Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Re: Can alopecia affect children?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Michael View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Re: Can alopecia affect children?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:19pm
>Jane, The kind of alopecia you have described, alopecia areata, can affect children as well as adults. This is an autoimmune disease that is still poorly understood. It generally begins as small patches of hairloss seen on the scalp. Sometimes it may progress and get worse (alopecia totalis or alopecia universalis) and sometimes it may improve and these areas will spontaneously begin growing hair again. For treatments, you should consult with a dermatologist.
hjhgj
Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:19pm
My sister has three chidlren with the youngest child being a little girl born about 6 months ago. When Jewel was born my sister and brother made a huge fuss over her. Now the oldest daughter, Sara has developed a bald patch at the crown of her head. The doctors told my sister is is alopeica areata. They say it is from stress. Can the be true? i though it only affected adults.Does anyone know if alopecia can affect kids too?Jane
Jennifer Walters View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Walters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 3:26pm
My son who is 3 years old has alopecia Univeralis. He has NO hair whatsoever. No Lashes No eyebrows.

So yes this can affect children. Please inform them of a wonderful organization..National Alopecia Areata Foundation.

www.naaf.org
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic