Like, when my hair's wet, it's heavy, and straighter, will this stuff be able to do that? I don't have a problem with bushiness anymore, i just want something that'll prevent my hair from curling out of the style i want it in.
Liberty4all32 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liberty4all32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2004 at 9:02pm
I know what you're talking about and I do use the look your talking about. I use waterwax and then smush my hair so i get this mice wavy texture. I'm not sure if this is what you want but it's what I use.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic