Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sexy Kate Upton SuperBowl Ad Attacked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mj48rw83dw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mj48rw83dw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sexy Kate Upton SuperBowl Ad Attacked
    Posted: January 24 2013 at 1:44pm
The Parents' Television Council is outraged over a Mercedes Benz Super Bowl ad featuring model Kate Upton that they say reinforces the notion of using sex appeal to get what you want. The video has attracted nearly 3 million views on YouTube in only two days.

A new Super Bowl commercial featuring supermodel Kate Upton washing a Mercedes Benz has critics complaining that the only clean part of the clip is the car.

The Parents Television Council, a watchdog group that opposes harmful and negative messages targeted to children, has criticized the spot for its objectification of women.

“It’s not the raciest ad that’s ever aired during the Super Bowl, but that doesn’t mean it is just harmless fun, either," Melissa Henson, PTC’s Director of Communications and Public Education, told TODAY.com in a statement.

"This ad isn’t selling cars, it’s selling sexual objectification, and reinforcing for millions of wives, daughters and sisters across the country that you use your sex appeal to get what you want. If anything, this ad proves that we’ve regressed rather than progressed over the last several years. This is not an empowering message for women or girls. It doesn’t encourage respect, achievement, or any values beyond the purely superficial.”

A 90-second trailer for the commercial has already been viewed more than three million times on YouTube since being released on Tuesday.

It starts with the message, "Kate Upton washes the new Mercedes CLA in slow motion," and features the 2012 Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue cover girl blowing soap off her hands and posing as sultry music plays in the background.

Three men in football jerseys and jeans are then shown slowly washing the car with their mouths agape at Upton. The clip ends with her inspecting their work and saying "you missed a spot," before walking away.

Edited by Administrator - January 24 2013 at 2:21pm
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 5:27pm
I guess they chose to single out this particular add to make an example because they use sexuality and more specific female sexuality to sell everything from cars, men's body spay, underwear, beer, food, movies, music you name it they do it.

I guess it depends on your views...some men and women have no problem with seeing half naked women used to sell a car, maybe to some point it is also because it is so common they have become desnsitzed to this form of advertisement.

Personally I think it is affecting society in the way people view women and how women view women, as sexual objects. The problem is it is so common to see this everywhere that it is accepted by so many. I rarley see men's bodies used the way women's bodies are and I do think women are being objectified.

What really intrigues me is that the women who participate don't see anything wrong with this. No one twisted Kate's arm and forced her to make this add, she did it of her own free will regardless of what the message would be to women, men and young girls. Many people are quick to blame men for the use of women in advertisement but why wouldn't a man be enticed by these adds if they are out there? we can't blame them for being human...however those responsible for the adds and the women who chose to participate should think about the consequences. When you change the way the world sees a woman, her worth and sexuality you also alter the way people react to and treat women.

Gone are the days where you can watch a commercial and always know what they are actually trying to sell.

Edited by Ericachristina - January 24 2013 at 5:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic