Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long vs. Short .. My Final Answer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kelci BP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelci BP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long vs. Short .. My Final Answer
    Posted: June 23 2014 at 9:14pm
HI THERE

I'm a 22 year old woman who, 3 hours ago, had long hair (waist length most recently) my entire life. Why did I keep it long? Because everyone else loved it long. All my exes hated when I cut it, even just a trim. You would think a new World War was starting if you heard my girlfriends reaction when I lose a few inches.

To make a long story short (no pun intended), I woke up this morning and while washing my hair in the shower, I decided I wanted to know what it felt like to not have all that hair weighing me down. When I got out, I blow dried it and styled it as I normally do. I contemplated making an appointment at the salon, but I never seem to get the result I expect when I visit, so I continued my day with the nagging thought of a haircut in the back of my mind.

I went to the bathroom and stood in the mirror. At some point, I absentmindedly began brushing my hair. I don't know exactly how long I was there, but when I put the brush down, I knew it was time.

I gathered my hair in a ponytail at the nape of my neck and began cutting. I should have used a chainsaw, it took painfully long and allowed me plenty of time to think about what I was doing. Halfway through, I turned from the mirror. I didn't know how I was going to react if I saw it before I finished.

The last snip felt like 100 pounds being lifted from my shoulders. On my neck I felt a permanent breeze, and for the first time when I reached back to cover it with my hair, there was nothing there to grab. I realized wouldn't have a ponytail for a while. I just stood there stupidly touching the back of neck with one hand and holding my butchered ponytail in the other until I decided I was ready to turn around and face the music.

I didn't recognize myself. I waited for tears, but none came. I just stood and stared. I'd never seen myself without my long locks; I didn't know if I felt pretty, or boyish, or self conscious.

Eventually I tore my eyes away from the new woman in the mirror and focused on cleaning up the cut a bit. It turned out pretty good for a self cut with no experience, I'd say. A bit shorter in the back than the front but overall, I don't think I did too shabby...

Oh yeah, and I happen to LOVE IT. Looking at the before and after pics I took, I don't think I'll ever grow it long again. If you're thinking of cutting your hair, do it. Cut it off, it feels amazing!
Smaxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smaxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 2:33am
Awesome! You should post some before and after pics
Kelci BP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelci BP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 4:03pm
Sure :) How do I do that ?
Kelci BP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelci BP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2014 at 6:54pm
Smaxwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smaxwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 1:26am
It looked good long, but from the sounds of it it looks good short, too. Can you post some after pics?
Kelci BP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelci BP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 11:31am
Kelci BP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelci BP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2014 at 11:34am
Sorry the pictures took so long guys, I had to resize them to fit the upload thingy :-/

But I finally figured it out for ya :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic