Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Guys? Womens hair. Long? Short?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guys? Womens hair. Long? Short?
    Posted: March 07 2012 at 3:25am
OK.  I'm sure this has been posted somewhere and it will take a billion years just to find it.  But the question is?  Guys.  What is sexy?  Long or short hair on women.

Why?

My ex sold women's shoes.  I tagged along for something to do when she would buy what's in style.  What's in style for women's shoes?  WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS IS IN STYLE.  Someone would coime up with an idea for a shoe style.  Then, a whole campaign would start to convince women that these new styles were in.  The models on TV and Magazines would be paid to wear a certain style shoe.  The model's job was to pose in a certain way to make it look desirable.  It would be then become flooded in advertisements by people who's job is to make you buy it, creating envious ideas in your head in TV commercials... bombarded with subliminal messages to make you think this is the style that's in.  "Money makes the shoe go round."  And, they make a lot of money off it.

Does money make your hair go round?  If so, why do you get that particular haircut?  For the women?  For society?  For the commercial that is enfluencing you?  For what you might think guys like.  The, "I don't care as long as I don't have to do much with it?"

How many women get a hairstyle to attract men?  If so, how do you really know if a guy really likes that haircut?  Guys are funny creatures.  They don't say that much.  It's like this:

"Honey, which top goes with which skirt?"  If you have been in that situation and can not get a definitive answer, why?  They are afraid to say, "yes."  You will ask why?  If you say, "No..."  The next question is, "Why?"  Then the men get nervous and lock themselves in the basement, start cutting wood, and make additions to the house for a number months to get away from that aweful question...

"Honey, do you think I should get this hairstyle?"  The answer, "Well if you think you should..."  But, what does he really think?  (... as he starts making a fireplace, brick by brick...)

Imagine a man who has no reservations on style and tells you point blank what he thinks.  "Wow, cool!" do you say to his candidness?  Or, "That's scary!"

Yikes!!

There are alot of people who tell you what length of hair you should have.  Women hair stylists.  Women in general.  Male hairstylists.

Women get hairstyles for a number of reasons.  Attractiveness to guys.  Attractiveness to women.  For societt.  For work.  For ease of care.

But, does anyone know a good answer for what men like on women.  Women?  Would that influence your decision on a hairstyle?  Guys? Are you brave enough to answer?

HMMMM!Wink

Guys like me notice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 3:46am
OK.  Since I put down this dreaded post I will tell you what I like.

I like long hair.

Why?

I think it has to do with psychology.  You see, we are influenced at a very early age into understanding what things should be.  As wqe get older, we realize that things are not as they seem.

How do you tell if a girl is a girl... or guy is guy when you are three years old?  By hair length and certain colors and style of dress.  A study was done where pictures of girls and boys were shown to toddlers.  They were pretty good at getting them right by sex...accept when certain pictures were added.  Girls with pisie haircuts in jeasns, sneakers and tee shirts... both boys and girls thought all pictures were boys when they were not.  Boys with long hair and scottish kilts were the next to fail.  We are influenced at an early age.

Psychology will tell you that those impressionable years stay with a person to adulthood and influence sexuality.  Thus, the Benny Hill skit where a person has long beautiful blonde hair from the back and when he turns around he has a full beard and the audience gasps!!

Even though we become conditioned to understand that rules can be broken.  But, impressionable years take hold in all of us.

I knew some girls who had told me that they were having trouble with attractiveness.  I suggested that they grow their hair long.  Each one told me that after growing out there hair, more guys asked them out.

So.  Since this is beauty talk, the question is, what hairstyle?  What is attractive to the opposite sex?  That cannot be denied.  So, is what the media showing you... or your friends... even stylists?  Are they accurate?  If the style is not intended to attract someone, the point is mute.  But beauty has an underlying tone.  Is it attractive sexually?

The question?  Are the styles that appear really that adviting?

Hmmm.

Guys like me notice!
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 8:56am

Good, entertaining posts...to which I'm not going to reply just yet. :)  However, I'm giving you the heads up - and will be stunned if it doesn't play out this way - that the majority regular posters here have VERY strong opinions one way or the other to which there is little compromise or middle ground.

If you get responses, I'm looking forward to seeing if this will be less contentious than the Republican/Democrat type "debate" - quotes intentional - that I expect it to be. :)

Oh, and short version: I tend to prefer long hair, but can definitely appreciate medium and short hair on the right person. 

As usual,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Bananapantss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 12:34pm
I pretty much completely agree with the above post, except I usually prefer short hair but can appreciate medium or long as well
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 2:04pm
Don't really know which direction to go, so I will ramble...my apologies.
I have always been more attracted to women with short hair.  I don't know exactly why...might be because I perceive them (right or wrong) as more confident (which I find attractive) or maybe because it emphasizes the other physical features more (face, body...at least in my mind).
Having said that...I have found some long hair attractive.  In fact, when I first saw my wife, she had hair about 4 inches past her waist.  (Now, it is just longer than chin length and I wish she would go shorter). 
So long or short hair length catches my attention, but it seems like short hair (at least in the long run) is more attractive to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 2:30pm
Short hair on a woman was considered a prerequisite  for big business.  In fact the bob was created during women factory workers during the world wars.  Many accidents happened when long hair got stuck in the machinery.  But at the time it was what was needed to be done to win the war and bring home your guys.  Hollywood then made a killing on it, creating it into a fashion statement.

For me, long hair has that feminine, girly look.  But some short hair styles, those that show of the face and neck, wispy kind a look, with the right face shape to pull it off, is very sexy to me.  Again, a girly look.  Some women pull it off, and make it even more mysterious. Yet, long hair is an automatic. I think it was how I grew up... in the 60's when girls were trying there best to wear their hair as long as possible, I was conditioned into seeing long hair as the attractive style.  Yet, long layered hair is just as attrative, maybe more, because it has the natural ability to flirt with the eyes, neck and shoulder.  And, technically, it's shorter. 

I think I grew up believing that the more girly, feminine and soft the woman is the more attractive she seems.  We each have our own preferences.
Guys like me notice!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 2:52pm
     Long of course. There are women who actually look better with a short cut, maybe 1 in 10 or 20. But usually even the gals whom I'd thought looked great with pixie length hair, such as Halle Berry, have blown me away when the locks blossomed. The older the woman with long hair, the more I appreciate seeing her.
     One more point: I don't think that most men's love for long-haired women has a thing to do with culture or conditioning. No one told my heart to start pounding when females started growing out their hair in the 70's! It was simply an innate enjoyment.

Edited by Bob S - March 08 2012 at 2:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 2:55pm
Slightly off the subject...
Also, I have noticed that big paying jobs the women are filling, they are wereing there hair long.  When I was in college, every single girl was creating short newscasting styles just to make sure they could get the job.

That always bothered me.  Why can't the wear their hair long?

You look to young and if you are young you can't handle the job.  I heard that one.  "So, you can't were the hairstyle you really like, that guys like, becasue of some stoggy who is your boss thinking your in grade school?"

There are so many styles for long hair that are very professional.  And, I always new that.  I like long hair... so what can be done to take that hair and make it professional.  Frenchbraid with a tuck-under...things like that?  My ex had short hair.  She knew I loved long hair and she had never worn it that way.  So she grew it long... but she would make sure she wore that hair as professionally as possible.

Now, I see more women in professional positions whereing their hair long.  Finally.  I just wanted to mention that because it was on my mind.

Anyways, back to long hair versus short hair...Tongue
Guys like me notice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 1:55am
So... what do you think?

Guys... is long hair really sexy?

Ladies... why do you wear the style you do?
Guys like me notice!
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 11:06pm

I think in general long hair on women tends to be associated with femininity because we usually think of women as having long hair and boys having shorter hair. Actually when you see a man with very long hair it tends to be a bit odd generally speaking and sometimes when a female has a very short cropped hairstyle she can also be seen as more masculine and this all has to do with socially constructed norms and how we as a society define each sex. That being said it also depends on the person; of course every individual person will have a different preference just like we all have different opinions on what is attractive.

Also some women can remain very feminine and sexy looking with short hair like Hale Berry for instance while others may find it harder to pull off due to the shape of the face and bone structure so  the preference of hair length could be due to numerous factors.

Personally my husband likes long hair; he thinks it looks feminine, pretty and sexy on me. In fact he doesn’t even want me to cut my hair because he loves it so much. I don`t mind because I like long hair on me as well. He has made it very clear that he would love me no matter what my hair looked like because I’ve had this discussion with him just out of curiosity but of course his preference is long hair.

AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 8:09am
I wear my hair long firstly because I like it.  Secondly I wear it long because it pleases my husband. I've always loved long hair.  Ther were times when I had it short.  I even cut it in revenge once.  That was actually quite stupid of me. 
But, for the most part I wear my hair long because I like it that way and I think I look better with long hair.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 4:55am
I love long hair. I do have to say that there is a point that some women can not have it waist length or longer. I knew this woman who wore her hair mid back to lower back. Well she was going to go short. Before sbe did she grew it to her waist the ends got thin. So even though I love long it has to look good.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 5:20am
Agreed!  If you are going to have long hair, male or female, it has to be well cared for.  Keeping it clean and keeping the split and scraggly ends trimmed are two absolute musts.
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2012 at 5:51am
I do support anyone who is growing their hair long. The Hair Support posts on this board I check out everytime someone posts. That is a great way to help out.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic