Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Theatre Hair Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Theatre Hair Dilemma
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I was wondering if someone could give me advice on a touchy subject. I've been acting for quite a few years, and every time someone else does my hair for the character, they totally destroy it! I have fine hair that I used to color, and I would just cringe every time the hairdresser brought out her curling iron and hairspray. (Trust me, those two are a deadly combination!) I have to cut an inch or so off my hair each time this happens. It really messes up my growth progress. I've always been a little shy, and I know I need to be more assertive about this. Does anyone have any tactful suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
Dawn from RareGems View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn from RareGems Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
How about wigs? Or making sure that when you show up for a performance your hair is already done in character so they don't have a reason to touch it? Even if the part calls for some unfriendly hairdos you could either do it yourself or have a friend help to at least minimize the damage so you don't have to cut afterwards. At the very least a gentle, "I'm trying to grow my hair out, do you think you could be a little easier on it?" is certainly in order. It sounds like you've already sacrificed enough for your art!Good luck! Tell us how you worked it out!Very best wishes to all,Dawn> I was wondering if someone could give me advice on a> touchy subject. I've been acting for quite a few> years, and every time someone else does my hair for> the character, they totally destroy it! I have fine> hair that I used to color, and I would just cringe> every time the hairdresser brought out her curling> iron and hairspray. (Trust me, those two are a deadly> combination!) I have to cut an inch or so off my hair> each time this happens. It really messes up my growth> progress. I've always been a little shy, and I know I> need to be more assertive about this. Does anyone have> any tactful suggestions? Thanks a bunch!
Shell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
I really appreciate your advice! I especially like your idea on doing my hair before the performance. I mean, what can they say? It's just less work for them, right? The only problem is I'm not very good at styling my own hair. It's fine and stick straight and I don't like to mess with it very much. Maybe I'll find some hairstyle videos and practice with all the hair tools. Or, I could be more assertive and just tell them politely to back off a bit. I guess when push comes to shove, I'm the person in charge of my hair. I just get a little tired of having my hair tugged and burned by insensitive strangers. Thanks again for letting me bend your "ear".Shell
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:07pm
Shell--This happened to me in high school. I played Wendy in Peter Pan, and before every show the girl in charge of hair would /straighten/ my permed hair and then use a curling iron to make banana curls. She'd spray it with so much hairspray it was shellacked.Since then, I've had a few torturous hair experiences in modelling, which I had to endure because I was getting paid, but nothing like those banana curls.This is what I would do: Tell the stylist your hair is very fragile and can't take heat styling. Bring your own steam curlers, and then offer to either let her use it on you, or do your own hair.Another alternative (one I love) is a clip-on fall. You can get these for under $30 at beauty supply stores to match most any hair color. To wear one, you sweep your own hair up in a ponytail, clip the extension to the top, and then tuck the tail into the hidden hairnet. The match doesn't even have to be perfect, because you'll be on the stage.Good luck.Ally
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic