Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long hair, Age and Walmart/Grocery store

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 3:08am
You do notice many women with short hairstyles in upscale areas but there are some with long hair too.

As far as working class areas, well that is how I grew up and I live a little more upscale now in a standard middle class suburb. To be honest I really didn't notice there being more long haired women in the working class areas I have been in than the middle class suburbs. It seems to me to be a mix of women with different lengths of hair in both types of neighborhoods.

As far as men go though, you do notice more long haired guys and guys with beards in the working class or blue collar areas. The white collar men who work at offices almost always have fairly short hair and usually don't have beards. The exception to that might be guys who work with computers. They seem to be allowed more flexibility with their hair and beards and some of them wear long hair and/or beards.

But I live in the north, in Wisconsin. Maybe it is different in other parts of the country.

This is an interesting topic.
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 4:38am
*was actually at the Wal-mart today, so might as well answer despite being on the wrong side of the tracks* *laughs*
Yes, I do notice an unusual number of people with very long hair at the Wal-mart and other discount stores. I just kind of assumed it was a money thing-- they don't have a lot of money to spend on their hair, so they forgo haircuts and go where the shampoo and other hair products are cheap, to save money.
But it also might be a "cultural" thing, since I live in a very conservative, "Bible-Belt" area, where a lot of people have really old-fashioned views. Maybe they're just stuck on that bit in the bible about long hair being a woman's glory, so they're less likely to go for cuts than people in more liberal areas.
More awesome than a manatee!
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 7:10am
Art exhibits...often are trendy things and trendy well to do people often go to them (ive been to many myself. So that would explain the shorter hair. Besides i didnt say that every person in such and such profession has such and such hair.

And from your pictures your hair is NOT the trailor bleached blond style i was thinking of at all.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 7:13am
In fact you hair is very pretty =)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2003 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

I just kind of assumed it was a money thing-- they don't have a lot of money to spend on their hair, so they forgo haircuts and go where the shampoo and other hair products are cheap, to save money.

It's easy to think that Wal-mart customers can't "afford" haircuts, but that simply can't be the case. Inexpensive haircuts can be had most anywhere. Perhaps the short hairstyles that stylists promote are more costly to maintain (products & tools) and the Wal-mart customers (in general) want to avoid high-maintenance hairstyles. Certainly your style, Kuroneko, doesn't fit the "high-maintenance" category.
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

But it also might be a "cultural" thing, since I live in a very conservative, "Bible-Belt" area, where a lot of people have really old-fashioned views. Maybe they're just stuck on that bit in the bible about long hair being a woman's glory, so they're less likely to go for cuts than people in more liberal areas.

I never thought I would find myself "defending" religious conservatives... but... while I respect your opinion... it may well be that those who you describe as "stuck" on "that bit in the bible" are merely living their faith; naturally, they won't see the issue the same way you do, thus, the different hair length choices.

That said, there are hair-length "exceptions" among the faithful and the non-believing, the conservative and the liberal... sweeping generalizations being difficult if not impossible to prove.
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2003 at 10:31pm
Thanks, Erinlynn. You have really beautiful hair, I noticed. :)

Kris
Karrinne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrinne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2003 at 10:24am
And many of the super Walmarts have cheap hairstyling salons in them! And of course as other posters have said, alot of Walmarts are in the deep south and midwest, the Bible belt.
I shop at Walmart, it's cheap! And I don't cut my hair, but I wouldn't if I had a zillion dollars to spend every week.
I'm not sure what the connection is, but I do know it's there.
hair today/hair tomorrow/hair always
??/37/52
See my hair at http://karrinne1960.tripod.com
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 6:17pm
I agree you do see a lot of long haired ladies at Wallmart,  I was at Disney with my sister, her husband and the 3 kids and saw a lady in the gift shop with hair down to her calfs.  That is something you don't see everyday,  just thought it was interesting.
goddess_mels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goddess_mels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 12:53am
I haven't noticed more long-haired people specifically in Wal-Mart, but I have noticed that since I moved to Southern California, there are A LOT of women with long hair. It's usually layered or has long side bangs, though. I see women with long hair all over the place out here...much more so than I did when I lived in New Jersey. (And no, east-coasters do NOT all have big hair.  )
Mels
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 8:16am
I have seen many women in wal-mart/ grocer's w/ long hair.  Here are my thoughts:
I think that when people go to the mall, they generally want to look nice.   They know that they will be doing a lot of walking and they prepare their hair in a bun, twist it up, tuck it up in a french braid or wear a hat.  If they have long hair, they don't want it to get caught on racks, hangers or dressing room hooks.  People normally go to malls to buy clothing.  I think that women/men w/ long hair would not want to get it tangled when pulling sweaters over their heads or get it stuck in zippers. 
When my hair is pulled up, no one can really tell how long it is, so I think this is the same for others, too.

When people go to Wal-mart/grocer, they go up and down the aisles for food, mostly.  They won't be there too long, and if they will be, they won't be trying to impress.  This is why they probably wear hair down.  I think that grocery shopping can be strenuous because most women try to resist the temptations of buying unhealthy foods and such.  This is why they probably want to be comfortable when they shop.
BTW, I think this is a good hair topic, because it is encouraging to see women w/ hair like I want.  It gives me the strength not to cut.  Thanks for sharing insight on where to find more long haired buddies.  I will keep my eyes out the next time I go to the store!

-Char
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 2:59pm
The reason you see fashionably shorthaired women shopping in upscale stores is that women who have the money to devote to expensive hairstyles are also looking for trendy clothes and accessories. They are the target market of this type of store.

Long hair is never fashionably trendy. Therefore, women who have long hair may see themselves as outside of the fashion treadmill, in which case there's very little reason to sink lots of money into clothes that will be out of style next season.

Women who don't have the money to be fashionable may just give up on it and find a look that they and their husband like, which may very well be long hair. People without much money often shop at Walmart, so you'll see longhaired women there.

Getting back to the original topic, the reason you see older longhaired women working at Walmart but not at the upscale mall stores is that the mall stores discriminate against older women. Age is not considered fashionable or trendy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic