Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Question of Bangs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Question of Bangs
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
I wanted to take a poll of posters at Hair Politics to see how many actually have bangs. I myself hated them until I finally had them cut shorter than usual -- until I saw the tip at HB that the shorter your forehead, the longer your bangs should be, I had no clue as to what length to try. Now I love them and will more than likely keep them.I know a lot of guys who hate it that their girlfriends have bangs. Could anybody tell me why this could be?! They can't seem to put it into words, but rather answer, "It just looks. . .you know." Any ideas?!
Teresa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
Hello,Well, I'm one of the people who doesn't have bangs. I tried them for about a year and a half when I was in college. I had my hair cut up to my waist and got bangs at the same time. I hated them and don't ever plan to try them again. I think it has to do with several different factors. First, they don't really suit my face shape at all. Second, I have three cowlicks in my bangs that I never noticed when my hair was longer because the weight just pulled them straigt. Third, and probably most importantly, I had to style them and mess with them all the time. I couldn't just wash my hair, braid it or bun it, and go. I had to take the time to either blow dry or curl my bangs to get them to behave. I also frequently had to use styling products like mousse or hairspray. I really don't like having "stuff" in my hair.So, I think it's mostly a matter of personal taste and what you're willing to deal with as well as just hair type. Some people like the veratility of styling options that bangs offer, but I just find them an annoyance.Teresa
george View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> I wanted to take a poll of posters at Hair Politics to> see how many actually have bangs. I myself hated them> until I finally had them cut shorter than usual --I like bangs on women who have long hair, usually. I think that most women look better with them than without. For instance, if a woman has long hairm (below the shoulders) I think that bangs are the way to go. However, lots of bob haircuts often look better without bangs. I guess that it just depends on the individual's face.> I know a lot of guys who hate it that their> girlfriends have bangs. Could anybody tell me why this> could be?!Well, I am not one of those guys! Maybe I am in the minority, but I just like 'em better more often than not.
george flett
K View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> I wanted to take a poll of posters at Hair Politics to> see how many actually have bangs. I myself hated them> until I finally had them cut shorter than usual --> until I saw the tip at HB that the shorter your> forehead, the longer your bangs should be, I had no> clue as to what length to try. Now I love them and> will more than likely keep them.> I know a lot of guys who hate it that their> girlfriends have bangs. Could anybody tell me why this> could be?! They can't seem to put it into words, but> rather answer, "It just looks. . .you know."> Any ideas?!I have bangs, I always have but I hate them. They never seem to hang right and they always try and curl up toooooo much. If i pull my bangs back and clip them, someone always says, usually my mom, I like you better with bangs. So I guess I'll just keep them.
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> I like bangs on women who have long hair, usually. I> think that most women look better with them than> without. For instance, if a woman has long hairm> (below the shoulders) I think that bangs are the way> to go. However, lots of bob haircuts often look better> without bangs. I guess that it just depends on the> individual's face.Good point! I think that they look better the longer I get, but sometimes they're still a nuisance. :)> Well, I am not one of those guys! Maybe I am in the> minority, but I just like 'em better more often than> not.If my boyfriend doesn't like them, he's keeping his opinion to himself! LOL! But they do tend to give me a porcupine effect in the morning. . . .
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> If i pull my bangs back and clip them, someone always says, usually my mom, I like you better with bangs. So I guess I'll just keep them.EXACTLY! I even cut them in this last time around because my mother suggested it. . .and I have to admit that she's usually right! :)
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:45pm
> I know a lot of guys who hate it that their> girlfriends have bangs. Could anybody tell me why this> could be?! They can't seem to put it into words, but> rather answer, "It just looks. . .you know."> Any ideas?!Some like bangs, some don't. Some dislike them more thanothers. I prefer no bangs, but it's not a huge deal.When a woman has bangs, she ends up having "two" differentheads of hair -- the bangs, and the rest -- which usuallyend up requiring different approaches to care and styling.Maintaining bangs requires more involvement than not havingbangs.I prefer the look of not having bangs. But that's just myopinion. Hope this helps answer your question.Dave
David M Squires
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
I'm a guy and I think most women look better with bangs, especially ones with long hair. (A perfect example is Helen Hunt-- love her hair long but think she's look better and probably a little younger with bangs.
Lily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
I also read the HB tip about long bangs for a short forehead, but I have a very short forehead and look HIDEOUS without bangs. This is really too bad because I love the no bang look and would love to be able to wear it. When my hair is pulled back, or if I let the bangs grow out to the point where my entire forehead is exposed, my face looks very round and the shortness of my forehead is accentuated. I think baby bangs do look really bad on a short forehead, but when bangs are cut far enough back and thinned out so that they aren't heavy, I think they actually create the illusion of forehead length. Maybe that's what is meant by "long" bangs? In any case, I know bangs soften my face and make me look younger. I let my bangs grow for about a year and noticed I wasn't getting carded anymore. As soon as I cut them, I started getting carded again.-Lily
H. Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H. Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
> I'm a guy and I think most women look better with> bangs, especially ones with long hair. (A perfect> example is Helen Hunt-- love her hair long but think> she's look better and probably a little younger with> bangs.I really like the "geometric" look of long hair with bangs. As Lily said, it can help soften a face, too. I agree with you about Helen Hunt -- she looks far younger and much more "glam" with bangs, IMHO.
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:46pm
Hi folks,I'm jumping in a little late as I was away for two weeks.Well, this news that a lot of guys don't like bangs is surprising to me. I always thought it was the other way around from what I overheard from a conversation between two guys when I was in high school(graduated '85)who were saying they like bangs. It was the eighties, maybe it's a generational thing? My husband graduated the same time and he pefers bangs as well. My Father obviously did not graduate in the eighties and he prefers bangs with long hair, too. So does my mom who is the same age almost as him. It depends on the face and style, I think, but I almost always think that bangs are sexier and younger looking than no bangs on women, although for a different look I'll wear mine up off my face sometimes, just for a change. I think most men (and women too) prefer bangs.Holly
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic