Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need hair coloring advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LasVegasGirl31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LasVegasGirl31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need hair coloring advice
    Posted: July 19 2012 at 3:45am
I'm really hoping someone can help me out with this. I've been having my hair colored at a salon for many years. Moved to a part of the country where salon color is very spendy, to say the least. I'd like to try to do my own color. I'd like to try L'oreal Feria color, because it's supposed to give your hair a highlighted look, and got rated pretty good, on the online reviews.

My hair was last colored and highlighted in May. My hair is naturally dark brown, and is colored a couple shades lighter with med. blonde highlights.
Not bleached highlights. I want to use a light brown color, but my concern is that my highlights may come out orange looking. I've been researching online for advice, and there's a lot of conflicting info. I did see in a couple places, that if you go with a darker shade than your highlights it should work out okay. Also, I've seen where some women have ended up with green hair too. (Yuk) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2012 at 6:46pm
Your hi lites will go a caramel colour...Do not use any colours with an ash tone on warm tones mixed with ash tones are what make the hair turn a green colour, so avoid ash tone's...I would recommend you use a soft brown with golden tones, and your hair should cover okay, maybe after a few washes you will notice your hi lites showing through as a caramel colour, but this can look natural, and lovely.... Good luck....remember always do a skin test, before applying with colours containing PPD chemicals to avoid a reaction....Karen
karen sanderson
LasVegasGirl31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LasVegasGirl31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 7:38pm
Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I've decided on a color to use, Clairol Nice and Easy, Natural Lightest Golden Brown. I've been using the Clairol Light Brown root touch up for a couple of months now and looks good. So, I'm hoping when I use the all over color it will work out well. I haven't colored my own hair for over 20 years so, it's a little scary. Are you a hair stylist, or are you just knowledgable about hair color?    Debbie W.
karen s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karen s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 8:23pm
Hi Debbie, Yes I am a stylist....Can I advise you to do a skin test before applying your colour, although you may not have had any allergic reaction in the past, you can
still have a reaction later on in life, especially if you have not applied colour for 20 yrs. You only need to do a skin test if its a permanent colour you are using. apply a small dot of the colour behind your ear, and wait at least 24-48 hours. If you have no irritation then its safe for you to colour. Happy Colouring
karen sanderson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic