Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recent hair loss problem...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nosferatu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nosferatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recent hair loss problem...
    Posted: July 20 2003 at 9:30pm
Lately I've been noticing a considerable increase in my shedding, and it worries me. I'm wondering if maybe it's due to the recent hot weather we're experiencing.... Anyway, are there certain brushes/combs you can use that won't pull hair as much??? What about vitamins or supplements that reduce shedding. Please help me!!!

Chris
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 4:25pm
I had a terrible hair loss problem several years ago, and have found that there are different reasons for hairloss, and that you need to research and actually try procedures (shampoos, vitamins, etc.) before finding out what works for you.

You can certainly use hair vitamins in addition to eating healthy to obtain a better head of hair. In addition, using a wide tooth plastic comb when your hair is wet (never brushing it when wet) is always recommended. Easing off of the heat appliances such as blow dryers and curling irons can also help, but if you have a medical problem that is causing your hair loss or heriditary pattern thinning (Androgenetic Alopecia), these will only serve to help the existing hair health, not with actual hair loss.

I would suggest www.hairsite.com -- if you look there, you can research all of the various reasons for hair loss. This is how I found out that I was suffering from stress related hair loss in addition to nutritional deficiencies and was able to determine a regimen that stopped the hair loss and grew my hair back. I started eating healthy, I'm taking hair vitamins (Hair Formula 37 now which includes amino acids, but there are many hair vitamins out there to choose from) and I try to only color my hair on the portion that is not colored (so, keep away from double processing or color on color).

If you maintain a base for healthy hair, which means finding a good shampoo that gets rid of the extra sebum (extra DHT can contribute to hair loss and ridding yourself of sebum rids you of extra DHT), this may also be a big help.

It took me 2+ years to see significant re-growth once I started my regimen of vitamins, stress reduction and eating right, in addition to shampooing daily with a gentle shampoo that cleared my follicles. So patience is key.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic