Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pressure to cut your hair after 30... or is it 40?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pressure to cut your hair after 30... or is it 40?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
Hi Arthur,I actually do spend a lot of time in California on business. I will be there 3x in the next few months. So I will definitely wear my hair down then. :-)Best wishes,Karen> Hi Karen,> Victory is much sweeter when achieve without> compromise.> You should come out to California to do business.> There> are high power executives wearing earrings and> whatnots> out here in the left coast :-)> Best wishes,> Arthur
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
> Hi,> Thank you so much for your great response. I have> decided that I will only "hide my hair" in> the most formal of places. I have a great French Twist> that I can do that allows me to just "cheat"> a little. No new horns...I promise. :-)Glad to hear it!!!> Thanks for the support. I do understand what your> boyfriend went through though. My business partner has> short hair, but a diamond earring and he got> discriminated in his previous job even though he is a> brilliant engineer. People would be very critical of> the fact that he had an earring. Too bizarre.I don't understand why people are so petty -- probably because they're creatively-challenged. :)> I found this great quote on another web site and I> printed it out and posted it on my PC to remind me of> many things, including being true to myself. :-) Long> hair and ALL.> Check it out...I think it is pretty great:> ENDURANCE ~ FIDELITY ~ INTELLIGENCE> "Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires> avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with> mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go much> further than people with vastly superior talent."> ~ Sophia Loren ~I've always loved this lady -- and the quote further makes me admire her!!! Thank you for sharing it!> Thanks again. Your boyfriend is lucky to have you.Karen, you're very kind. . .actually, I think *I* am the lucky one! LOL!!!I would think that a company would be thrilled to have somebody who doesn't fit into the given mold (a phrase that can mean so many different things, but generally referring to something STAGNANT!). . .it shows an individuality that speaks well of other qualities. Then again, people such as this are generally more difficult to control, which can be an undesirable trait in some areas of corporate America!!! :)
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
Karen,Just wanted to say that it made me feel for you when you stated that you weren't sent to college because you weren't a man..I know of other people that had the same thing said to them! I give you so much credit for making it on your own! I can't really say more than what all these other people have advised, but know that my hubby Paul is probably going to have to face the same thing when he gets back to working in England..in France they don't have the same outlook-fashionwise, so for now he can let it grow and experiment.Just please don't cut your hair for any other reason than FOR YOURSELF! Take care.Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:39pm
Gigi,I couldn't agree more!!!! I personally think that this way of thinking is on the decline, but there will, for the time being, be those small minded people who think like that out there. Thankfully, there are many who don't think it's a threat as well, and applaud long hair on women over 40.
Holly View Drop Down

Gigi,I couldn't agree more!!!! I personally think that this way of thinking is on the decline, but there will, for the time being, be those small minded people who think like that out there. Thankfully, there are many who don't think it's a threat as well, and applaud long hair on women over 40.Holly
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Gigi,Hi...if I could have 25 cents for every typo I made on these boards I would be rich. :-) Thank you for participating. Don't worry about spelling. Passion is more important than accuracy. :-)Best wishes,Karen> Who now, should be Whoa now. Your own rules, should be> their own rules. Sorry for imposing my lack of> attention on you all.
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Hi,Yes...I agree. You would think a company would love creative people. I guess things are changing from the way they used to be...but aren't quite there yet.What really amazes me is how some companies that seem to be in total chaos seem to do so well in the business world. That really shocks me. Oh well. I have learned not to be shocked by much of anything these days. :-)Karen> I would think that a company would be thrilled to have> somebody who doesn't fit into the given mold (a phrase> that can mean so many different things, but generally> referring to something STAGNANT!). . .it shows an> individuality that speaks well of other qualities.> Then again, people such as this are generally more> difficult to control, which can be an undesirable> trait in some areas of corporate America!!! :)
Simone. (C) View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simone. (C) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:40pm
Gigi,in my postI told the story of why my hair is short (Not By Choice!!), I have always been a long hair person & I myself cannot understand why society & fashion (some) dictates after 30 something you should go for the classic Bob, ex: Oprah Winfreys Hairstylists are always repeating this ridiculous Mantra of Short is Chic on older women, well I Strongly DISSAGREE, as I am doing everything in my power to grow my hair below the bra line before I'm 40(2 years to go!!), I apologise if my message came across other wise, I am defiantly all for long hair at All Ages & I am looking foward to my long hair again as I feel at my Most Femine with long hair, believe me I don't like putting up with short hair.Take Care,Simone.(C). :)I realize this is sort of a Betty Friedan, Feminine> Mystique sort of comment but it's something I've been> musing on for a while so I'll toss it out there. Its> seems to me that people don't want older women to have> long hair because it is sexy. Sexy has always been a> little scary to folks. Women who are nearing 40 are> clearly also becoming more powerful. In terms of their> earning capacity and in terms of not particularily> caring what other people think, ie., doing exactly> what they want to do. As a woman nears 40 she start to> make your own rules. That's a little scary to people> too. Power and sex? Who now. Forcing women (with> societal pressure) to cut their hair at 40 is a way to> keep them in their place. It's a way of saying, okay,> you can make money and be powerful, but by golly> you're not going to have all of this unrestrained> sexuality on top of it. I could go on for days on> this, but I'd love to hear if anyone else feels the> same.
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:41pm
Where I grew up (in a village in Guatemala), it was considered shameful for a woman to have short hair. I'm referring specifically to the Mayan people, who constituted the great majority of people there. The Ladinos (people who had taken on the hispanic culture) did not feel the same way, and sometimes had shorter or more "modern" hair styles. They also abandoned the traditional dress and changed to typical western dress. They also abandoned the Mayan language in favor of Spanish and usually switched from the Mayan religion (they call it the religion of the cross) to Roman Catholicism.Anyway, almost all women wore their hair to terminal length, wearing it in a single braid tied with a ribbon. Dressing up consisted of using a bigger, brighter ribbon. There was one woman, however, who was sort of the town crazy person. She was homeless, I guess, always sleeping in the town square. She is the only woman I can remember with short hair, other than gringos and ladinos.Related Link:Click here for more on the House of David Baseball Team
theresa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Hi all:Love this thread. Well I am bucking three taboos. I am short, (four feet ten) I have a somewhat round face and I am going to be 50 years ols in July. And I AM GOING TO HAVE LONG HAIR. I have had short hair all my life. Short pixie like styles. I mean I am SUPPOSED TO right? Well tough. No more. I am going to have long hair for once in my life. I have auburn hair, no gray, very very healthy, just the right texture and volume. I think it's one of my best features. So I am going to have more of it now. And I am going to keep it pinned up, as I am doing now. I think that's a pretty good compromise. It will appear short but it will really be long.What's the first thing I hear when I tell folks I am going to grow my hair? "I thought older women were supposed to have short hair." It's the MANTRA. "Well I'm going to keep it pinned up," I say. So they say, "Then why grow it long?"Geezz. What do you say to that? It really bugs me.I think it's a good compromise. It will appear short but it will really be long. I will feel more feminine with long hair to brush out and play with. My goal is a French braid, one of the classiest hair styles of all. I will have one by Christmas. Then they will all feel like fuddy-duds who are afraid to do anything the least bit risky. In the long run, I think that's what's behind the pressure for over 40's to have short hair. It's the herd instinct. If enough women follow it, then having short hair will be a huge sign hanging over thier heads I AM AN OLDER WOMAN, YOU CAN TELL BECAUSE MY HAIR IS SHORT.I'll show them. Every inch my hair grows takes a year or two off my age. (grin)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic