Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

to cut or not to cut

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kezialee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezialee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: to cut or not to cut
    Posted: May 12 2012 at 12:02pm
for the first time in my life, my hair is long. i grew up with a twin sister and to make sure we were viewed as individuals, my mom always kept my hair short and my sister's long. in college, i even shaved my head.

my point and question are about how often i need to cut my hair. i read through a lot of posts about growing out hair and one common piece of advice was to get regular hair cuts. however, my hair is growing and growing and i haven't cut it in about 7 months. i don't have the money to get my usual nice/expensive hair cut. i know that with short hair, it's worth the money to get a top-dollar stylist who can create an edgy, clean look that is not overly masculine or feminin and otherwise doesn't look awful. now that my hair is longer (well between my shoulder blades in the back) is a high-quality cut as important? or can i pay $35 for a trim by the people down the street who do my eyebrows? the last time it was cut, the stylist put some fairly elaborate layers in it. will this throw off another stylist? my hair is very thick and needs to be thinned. is this something only a fancy stylist can do well? is there really a difference between an $80 haircut and a $35 one? besides the money?

i just noticed a few split ends this morning, so i'm eager to go get those trimmed off. any insight any of you have about quality/price/fanciness of salons would really help. also, input about how often i should be getting it cut if it grows fast w/o split ends for 7+ months would be great!

thanks!
CryinLion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CryinLion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 3:53pm
Is your hair blunt? It helps to have pictures.

My advice is go to a local barber school. Since you only need a trim, it should be really easy for the students to cut it well, and it will be much cheaper.

Either that, or have a friend cut it. If you notice the ends are not extremely even, use the razor blade technique afterward to smooth out the edges. (YouTube how to do this, its easy).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic