Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are we in a hair lull?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Curlyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are we in a hair lull?
    Posted: May 17 2016 at 1:56pm
Anyone else sense we're in a bit of a "hair lull" for hair trends, without any any new, interesting style bandwagons rolling by lately? 

Bangs have gone (sigh), as have curls (double sigh), rainbow colors (finally), ombre (quietly), side shaves (thankfully) and the lob (mercifully).

Doesn't seem like any major trends have popped up to take their places, which may be one reason it's been relatively quiet here of late. 

Sure enough, the default of the last decade or so -- long, slightly wavy, middle-parted and un-layered -- seems to be returning yet again, as if this is the natural state to which all hair defaults when it's not forced to do something else. That's a bummer for me, as it seems every bit as dated, boring, tedious and unflattering as ever.

Am I imagining this? What new trends do you see? What trends do you wish you'd see? 

Discuss.
Your hair is your best accessory; wear it with STYLE!
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 4:07pm
There are changes out there, but we are getting lazy about posting them.  Kramer can't just keep us going by posting pics of great looking hair!  We just need to dig a big deeper...
JohnnyQuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyQuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 4:54pm
I agree, along with the decrease in overall changes,   there doesn't seem to be a celebrity trend at all for 2016. It's been 30 years since Farrah,  20 years since the Rachel and 10 years since the Pob so maybe a new iconic style will emerge and that will spark changes. 

Even noticing around town,  there isn't much standing out hair wise with either cut,  color,  bangs,  straight /curly.  Seems to be a period of just whatever without anything new standing out 
P-nut gallery View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P-nut gallery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 5:11pm
can it be everything that can be done has been done (if not repeated)...doubtful, but i'm just waiting like the rest of us, lol
fatmoogas View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatmoogas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 3:23am
The really big trend that has cut the legs out from people on this board is that hair has become an instant accessory like jewelry or handbags. With the serious introduction of extensions to celebrity style, most celebs think they can change the length and style of their hair up every day and that there is no longer any need to keep up the illusion of a certain length or style. Few of us are sure about which celebs don't have extensions so we must be careful about what we say. Even more important, celebs are happy now changing from short to long and back to short again within a few days (Halle Berry?). It's difficult to say anything relevant on a hair board when this is going on.
jug jug to dirty ears
Klaatu48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klaatu48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 6:51am
I think you hit the nail on the head, Fatmoogas.
Curlyfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curlyfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 9:12am
Originally posted by P-nut gallery P-nut gallery wrote:

can it be everything that can be done has been done (if not repeated)...doubtful, but i'm just waiting like the rest of us, lol

I think that's true to some extent. There are only so many things you can do with hair, and we rotate through them over and over. Recent side shaves and colors reminded me when I saw the trend the first time in the '80s. 
Your hair is your best accessory; wear it with STYLE!
Ricc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 10:25am
There will always be "new" hair trends, even if they recycle something thought long obsolete. I suppose we are seeing a lull right now, but popular culture is in a bit of a creative slump as well (unless you're a superhero). What I like about trends is that they almost always sneak up and surprise you. Just watch.
Kramer View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kramer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 5:48pm
Every time I see someone growing out a side shave, I want to ask if it was worth it. Maybe the side shave grow-out is a new trend?

As for extensions, I'm stunned how many celebs use them these days -- especially newsbabes. I guess fake is in.
Who has more fun than people?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic