Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair length history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair length history
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
I'm certainly no historian, but it seems that at first, only the "radical" young flappers of the 1920s "bobbed" their hair, whereas any respectable young lady had long hair that was probably kept up in a bun. I think cutting their hair was seen as a sign of independence from having to deal with long hair and to perhaps lessen the distinct differences between men and women.But then the tide turned, and it's extremely hard to find a picture (other than of very poor women in the depression who couldn't afford a haircut, let alone scissors or even food!) of a woman in the 1930s with long hair. Short hair was definitely the norm. And it was severe and *very* aging, even on young women.And in the 1940s and 50s, short hair definitely ruled, although long hair was less of a rarity than in the 1930s. Some of the very first photos of Marilyn Monroe (I definitely preferred her younger days when she seemed innocent and happy and I *loved* her long hair) showed her with long hair.And then the swinging sixties.....! Long hair on both men and women was definitely a sign of rebellion. And long hair became more mainstream in the 1970s. In fact, it was radical to have extremely short hair. In the 1980s, hmmm....I think almost anything went, though people tended to not go for extremes.So today, July 1999. What is mainstream, and what is radical? I think on women past 40, short hair is mainstream, but longer hair is definitely not unusual like it once was. Whereas most of us women here sported that God-awful pixie as children, I've seen everything from pixies to down the back for little girls today.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic