Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair Loss and Anorexia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
IRIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair Loss and Anorexia
    Posted: February 20 2003 at 10:38pm
I had suffered from anorexia 6 years ago and still deal with this disorder. Although I try to eat healthy every once in a while I still am paranoid of gaining weight. At the worst point of the disorder my hair had thinned overall, it seems to have grown back and is now an average thickness but I do remember before the disorder my hair seemed a little thicker. Has anyone had similar experiences? Thanks
nona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 11:33am
Your body will sacrifice growing hair in order to take care of other things, like when your sick ... or when your body lacks nutrtion and protein.. any vitamins from the little food you take in is probably going towards important organs like your liver, heart, kidneys, etc... of course the only way for you to see your grow in thick again is to start eatting a healthy, balaned diet... it can be 1200-1500 calories and with exercise you wont gain weight.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2003 at 7:35pm
IRISKeep up the good fight...It sounds like you are doing well.

I have a client she too suffers from anorexia. Through out the years I see her to cut her hair. There were times where her hair would get dull, lifeless, and in the worst time her hair did get really thin.

She is doing better and her hair is much thicker and shiney again.

Non of us can fathom the strength you have every day, to have to fight this thing called anorexia...

You Go Girl.
IRIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 7:13pm
I have been taking vitamins and I try hard to get enough protein and other nutrients. I'm also eating between 1500-2000 calories a day so I guess it will take a while to notice a change in my hair. Thanks for your responses. I'm just glad no one called me rediculous for having an eating disorder or sent any negative feedback.
Carole View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 11:54am
I think it is wonderful that you were willing to share you disorder with us and I admire your courage in dealing with it. Thank you for sharing. You are an inspiration.
Gurus student View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gurus student Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2003 at 1:13am
Just the opposite...you are slaying your demons, so to speak. That deserves a thumbs up in my book. Keep up the good work.

Something from my faith...try to spend some time in the sun. Your hair can soak up Natural Vitamin D...something that is extremely scarce in nature (which is why you see milk fortified with the artificial variety)

It is an old Indian belief that by exposing your hair to the sun, your hair gets stronger and precious vitamins go to the brain.

I've heard debates over how scientific that is....but....sunlight is free!!
Keep hope alive!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic