Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nutrition Info that worked for me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kira View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nutrition Info that worked for me!
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:21pm
I grew up having thick great hair that I almost always wore longish. I permed and coloured and teased. It started getting thinner after I was about nineteen. I started losing lots of hair about 1 1/2 ago when I finally decided to cut all of my hair off and start again. I went from just below the shoulder blades to 1/2" all around with one fell swoop. I started using shampoos and conditioners from the health food store (very little chemicals and alot of natural ingredients). I stopped blow drying, colouring, etc. After reading about jojoba oil from this site I started to do scalp massages several times a week and slept with the oil in my hair. The biggest change was what I found in nutrition books. In order to have healthy, thick hair you need to nourish your body. I just read in a book about hair loss (yes I am still studying the topic - I want more hair) that when a person eats primarily white flours, sugar, excess salt, white rice, hydrogenated fats, caffeine etc. their body needs to use up precious resources and nutrients from any good foods (whole grains, lean meats, fruits, vegetables, fatty fish, etc.) to process digestion. Therefore taking away from other bodily processes such as hair growth. I personally have changed my diet and have noticed a difference. I'm no saint though I ate 10 Ferro Roche chocolates yesterday (monthly hormones).I added the following supplements to my diet that I believe have made a real difference:Silica (I take it in liquid form 2tbl/day)Kelp tablets (10/day) these are a superfoodBiotin (900mcg)Vitamin A (10,000 IU from cod or halibut oil)Vitamin E (400 IU)Brewers Yeast (6-10/day - Full of B-vitamins)Bee Pollen (1 tsp.)Zinc (5 mg)Flax Oil (4 tbl/day)I also take Niacin which opens up the blood vessels in your body. I cut a tablet in 4 and only take a 1/4 per day on a full stomach. This will produce a flush through your body and your skin will turn red. This increases the blood flow to your scalp. Take this at home - I took it before coming to work one day and was sent home because nobody wanted whatever I had. I have only been taking this for about a month. Over time you are supposed to be able to increase the dose.All of this probably won't help someone with allopecia or patern baldness, although it will give them great skin and lots of energy. If you are losing hair though this may be something to try. It won't work over night, but if you keep at it it may help.My hair 1 1/2 years later is just past my shoulders. I was balding at the front (forming a widows peak) which is growing in thicker every month. I no longer have balding patches on my head and my hair no longer comes out in clumps. I lose a very minimal amount of hair when I used to shed it all day long.I'm not a doctor or a hair professional, just someone who got desperate. When I went back to my old junky diet with no supplements for about two months in the summer my hair started to fall out again. Since I started up again the damage was controlled.I hope my experience may help someone else who is struggling to find answers.
Debbie Springer View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Springer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:21pm
> I grew up having thick great hair that I almost always> wore longish. I permed and coloured and teased. It> started getting thinner after I was about nineteen. I> started losing lots of hair about 1 1/2 ago when I> finally decided to cut all of my hair off and start> again. I went from just below the shoulder blades to> 1/2" all around with one fell swoop. I started> using shampoos and conditioners from the health food> store (very little chemicals and alot of natural> ingredients). I stopped blow drying, colouring, etc.> After reading about jojoba oil from this site I> started to do scalp massages several times a week and> slept with the oil in my hair. The biggest change was> what I found in nutrition books. In order to have> healthy, thick hair you need to nourish your body. I> just read in a book about hair loss (yes I am still> studying the topic - I want more hair) that when a> person eats primarily white flours, sugar, excess> salt, white rice, hydrogenated fats, caffeine etc.> their body needs to use up precious resources and> nutrients from any good foods (whole grains, lean> meats, fruits, vegetables, fatty fish, etc.) to> process digestion. Therefore taking away from other> bodily processes such as hair growth. I personally> have changed my diet and have noticed a difference.> I'm no saint though I ate 10 Ferro Roche chocolates> yesterday (monthly hormones).> I added the following supplements to my diet that I> believe have made a real difference:> Silica (I take it in liquid form 2tbl/day)> Kelp tablets (10/day) these are a superfood> Biotin (900mcg)> Vitamin A (10,000 IU from cod or halibut oil)> Vitamin E (400 IU)> Brewers Yeast (6-10/day - Full of B-vitamins)> Bee Pollen (1 tsp.)> Zinc (5 mg)> Flax Oil (4 tbl/day)> I also take Niacin which opens up the blood vessels in> your body. I cut a tablet in 4 and only take a 1/4 per> day on a full stomach. This will produce a flush> through your body and your skin will turn red. This> increases the blood flow to your scalp. Take this at> home - I took it before coming to work one day and was> sent home because nobody wanted whatever I had. I have> only been taking this for about a month. Over time you> are supposed to be able to increase the dose.> All of this probably won't help someone with allopecia> or patern baldness, although it will give them great> skin and lots of energy. If you are losing hair though> this may be something to try. It won't work over> night, but if you keep at it it may help.> My hair 1 1/2 years later is just past my shoulders. I> was balding at the front (forming a widows peak) which> is growing in thicker every month. I no longer have> balding patches on my head and my hair no longer comes> out in clumps. I lose a very minimal amount of hair> when I used to shed it all day long.> I'm not a doctor or a hair professional, just someone> who got desperate. When I went back to my old junky> diet with no supplements for about two months in the> summer my hair started to fall out again. Since I> started up again the damage was controlled.> I hope my experience may help someone else who is> struggling to find answers.THANK YOU!!!! FOR THAT ADVICE! FINALLY I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO. CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT FOODS CONTAIN THESE VITAMINS? I DON'T HAVE A VERY BIG APPETITE AND I EAT MAYBE ONCE A DAY..SO I KNOW THAT I CAN'T TAKE THOSE VITAMINS COMFORTABLY. ....BUT I COULD TRAIN MYSELF TO EAT THE FOODS THAT CONTAINS THESE VITAMINS.
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:23pm
I would also like to thank you for that info. I have an eating disorder and what I do eat is mostly refined. My doctor couldn't figure it out, but it seems as if you have! Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic