Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Back Won't Straighten

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
willgtl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willgtl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back Won't Straighten
    Posted: October 12 2011 at 1:21pm
I have medium length hair (Back is near my shoulders and bangs are a little lower than my chin) that's a little wavy. My ends flip outward though which I don't like.

I use a flat iron yet I cannot get the back to straighten. I don't want to go to a higher heat setting (I use 15 out of 25 on a Revlon iron) at the risk of damaging my hair and I don't really want to spend a ton of money on specialty products.

Don't know if this would help but I'm a white male, I have bleached my hair twice but the last time I did was about a year ago. I haven't trimmed my hair in a like half a year but I don't have any split ends.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
secretchick154 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote secretchick154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2011 at 12:29pm
Hi Will,
I experience the same thing from time to time.
What kind of flat iron are you using, i.e., is it ceramic, titanium?
I used to have the same problem using my Royale, which is in the same boat as the GHI, the CHI, and others.
I switched to a titanium flat iron by Jilbere from Sally's Beauty Supply, and found it did a MUCH better job of straightening my hair (versus styling, which is what the others seem to do).
You may also have luck trying a Maxiglide (very expensive, kind of hard to find locally, but it's totally worth the splurge)
For technique, try ironing much smaller sections of hair in your problem area, and go slower down the hair shaft. That way, you can just be more effective with the heat setting you use rather than bumping it up.
As far as the ends flipping outward, unfortunately, that could come with the territory of your hair length. I've found that once your hair gets an inch or two past your shoulders, the length will start to weigh it down and hopefully it will be less prone to the upflip.
One question, do you blowdry? If so, your blowdry technique could also affect the end result of your ironing.
Lastly, you may want to consider getting some sort of heat protection or flat ironing spritz or spray (I know, I know, no specialty products). You could spend $4 on the Tresemme Heat Tamer spray, which I have had a lot of success with in the past, OR consider spending $8 on the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Creme. I've found that sometimes, putting a product will weigh your hair down and make it more conducive to the flat iron, as well as protecting from all the heat. Although, if you don't have split ends, what you're doing must be working pretty well!
I'm no expert in this stuff, and I'm no hair stylist, just a girl with curly hair who couldn't put the flat iron down to save my life! I hope something here is helpful :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic