Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't ALL styles be unisex???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why can't ALL styles be unisex???
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:11pm
Why can't ALL hairstyles, regardless of length or cut, be unisex? Women used to only wear long hair and men only short. Now millions of women wear short hair and most people like women with short hair. Some men wear long hair and some poeple also like that. But there are still a large number of styles that are considered off limits to guys by a majority of people where I live. I live in the south and I am a guy that would love to have my hair cut into a shoulder length bob with bangs. I did have a bob with bangs that came to the bottom of my ears with bangs but due to pressure from friends and family I had it cut. I loved it but everyone said that it was too girlie and feminine. Even my stylist said that she thought it fit my face and everything. Am I just living in the wrong part of the country? Women wear styles thattraditionaly are for guys so why can't guys wear longer prettier styles?
Jamie :)
RiverRat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
> Why can't ALL hairstyles, regardless of length or cut,> be unisex? Women used to only wear long hair and men> only short. Now millions of women wear short hair and> most people like women with short hair. Some men wear> long hair and some poeple also like that. But there> are still a large number of styles that are considered> off limits to guys by a majority of people where I> live. I live in the south and I am a guy that would> love to have my hair cut into a shoulder length bob> with bangs. I did have a bob with bangs that came to> the bottom of my ears with bangs but due to pressure> from friends and family I had it cut. I loved it but> everyone said that it was too girlie and feminine.> Even my stylist said that she thought it fit my face> and everything. Am I just living in the wrong part of> the country? Women wear styles thattraditionaly are> for guys so why can't guys wear longer prettier> styles?--------------Jaime,I think you answered your on question. Some styles look more feminine than others, while some styles look more masculine. Haven't you ever seen a female with a buzz cut and think that it is a man's cut? (I know I have) I'm not saying that it is right or wrong - just a fact. Relate it to what someone wears or guys wearing makeup...Some do it but they do have to deal with the "acceptable" style. Who knows many years from now, bobs may be the style for guys. Didn't guys use to wear wigs with white powder on them many years ago?
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
> Why can't ALL hairstyles, regardless of length or cut,> be unisex?...Now millions of women wear short hair and> most people like women with short hair. Some men wear> long hair and some poeple also like that.It is all about society and norms. It is the same reason that you don't name boys "Susan" or "Elizabeth" or "Rachel".Of course in all things there is some "crossover", such as names like "Terry" or "Alex" which can be unisex. Same for clothes: lots of women today wear pants or jeans, but few men wear skirts (unless you are in Scotland). But in some cultures, men and women wear similar clothes.Same for hairstyles in our society: lots of women today wear ultra-short hairstyles that are about like a man's traditional haircut (buzzed short in back and on the sides, longer on top), and lots of men wear traditionally feminine styles, like long hair. However, it is rare to see a man with a feminine short cut, like a woman's bob or wedge, BUT you do see this from time to time, especially among younger men and boys.It is just society and its norms, which change with time. Maybe in a few more years there will be more of a crossover between "men's" and women's" styles.Zorak
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
Dear Jamie,I have read so many of your posts involving this bob which you really adore. I think I told you about the guy I knew whose was longer, but not like what you are talking about. I can't say that I have ever seen what you are talking about on a gentleman in any community in which I have lived. The South is more conservative than say California in a lot of ways, but I don't think this bob you are mentioning is something regional or something.You decided to get rid of the style due to comments about it being feminine or girlish. Yet, you feel sort of sad about it. I don't know how you resolve that. Either keep it and live with the comments or dump it as you have and forget it.I feel about jeans the way you do about this bob hair style. I am sure you've heard about women and trying on jeans. I wish that my body could conform to the myriad of styles of women's jeans, but it really doesn't. I'm short-waisted, with long legs and few hips. I've tried and given up. I can walk into the guy's section with the proper waist and inseam and the jeans fit 99.9% of the time perfectly. I'm not looking back:)Bye for now,Jade21Why can't ALL hairstyles, regardless of length or cut,> be unisex? Women used to only wear long hair and men> only short. Now millions of women wear short hair and> most people like women with short hair. Some men wear> long hair and some poeple also like that. But there> are still a large number of styles that are considered> off limits to guys by a majority of people where I> live. I live in the south and I am a guy that would> love to have my hair cut into a shoulder length bob> with bangs. I did have a bob with bangs that came to> the bottom of my ears with bangs but due to pressure> from friends and family I had it cut. I loved it but> everyone said that it was too girlie and feminine.> Even my stylist said that she thought it fit my face> and everything. Am I just living in the wrong part of> the country? Women wear styles thattraditionaly are> for guys so why can't guys wear longer prettier> styles?
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
Jamie,For the individual, it depends on their willingness to endure, and deal with, the social/societal "consequences" of their out-of-the-norm choice.Dave
David M Squires
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
> Some styles> look more feminine than others, while some styles look> more masculineExactly! Personally, I prefer a man to look like a man and a woman to look like a woman.
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
Jade,Your comments about jeans are true and thinking about it men are very restricted by society as to appearance where as girls have all the versatility. Women wear guys clothes and guys hair cuts and people don't think twice about it. On the other hand, guys can only wear pants/shorts and shirt/dress shirt while sporting short haircuts to be accepted. Girls can wear short hair, long hair, medium hair, dresses, skirts, pants, shorts, blouses, t-shirts, etc. Men are being supressed from reveling their inner personalities and feelings. I would like to be able to wear whatever hairstyle, clothes, makeup, whatever that I wanted to like women can. I appreciate your comments but I feel that men are getting the short end of the self expression stick.> Dear Jamie,> I have read so many of your posts involving this bob> which you really adore. I think I told you about the> guy I knew whose was longer, but not like what you are> talking about. I can't say that I have ever seen what> you are talking about on a gentleman in any community> in which I have lived. The South is more conservative> than say California in a lot of ways, but I don't> think this bob you are mentioning is something> regional or something.> You decided to get rid of the style due to comments> about it being feminine or girlish. Yet, you feel sort> of sad about it. I don't know how you resolve that.> Either keep it and live with the comments or dump it> as you have and forget it.> I feel about jeans the way you do about this bob hair> style. I am sure you've heard about women and trying> on jeans. I wish that my body could conform to the> myriad of styles of women's jeans, but it really> doesn't. I'm short-waisted, with long legs and few> hips. I've tried and given up. I can walk into the> guy's section with the proper waist and inseam and the> jeans fit 99.9% of the time perfectly. I'm not looking> back:)> Bye for now,> Jade21> Why can't ALL hairstyles, regardless of length or cut,
Jamie :)
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:12pm
Jamie,On balance, I would say that you are right. Those guys who attempt to break out of those restrictions often pay a hefty price whether it's ridicule, violence, loss of a job or whatever. Hopefully, in time, our society will recognize that men should be allowed to make the choices for themselves without fear of a hostile environment.All the best,Jade21Jade,> Your comments about jeans are true and thinking about> it men are very restricted by society as to appearance> where as girls have all the versatility. Women wear> guys clothes and guys hair cuts and people don't think> twice about it. On the other hand, guys can only wear> pants/shorts and shirt/dress shirt while sporting> short haircuts to be accepted. Girls can wear short> hair, long hair, medium hair, dresses, skirts, pants,> shorts, blouses, t-shirts, etc. Men are being> supressed from reveling their inner personalities and> feelings. I would like to be able to wear whatever> hairstyle, clothes, makeup, whatever that I wanted to> like women can. I appreciate your comments but I feel> that men are getting the short end of the self> expression stick.
jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:18pm
> Exactly! Personally, I prefer a man to look like a man> and a woman to look like a woman.Folks,I case you all haven't been paying attention to the news lately, Hate crimes based on color, sex, SEXUAL ORIENTATION,handicaps, and religion are now becoming illegal in many areas. Sexual orientation encompasses the way a person dresses in regards to the way they feel about their sexuality. I would suggest that many of you who try to impose the rigid dress standards bases on sex, start thinking in terms of what you say may get you thrown into jail, sued, Etc. We all need to remember that all of us are human and have different wants, and as long as a person isn't violating a persons safety and freedoms, we should be allowed to do what we want with ourselves, this includes our hair and body. I would think Body piercing would be a subject that would require more criticism. Hair can be changed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic