Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme measures for extremely crappy hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pink elephant View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pink elephant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme measures for extremely crappy hair?
    Posted: February 09 2005 at 12:53am
I am a guy with strait hair (about 3 inches long) it is frizzy and jacked up and poofy beyond belief, i havent been to the salon since i razor shaved it last, whenever i try to use gel it looks OK spiked up on the top, but freaking horrible on the back and sides, i am wondering what are some extreme measures i could take, should i ask to get my hair reverse-permed (aka- chemically straitened), what are some options i could ask for besides just slapping gel in it? thanks
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 7:59am
"frizzy, jacked-up and poofy hair" is not straight.

You want extreme measures? Here's my favorite extreme measures.

Shaving - gets rid of all your problems fast.

Cornrows and braiding - never need to see your natural hair again.

Locs - all the advantages of cornrows and braiding, but plus you get to identify with a different social group

Extensions - you get to have somebody else's hair to worry about now

Chemical relaxers - Some people live for the thrill of risk-taking. Lye on the scalp, chemical burns of the scalp and hair, you might even get straightened hair.

Edit to add: the hat! More types available than you ever could wear. Keep your head warm and dry better than your natural hair, too.

Permanent straightening - if money is no object, why not give it a try?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Del Piero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 8:45am
lol ^
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 4:06pm
Sorry to hijack this thread, but Del Piero, the guy in your avatar is HOT beyond belief!

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Innamorata594 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 5:47pm
yes Anais! I think I found my future husband!lol...
Sara
Del Piero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Del Piero, the guy in your avatar is HOT beyond belief!

Anais

I second that!

and that's coming from a guy...
EuroDance!!!
Takin it back to the 90's.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 7:20am
Hot guy aside, LOL eKatherine!

If you really are sick of your hair, you could look into relaxers (at a salon only). It IS putting lye on your head, and there's no chance you're ever going to get your hair to grow long (maybe that's not what you want anyway though)...and there is the potential it could eventually break off to bald (due to repeated relaxing). A lot of people do it anyway though, and some with good results. Like I said though, ONLY at a salon. Way too dangerous to do yourself. (And all those other suggestions are good to I hafta say!)
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 12:17pm
i dont understand the last post. you can relax your hair and it will still grow long. yah- youll have some breakage and depending how damaged it is, it may take a bit longer. but you can still grow it out.
Sara
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 6:47am
Okay, yeah, I probably shouldn't have made an absolute statement there....I was thinking of all the trouble people I've known in the past had even keeping their hair shoulder length sometimes after relaxing...but that's true, with lots of care I'm sure it must be possible, just hard.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 7:17am
yeah--youll have split ends up to your roots! lol...and it will keep breaking off--making it seem thinner and more damaged then it is pre-relaxer.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 7:35am
Originally posted by InnamorataItaliana InnamorataItaliana wrote:

yeah--youll have split ends up to your roots! lol...and it will keep breaking off--making it seem thinner and more damaged then it is pre-relaxer.

Won't that make it impossible to have attractive long hair?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 12:03pm
I have relaxed hair and I could probably grow it long if I was patient enough. I cut it too much though. I hardly ever get split ends although I get a little bit of breakage in the front. I don't use a lye relaxer though I use Phytospecific.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Innamorata594 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 11:44am
Ekatherine: It really depends on what your priorities are...If your number one priority is how healthy your hair is--then it may be a problem growing it out...But making hair with breakage and split ends look attractive is far from impossible. Given the right tools, product, and care(and a little bit of extra time) you can make a healthy head of hair and an unhealthy head look identical(given the exceptions for extreme cases)..For example, I have been through so many processes with my hair(ie:bleach) being the guinney pig in my cosmetology class and my hair is currently about 8in. over my butt(and still succesfully growing) and you would never be able to tell it was damaged unless you get close enough to see the single strands...Now obviously Im going to need to cut it eventually because you can NEVER repair damaged hair. But with one relaxer treatment I would say(Assuming its done right) that you can grow your hair out to LOOK nice, but in reality,yes, it will be slightly damaged.
Sara
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic