Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early sign of hair loss???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steve Richards View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Richards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early sign of hair loss???
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:21pm
I am 19 years old and very concerned about hair loss. I have had very thick hair throughout my life and I would certainly like it to remain that way. However, I recently noticed that every time I run my fingers through my hair, about two to three hairs come out. Could this be an early sign of hair loss or is it just normal? Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks,Steve
Jeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:21pm
> I am 19 years old and very concerned about hair loss.> I have had very thick hair throughout my life and I> would certainly like it to remain that way. However, I> recently noticed that every time I run my fingers> through my hair, about two to three hairs come out.> Could this be an early sign of hair loss or is it just> normal? Any help is greatly appreciated.> Thanks,> SteveSteve: Losing up to 10-20 hairs per day is actually normal depending on what hair color you have. Blond hair is usually thicker with about 100,000 strands present in a normal young head, male or female. This decreases to 75,000 for brunettes and even less for red heads. Patients with black hair are somewhere in between brown and blonde.Couple of hints at your age. Keep your scalp healthy and clean- use proper brushes that are non-traumatic (boar's bristle) and wide tooth combs (turthle shell). Never brush wet hair. Rinse hair with cool or cold water to seal the hair shaft after shamppoing so you are less likely to pull it out. Good multiple vitamin therapy and a well balanced dietis essential. You follow those things, you should have many years ahead of you and perhaps by then the next generation of Propecia will have been born... JL
xoom!
Jeff Ventura View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Ventura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:23pm
Uh, just wanted to correct something here: it is normal to lose 80-150 hairs per day, not 10-20. Depending on individual biology, some may lose up to 200 hairs per day with a completely healthy scalp/hair, and with no predisposition towards future hair loss.I assume "10-20" was just a typo from the previous gentleman's post.Best,Jeff Ventura> Steve: Losing up to 10-20 hairs per day is actually> normal depending on what hair color you have. Blond> hair is usually thicker with about 100,000 strands> present in a normal young head, male or female. This> decreases to 75,000 for brunettes and even less for> red heads. Patients with black hair are somewhere in> between brown and blonde.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic