Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Blonde Highlights or block colour (damaged)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
karmachick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karmachick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blonde Highlights or block colour (damaged)
    Posted: May 11 2012 at 4:50am
Hi all,

I wonder if you could help me? My hair used to be much thicker and I used to get blonde all over colour and only have the roots done every so often.

Now for the past 3 years or so I have been having blonde highlights instead and my hair is thin and keeps breaking.

I am improving my diet and having protein treatments, but I wonder if this deterioration is partly due to having highlights over my hair again and again?

In terms of breakage and fine hair, is a block colour the healthier option as only the roots are highlighted?

I have an appointment next week for colouring and I don't know whether to revert to block colouring?

Any advice professional or otherwise would be appreciated!
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 3:08pm

The less hair you color the better so go for the option that allows you to only color portions of hair if you want to reduce the breakage.

But to improve the overall health and look of your hair and to even regain some of the thickness you should really stop coloring altogether. Coloring your hair as many of us know is very damaging especially if done repeatedly over a long time period. Protein treatments are good to help strengthen the hair but if you keep coloring protein treatments will only be able to help you so much. Maybe ask your stylist if it is possible to use a more gentile hair dye and maybe do a conditioner treatment after you dye it. Also if you are going to keep dying it you should maybe try to cut down on some of the other things that will make your hair break such as heat styling.

bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 5:51am
I agree with what the previous poster suggested. But, please know this...your hair is a reflection of you...LITERALLY. I have been doing hair for 15+ years and I can always tell when someone has:
1 - drastically changed their diet
2 - been really sick
3 - taking harmful drugs
4 - not taking care of themselves
5 - major stress in their life
..... list goes on.....

Only you know what your health is and what you are doing to yourself. I am not suggesting that you are doing something harmful but please be aware, that makes a BIG difference.

The thing I am also concerned of is your highlighting method. Even with highlights, the stylish shouldn't be coloring your whole head...just the roots. Therefore, the highlights shouldn't be causing more damage than all over color. If she is coloring the whole strand over and over again, go to a different stylist!!!!

If you have any further questions, please let us know!!!
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic