Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How bad will sew in damage be?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweetdeexo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetdeexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How bad will sew in damage be?
    Posted: April 09 2014 at 9:32am
I currently have colored, fine caucasian hair and I've never heard of anyone with my hair type getting sew in extensions before. I've had all sorts of hair extensions in the past, but recently I've been really interested in trying sew-ins. I have shoulder length, freshly cut hair so it's plenty healthy but I want to start growing it out again. I've read that the braids used will really help protect your hair from heat and damage while they're in but what happens when I take them out? My hair's relatively fine, but lately I've been using Wen and it's really helped thicken up my hair.. but with thickness comes tangles and for the first time in my life I've been experiencing a good amount of them! So my question is, once the braid is in, will it cause matting and is there a way it'll have to get cut out or anything? I'm very nervous about hurting my hair at this point, and I want to make sure I do minimal damage to it so if anyone has anything to put my mind at ease, PLEASE let me know!

Edited by sweetdeexo - April 09 2014 at 9:35am
sunshinelove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunshinelove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 2:48pm
Hi love! So, I have never gotten sew-ins myself before, but know some friends' friends who have done it. I wouldn't recommend it, because they can really damage your hair. If you already have fine hair and wish to grow it, I think clip-ins will be your best bet. I know some companies who offer thinner sets that are designed for finer hair types... for example, my friend has gotten the 120g set from Luxy Hair Extensions and she loves it. It looks natural, the clips are light-weight and they pretty much don't do any damage to your own hair, so you can be confident that your own hair is still growing!

Good luck :)
MellisaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MellisaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 5:01pm
I actually agree with sunshinelove, I have used sew in hair extensions before and although they are better than glue in hair extensions, they can still be very damaging. Your hair will almost certainly tangle as you naturally loose hair everyday and if the hair is sewing in, you will not be able to comb it out, which can cause the hair to tangle. Sewing your hair in also puts a lot of stress on your scalp and can yank your natural hair out from the roots and as you already have thinner hair, this will be far from ideal.

My advice will be to try clip in hair extensions but remember to take them out after use and to never sleep with them in. Also give your hair a day or two's break in between from wearing them. They may not feel as natural as other techniques but in my opinion the fact that they are not permanently fixed to your hair makes them much safer to use. 

You can try the 70 grams pack for a starter, which is light but can also make a huge difference to the thickness of your hair.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic