Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Are perms for men really gaining acceptance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are perms for men really gaining acceptance?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Yesterdays hair tip stated that more men are having perms and that men were looking more for body and waves rather than curl.Over the past ten years I have had a number of such perms, that is not curly ones, but I have to question how popular they have really become for men and the attitudes of both stylists and people in general towards men and perms.Part of the problem I think is the attitude of stylists. With the exception of a couple of very enthusiastic stylists who were very keen to give me a soft perm to help style my hair, most of the others were either indifferent or almost sneering with contempt which made me feel self conscious.Another problem is that I am not sure that people in general are really accepting of men who have perms. This is true mostly of other men.I would be interested in how others see this situation.Mark
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Unfortunately, Mark, I believe that Robert Reed, aka "Mike Brady", gave the perm for men an enduring black eye with his "white guy afro" that became an icon of 70's bad taste (e.g., look at "That 70's Show"). Though I am sure that the perm you have is probably very natural, stylish, and no where near that "Brady" disaster, that is the image most folks call to mind when hearing "man" and "perm" in the same sentence.Sorry about that,JFRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
dc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
Well, the curly one was really low maintenance, but I got the scorn and contempt from my late uncle, who accused me of being queer. The funny thing is , I really dig chicks. Guess he felt I was a bit of a fop for exploring men's hair care. He isn't here to defend himself, and I still prefer women.Proceed at your own risk.dc
dc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
dc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
:(
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:14pm
>Hello Mark:I know a few men that like having perms. Not a big deal at all. It is actually nice. I would have said something nice to DC but he seems to like to argue with himself. lol>>>
Alec View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:15pm
From my experience it is true that more men are getting perms, dying, bleaching and otherwise getting seriously into their hair. You see it everywhere today, whether its at the mall, around town, or at your workplace. Think of how many young guys you see with braided cornrows, older 30 something guys with curly mullets or even older guys in their 40's and up who've grown out their hairs into little weekend ponytails. It may not be the trend that the fashion world is pushung with the short hair look, but its out there all around.My boss, for example, who is close to 50, has been very successful establishing his ad agency over the last decade or so and he feels the confidence and financial comfort enough to express himself with the image he wants. First he grew out his beard full. Then, he's been growing out his thick salt and pepper colored hair since the winter and for a while there he had worn it in a ponytail. But last week he came in with this cool perm he had done at the suggestion of his stylist. Its not exactly curls, more like an ocean of tight waves that he combsback with a gel or mouse and I think its great. Certainly a lot more intersting that the straight hair he had. I think most the people here (guys included) like it so I really don't see the prejudice thing against men with perms.Maybe others feel differently?> Yesterdays hair tip stated that more men are having> perms and that men were looking more for body and> waves rather than curl.> Over the past ten years I have had a number of such> perms, that is not curly ones, but I have to question> how popular they have really become for men and the> attitudes of both stylists and people in general> towards men and perms.> Part of the problem I think is the attitude of> stylists. With the exception of a couple of very> enthusiastic stylists who were very keen to give me a> soft perm to help style my hair, most of the others> were either indifferent or almost sneering with> contempt which made me feel self conscious.> Another problem is that I am not sure that people in> general are really accepting of men who have perms.> This is true mostly of other men.> I would be interested in how others see this> situation.> Mark
Jean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
My suite-mate last year got a perm that looks terrific. His was desire, however,just the opposite from what you describe most guys want with a perm. As he grew out his thick and abundant chocolate brown hair, he found the natural waves to have less curl than he wanted. It was kind of layered and wavy and unmanageable no matter what he did. So his stylist suggested he get a perm with loose curls. It turned out better than great. When she was done he had this sensual jungle of loosely curled, profuse locks covering his head from his forehead, down over his ears and across the back of his neck. She put in some discreet amber and caramel highlights and was it ever attractive. The perm gave his hair a lively, healthy, masculine appeal. I ran into him the other day and the perm looks as handsome as ever and with this full beard and bushy walrus-like moustachehe's developed, he looks like a powerful Greek God or something. It made we wish we were still> Yesterdays hair tip stated that more men are having> perms and that men were looking more for body and> waves rather than curl.> Over the past ten years I have had a number of such> perms, that is not curly ones, but I have to question> how popular they have really become for men and the> attitudes of both stylists and people in general> towards men and perms.> Part of the problem I think is the attitude of> stylists. With the exception of a couple of very> enthusiastic stylists who were very keen to give me a> soft perm to help style my hair, most of the others> were either indifferent or almost sneering with> contempt which made me feel self conscious.> Another problem is that I am not sure that people in> general are really accepting of men who have perms.> This is true mostly of other men.> I would be interested in how others see this> situation.> Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic