Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Have you shaved your head? What about wigs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
joyology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joyology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you shaved your head? What about wigs?
    Posted: October 22 2013 at 11:32pm
I am looking to gain insight from women who once had medium or long hair, but who have cut their hair extremely short or shaved it. I am also looking for women who can provide me with insight on wearing realistic wigs.

Me and my hair issues:

I am a 26 year old woman who has a mixed racial background.

My hair: Poofy, curly/wavy, but FINE, soft, and brittle (like baby hair). My hair is medium length (in the back) and just touches my shoulders. Because of the nature of my hair, I have been straightening it regularly (with a flat iron) for the past 10 years. I wear my hair in low or regular ponytails (the shape of my hair makes it impossible to style in any other ways) I have chemically straightened my hair twice in my life. I have a very bad habit of playing with my hair (especially in the front/"bangs"). Because of the "mullet-like" shape of my hair, I wear a lot of bobby pins.

Condition of my hair: As a result of continuous, mostly mechanical and physical, damage I have developed a mullet-type hair structure. The hair in the front and on the crown of my head is about 3" in some spots, and between 1-2" in others due to extremely severe break.The back is shoulder length (6" or so).

My hair breaks off and falls out constantly. I wear a satin cap to bed, but even though it has not prevented/stopped the breakage, it prevents me having small pieces of broken hair all over my pillow and in my bed.

Solution: I have talked to professional stylists in the past, who have suggested that the only way to get it back to a healthy state is to cut it really short (pixie or shorter), or to buzz it. They suggest I should keep it natural and not straighten it.

Problem: I have always had mid-length hair, and never cut it really short (I rarely, if ever, get hair cuts now because my hair breaks faster than it grows). I also absolutely loath the poofy and unshapely, wavy/curly nature of my hair--it is not easy to style in its natural state AND it makes me look extremely young ( I already look about 5 years younger than I am, and do not want to look any younger with curly hair). The idea of cutting my hair really short or shaving it devastates me, and I am very emotional just thinking about it. BUT, I am at my wits-end with my hair, and it will only get worse if I do not take this extreme step.

Wig option: If I do get my hair cut off, I would consider wearing a realistic wig with the same color and length as my original hair. However, due to the stigma associated with wearing a wig, I am very nervous about the idea of wearing a wig every day until my hair grows out. I do not know anything about professional wigs or wig-stylist. I am also worried that it will look fake, fall off in public, or that people will notice I am wearing a wig.

HELP!: As you can see, I am in serious need of help from someone who has actually experienced cutting or shaving their hair off and/or wearing wigs. None of the stylists I've talked to have really experienced this themselves, so I do not want to defer to their judgement about the pros/cons of these solutions to my hair problems.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic