Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hairstylist????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
judee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairstylist????
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
What is it with beauticians lately?? Thelast past 4 years I had nothing but bad luck with people who cut hair....for 25.00 I can't get what i want? There seems to be a lack of communication in the 'listening to what the client wants department'. I have even tryed to make it easier buy showing the last hairstylist what a shoulder length blunt cut without bangs looks like in a photo out of a hairstylist magazine. What i got was "you need some bangs, you need a perm, you need to color your hair speech.Does one have to go to a really expensive place to get what one wants? I am of the opinion that these people are told to "push" for more business or that the ones that I've ran into for hair think they're right up their with all the Famous New York hairstylist or "wannabes". I never go back to the same ones twice cuz I am not dumb...but what's a person to do for a good haircut???
Lily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
It's been my experience that you get what you pay for. Generally, the fiascos I've been a victim of have occurred in less expensive salons. Maybe stylists just naturally move on to the more expensive places after they've built a clientele and gained lots of experience. I recently moved from CA to a small town in the Midwest and had sections of my hair absolutely fried during a simple foil hi-light weave. I went to one of only several salons in the town and paid considerably less than I used to pay in CA.
H.Taylor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H.Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
I'm very fortunate in that I receive excellent haircuts for thirty dollars -- well, forty dollars with tip. The lady I go to listens very carefully -- and I went to her on a whim! She works at an Ulta 3 salon, and does a wonderful job. She took twenty minutes to cut a man's short hair -- usually I see men in the chair for maybe ten minutes and that's it, so this further impressed me.You may want to check with your friends or family members for recommendations, or see if anyone on the Board lives near you and if they can provide you with the name of a good stylist.Good luck!!!
Lurker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:47pm
> What is it with beauticians lately?? Thelast past 4> years I had nothing but bad luck with people who cut> hair....for 25.00 I can't get what i want?What makes you think this is something that is happening "lately"? Most "stylists" that I have ever patronized are not consistent at all. Well, they are people, and people often have "bad days"....it is a bad deal though when YOU have to be the one to "wear" that bad day for a few months.> I have even tryed (sic)to make it easier buy showing the> last hairstylist what a shoulder length blunt cut without> bangs looks like in a photo out of a hairstylist magazine.> What i got was "you need some bangs, you need a perm, you> need to color your hair speech.Simply put: just get as much distance between yourself and this "stylist" as you can! Anyone who cannot cut a simple bob without bangs (either because of incompetence or unwillingness to follow instructions) needs to be out of the hair business!> Does one have to go to a really expensive place to get> what one wants? I am of the opinion that these people> are told to "push" for more businessBingo. Most stylists rent chairs in a salon, and they get a big chunk of what they charge the clients.> ...but what's a person to do for a good haircut???There are several solutions to your problem: 1) Find a good stylist that you can trust (may take time and lots of bad experiences, 2) find a friend who can cut hair (I do my wife's hair lately after she had a bad butchering by a local "stylist"...I got a "how to" video and I stick to simple trims and blunt cuts), or 3) you can do what I do to myself: buzz cut (just joking...I really do buzz my hair these days, but I don't think that is a valid solution for most people, especially women!).Honestly, I just got mad at paying for cuts that I hated, and so did my wife after her experience a few months ago. Now, it doesn't cost us anything, and I do a pretty credible job on her hair. Get your boyfiend or husband, or a trusted friend, to try a trim, you may be suprised at the results.
Diane K. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane K. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 8:48pm
> What makes you think this is something that is> happening "lately"? Most> "stylists" that I have ever patronized are> not consistent at all. Well, they are people, and> people often have "bad days"....it is a bad> deal though when YOU have to be the one to> "wear" that bad day for a few months.> Simply put: just get as much distance between yourself> and this "stylist" as you can! Anyone who> cannot cut a simple bob without bangs (either because> of incompetence or unwillingness to follow> instructions) needs to be out of the hair business!> Bingo. Most stylists rent chairs in a salon, and they> get a big chunk of what they charge the clients.> There are several solutions to your problem: 1) Find a> good stylist that you can trust (may take time and> lots of bad experiences, 2) find a friend who can cut> hair (I do my wife's hair lately after she had a bad> butchering by a local "stylist"...I got a> "how to" video and I stick to simple trims> and blunt cuts), or 3) you can do what I do to myself:> buzz cut (just joking...I really do buzz my hair these> days, but I don't think that is a valid solution for> most people, especially women!).> Honestly, I just got mad at paying for cuts that I> hated, and so did my wife after her experience a few> months ago. Now, it doesn't cost us anything, and I do> a pretty credible job on her hair. Get your boyfiend> or husband, or a trusted friend, to try a trim, you> may be suprised at the results.Lurker,I was very angry when I read your answer to to Re: Hairstyling. But after I calmed down for a while I tryed to see your point of view. I am a hairstylist have been one for 8 yrs now. Your right it dose take a while to find a good sytlist. And Im happy you can cut hair to your and your girlfriends liking more power to ya! I think thats great and you are saving money. But did you know that we as hair stylist go to school for 1500 hrs (in michigan) plus pass the boards in order to recive a license.Then when your on your way and you work in a salon everyday 8 to 10 hrs a day. Seeing at least 10 to 15 people a day if not more. Dealing with personalities and hang ups and crankey pepole who had a terrible day. Were only human like eveyone else and there is no excusse for someone who has done you wrong. I agree whole heartedly your correct agian. I guess what Im trying to say is not every stylist is a hacker and incompetant. Im just curiuos what kind of work do you do? Do you deal with people? Its not an easy job dealing with people on a regular basis. But you no that when you do something write that makes it all worth the while!Oh and stylist dont ususal make huge amouts of money on renting chairs. They usualy pay a weekly or mothly rent on the stations. Plus they pay for products and over head then whats left is theres. The good stylist are the ones that make all the money because they have happy people returning to them on a regular basis and they in return tell others.Good luck with your future hair cutting and the nexed time your girl friend is getting a trim, think about what it would be like if someone was sitting in frount of you that was as angry as you were when you wrote your message. They came in that angry that is, and wanted you to make them beatiful(Or handsome witch ever the case maybe). Just the flip side of the coin.Very Respetfuly,Diane K.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic