Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Deficiency & Good Iron Foods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pypeOccut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pypeOccut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Deficiency & Good Iron Foods
    Posted: December 04 2011 at 11:55pm
Adult women who are healthy generally need 18 milligrams a day (if you're pregnant the total should be up to 27 mg).

It's simple.  If you don't get enough iron in your diet you will be tired.  Fatigue will block your ability to exercise or do other things to take care of your health.

An iron deficiency may also create a persistent feeling of being cold.  You may feel tired, cold and it can weaken your immune system over time, opening your body up to a wide range of germs which can make you sick.

What does iron do?

Iron helps carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.  It helps muscles store and use oxygen, and it's found in the enzymes needed to digest food.

Most experts do NOT recommend anyone taking iron supplements.  Instead they recommend that you get the right amount of iron from foods in your diet. 

Listed below are some sources of iron which will help the body:

1. 2 ounces clams: 15.9 mg, 84 calories
2. 1 cup tomato puree: 4.4 mg, 96 calories
3. 1 tablespoon molasses: 3.5 mg, 47 calories
4. 1/2 cup cooked spinach: 3.2 mg, 21 calories
5. 3 ounces shrimp: 2.6 mg, 84 calories
6. 2 cups cooked kale: 2.4 mg, 72 calories
7. 1/3 cup lentils: 2.2 mg, 77 calories
8. 1/2 ounce pumpkin seeds (pepitas): 2.1 mg, 73 calories
9. 4 ounces extra-firm tofu: 2 mg, 100 calories
10. 1/3 cup white beans: 1.7 mg, 85 calories
11. 1/3 cup edamame: 1.5 mg, 85 calories
12. 1/3 cup kidney beans: 1.3 mg, 75 calories
13. 3 ounces turkey: 1.2 mg, 87 calories
14. Half a hamburger patty: 1.1 mg iron, 89 calories

Edited by pypeOccut - December 06 2011 at 5:14pm

PrashantKumar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrashantKumar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 12:25am
Iron is very necessary for our body. If you didn't get the enough iron, you can suffer with Iron-deficiency anemia. Less iron levels usually are due to blood loss, poor diet, or an inability to take enough iron from food.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote healthyhair3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2014 at 5:20am
I began a few months ago to look for information related to the health of my hair. I found that iron was a huge part of the health of my hair and its' overall strength. I began taking a product that has been designed to provide the necessary vitamins and minerals, and have seen a significant difference in overall health of my hair. I began making changes to my diet, as well. I once hated to eat liver, but I found that beaf liver is a great source of iron and zinc which is also important for the health of our hair. I really appreciate the post. It has been immensely helpful for helping me put together meals that will help with my hair.
mariechin1234 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariechin1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 8:10pm
Foods rich in iron are liver and bitter orange.
mariad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mariad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2015 at 8:29am
Is it true that drinking tea reduces iron absorption? I drink tea after each meal.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic