Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Fashion designers pressure Claudia Schiffer to cut her hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fashion designers pressure Claudia Schiffer to cut her hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fashion designers pressure Claudia Schiffer to cut her hair
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
The other day somebody pointed me to the following web page: http://celebritiessupermodels.com/supermodels.htmI was appalled with these designers' attitude (Giorgio Armani, Paul Gaultier, and Karl Lagerfeld) toward Claudia Schiffer.Comments, anyone?DaveRelated Link:Article on Claudia Schiffer
David M Squires
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> The other day somebody pointed me to the following web> page:> http://celebritiessupermodels.com/supermodels.htm> I was appalled with these designers' attitude (Giorgio> Armani, Paul Gaultier, and Karl Lagerfeld) toward> Claudia Schiffer.> Comments, anyone?> DaveHello DAve:I know how difficult is it for models to be on top and make their name. I worked with a few and learn how difficult it is.I am very appalled to the attitude of some of those designers . I am thinking of one particular, Paul Gaulthier. I have seen one of his shows and his models were walking around half nude and he expected the people to find this fashionable!At times I really wonder who the hell is their market anyways because some of that wardrobe I reallly can't see anyone wearing it.People are not object. I find that the models are not treated as human beings at times with those expectation, little boobs, big boobs, wrong eye color, wrong skin color , oh right eye color this year etc. The hell with them but it is not easy when someone really wants to be a model and has to endure that crap.The model in question is beautiful. To say she is out of date wwll they can go to hell. I wish that the table would turn around and they can actually see what they are doing to the models. One can change style but to expect model to change so drastically is not human.
Jade21 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jade21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
Hi, Dave!I guess all I can say after checking the website is that I am not surprised. I think the designers are misguided, but I am not surprised at their attitudes.First, I like Claudia and I would characterize as a natural beauty. It's hard for me to believe that she is described as "voluptuous." Her breasts are not huge. They look right on her figure. So does her weight. Is she really heavy for a model? I don't think so.Second, I do agree with Diane about the modeling business being extremely impersonal, like a meat market. Also, I forgot to mention that I have seen several interviews with Claudia and I do think she is intelligent and a wise businesswoman. Kate Moss could never be in her class:) I do believe that Claudia is grounded enough to know that when it's time for her to exit modeling, she will make the decision. I honestly don't see anyone pushing her out,even with what these designers have said.Designers are strange. I remember seeing Oscar de la Renta on a show onetime previewing some of his clothes for the fall. The clothes were gorgeous and the models were beautiful. It was interesting because all of his models wer black. However,the only thing the women had in common really was their height---very tall. All different shades, all different body types. At the end of the show, he hugged all of the ladies with his characteristic big smile and said, "Aren't they all beautiful!" Apparently, he caught a lot of "noise" from the industry for his use of black women. In an article by Elle magazine, he indicated that he loved black women. He was originally from Santo Domingo and he was used to seeing brown and black women. He believed that the "color" enhanced his clothes.Good question....Bye for now,Jade21The other day somebody pointed me to the following web> page:> http://celebritiessupermodels.com/supermodels.htm> I was appalled with these designers' attitude (Giorgio> Armani, Paul Gaultier, and Karl Lagerfeld) toward> Claudia Schiffer.> Comments, anyone?> Dave
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
I personally think she's gorgeous! But, part of her job is marketing herself. I don't necessarily think she needs to change to make herself more marketable, but if designers won't hire her, she's got a problem.Think about it -- there have been some great films in our time, but if they don't make money, they don't stay on the marquee for long.It's a tough, but realist view of the world of modeling.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
Here is my two-cents worth on this issue:From the web page in question:"Update your image or your out! That's the tough message the world's most famous fashion designers have sent to supermodel Schiffer. Bored with her long blonde locks... Claudia has been branded a catwalk disaster by the likes of Giorgio Armani, lean Paul Gaultier and her one-time mentor Karl Lagerfeld. It seems Claudia has fallen, out of favor because of her reluctance to change....she needs a new hairdo - fast!..."Claudia doesn't represent a breath of fresh air,"...."she represents an old, recycled generation. From a professional point of view, it really annoys me that she has the same hairstyle." ...although she did cause a sensation when she wore a chic, cropped wig at a recent show for British designer John Gafliano...."Well, when you work for somebody else, sometimes you must do things that are not exactly to your liking. As someone else here said, she needs to market herself if she wants to stay in modeling, and that may mean a haircut. Hey, no big deal.This kind of fits in with my rantings a few months back, about changing with the times and not keeping the same old hairstyle for years and years. I kind of agree with what the designers are saying: they are in the business of promoting fashion, and this means something different every few years. If one model has a problem, then there are hundreds of others waiting for their chance to be "blessed" as the new top supermodel.Of course, Claudia is free to forgo the makeover. If she thinks that her chances are better in, say, movies or commerical endorsements, then that is her business. But, I think that she will find herself with fewer and fewer contracts if the fashion industry starts to push her aside.This is what happens when your sole sotck in trade is your physical beauty....sooner or later you are shoved aside as other younger models move in. If she is as good a businesswoman as some here have suggested, then she has socked away a considerable sum of cash over the years in profitable investments, and she doesn't need the job to sustain herself.If she still models because it is an "ego thing", then she needs to come to grips with the reality of being an object for others to show off like a prized toy, because that is what models are: they are little dress-up dolls for the fashion industry.Zorak
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
>Dear Zorak:You mention no big deal for her to get a haircut. Okay on the scale of things it isn't such a crisis or whatever but they also mention her body. Is that no big deal?They demand things like it is going out of style and yet they are trying to please us the consumers that buys their products. Do we change our body parts or whatever every year just to be in fashion? Maybe a tiny percentage do but the average every day consumer that goes and buys the dress, or pants,etc doesn't and the consumer has long hair , short hair or no hair.> I buy lots of fashion clothes. I would like to know that the model is enjoying her job and is not being torture into something she isn't. One year it is short hair and the next is long hair so off the models goes and get extension and then off they go again to take the extension off the following year. One year it is huge breast and off they do and torture their bodies and the next year it is the flat as a board look so there are many breast reductions done.It is really about time that the public says to the designer Lay off the models. We as the public accept the way we are most of the time and little changes in life and yet models are expected to be barbie dolls one year and the next not.The bottom line is the whole idea of the model is that we can imagine how we would like in that piece of clothing and yet I feel that the designers are not living in reality.>
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> Dear Zorak:> You mention no big deal for her to get a haircut. Okay> on the scale of things it isn't such a crisis or> whatever but they also mention her body. Is that no> big deal?If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the kitchen!Modeling is all about PHYSICAL BEAUTY. Nothing else matters. Brains, "inner beauty", etc...doesn't amount to a hill of beans!Since physical beauty is ephemeral, and is also subject to the "common standard" (ie, some times in history more "full figured" women were considered beautiful, now the "common standard" is slimmer women, etc), anyone who chooses to go into a business that puts physical beauty first had darn well better accept the implications of their chosen job.If Claudia Schiffer were a PhD astronomer, I doubt that she would be asked to cut her hair, etc. But she chose to go into modeling, and that is definitely an industry where the models are at the whim of the fashion designers!> I buy lots of fashion clothes. I would like> to know that the model is enjoying her job and is not> being torture into something she isn't.Then write a letter to these designers and see what happens! I can almost guarantee you that it will wind up in the "round file" (aka the trash can).> One year it is short hair and the next is long hairYup. They chose the job of fashion model, they must do what the job requires if they want to stay in demand as models.> The bottom line is the whole idea of the model.......is that they are little play toys of the fashion industry. Well paid, but still regarded as mere objects by the major players, like these designers, who call all the shots!The bottom line: Claudia Schiffer is free to not do what has been requested of her. If she believes that she can still remain a "supermodel" without kissing ass to the power players, it is her choice.But, I believe that she will find that no matter if she was a highly regarded top star model, she is still just a model, with no real power in the world of fashion. She is going to be handed her hat if she doesn't kowtow to the high muckity-mucks that are really calling the shots.Z.PS: This goes a long way towards showing how silly it is for people to idolize fashion models anyway. The whole idea of "supermodels" is silly. These women are for the most part just high-paid sex objects of an industry that makes its fortune by objectifying women. For people to idolize such is really indicative of how far society has fallen into decay.Really. Pro-wrestling fans, bozos slobbering all over cardboard cutouts of "supermodels", idiots who get drunk at sports events and paint their bodies different colors and who idolize "sports heros" that brutally attack fans and even their own coaches, fools who watch such TV trash as Springer and Jenny Jones....these are the "suckers" that P.T. Barnum spoke of! And we are rapidly becoming a nation of dumb suckers!When people fall for such junk and tripe, it lowers the common standards that we all must live by. This is the core reason for such outrages as shoolyard shootings and other brutality: the common standard has been lowered by huge media conglomerates which only care about money.When people idolize "supermodels", it falls right into the plans of such people, who grow rich by making fools of the public!Rome fell. Their citizens placated with "bread and circuses", playing to the lowest common denominator. Is this what we are becoming?Supermodels.....BAH!!!!! Give me a woman like Catherine "Cady" Coleman any day of the week! Now there is a real hero for us to look up to! And she has long pretty hair too!
Unregistered
Unregistered
I agree with you Zorak. IT is a vicious endless circle, little girls want to be models and models are treated like garbage because designers dictate how it will be. Talk about wrestling. Well for sure it is ban in my home because one 7 years old accidently killed his 3 year old brother by doing a wrestling move.Yes it is no use to write to the designers. It is like a set of domino blocks. Something extremely major would have to happen to stop the circle and I seriously don't know what that would be.>>>>>>
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
Hi Dave,Well, this really got a response!:) I remember reading that SHE decided to do this for her new career in acting. I'm not sure if it was she herself who said that or just the author of the article making an observation. Whatever, but I think what really bothers me more is the body attitude than about the hair, although I have an opinion on both. (After reading the article you linked, I now doubt the only reason she cut it was for acting-to be taken "more seriously", as the article said).I may get flack on this, but I know I'm not the only one who has ever thought or commented on this (I don't think I ever read it here, though it seems like I have). I just think that it's pretty obvious that most of these designers are gay, and the don't really look at women like heterosexualmen do. Of course they want women to look unisex. To be fair, another reason they want such thin bodies is because the designers want the focus on the CLOTHES, not the MODEL-at least, that's how it was before the days of the "supermodel". When people like Cindy Crawford came along, they were actually just more athletic looking versions of the models from the pre "Twiggy" look. Now it seems the tide is turning back to thin again (we had the early nineties "heroin look" that seemed to be going away a little bit, but it is coming back just a little more cleaned up looking). I'm only surprised that long hair is as much accepted among the models as it is, but maybe (unfortunately) this is fashion backlash against the "extension" look? I just don't understand how extensions can be fashionable right now, and RIGHT NOW Claudia is out for one of the reasons being that she had long hair (that is now to her shoulders approximately).I'd like to know more about this "falling out" she had with Lagerfield. I read a lot of fashion mags and haven't heard about it. Anyone familiar with that story? Maybe this has more to do with her being on the outlist. Then again, Cindy Crawford had cut her hair last year, so it looks like it's the trend for designers to rule on this for only the "supermodels" who have ALWAYS had long hair.So, there really is nothing to be done, except a total revolt of buying these clothes and I don't see that happenning. Writing letters is always a nice try but it's true, they will just probably end up in the garbage.The best thing to do is just take it all with a grain of salt. I would NEVER accept what is fashionable for myself solely on what the designers say is fashionable. They're just guidelines, in my opinion.Holly
Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> If you can't stand the heat, then get out of the> kitchen!This is true. Unfortunately, the designers would have all women looking unisex in real life, the only ones they can dictate that mindset to is models-but they do get paid a lot for such demands. We as the consumer should be more upset about it than models-then again, I haven't heard that Claudia is upset about it. Who knows?> Then write a letter to these designers and see what> happens! I can almost guarantee you that it will wind> up in the "round file" (aka the trash can).Absolutely!> PS: This goes a long way towards showing how silly it> is for people to idolize fashion models anyway. The> whole idea of "supermodels" is silly. These> women are for the most part just high-paid sex objects> of an industry that makes its fortune by objectifying> women. For people to idolize such is really indicative> of how far society has fallen into decay.> Really. Pro-wrestling fans, bozos slobbering all over> cardboard cutouts of "supermodels", idiots> who get drunk at sports events and paint their bodies> different colors and who idolize "sports> heros" that brutally attack fans and even their> own coaches, fools who watch such TV trash as Springer> and Jenny Jones....these are the "suckers"> that P.T. Barnum spoke of! And we are rapidly becoming> a nation of dumb suckers!> When people fall for such junk and tripe, it lowers> the common standards that we all must live by. This is> the core reason for such outrages as shoolyard> shootings and other brutality: the common standard has> been lowered by huge media conglomerates which only> care about money.> When people idolize "supermodels", it falls> right into the plans of such people, who grow rich by> making fools of the public!> Rome fell. Their citizens placated with "bread> and circuses", playing to the lowest common> denominator. Is this what we are becoming?Yes, and I agree with every word of this. Everywhere you look (media wise, etc.) society is going down the tubes, but as a Christain who has read about this in the Bible, it's not surprising to me.>to look up to! And she has long pretty hair, too!Well, she better!:)))) Just kidding, folks!Holly
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
I'm reading all these posts about the oppression of supermodels, and I'm laughing like a hyena. I'm almost choking at statements like, "These standards aren't fair to people who want to model..."Modeling is a ruthless industry. It is possibly the only business that evaluates and promotes its workers /exclusively/ on the basis of their physical appearance. Intellect, charm, and work ethic are not even factors. Have you ever heard of the appalling behavior many models exhibit on the set? Photogs and designers will put up with just about anything from these women, as long as they can take their picture. The handful of women who make it to the top KNOW this. They also know that they are being paid an enormous amount of money for the use of their /image/.Their image is everything. That's the catch when you make millions of dollars for standing around in someone's clothes and makeup. You have to look the way /they/ want you to look. And /they/ have a short attention span. Models are expected to update their image every few years or so if they want to keep working. It's not always a long hair vs. short hair thing. (Rebecca Romjin, for example, made a change when she grew her hair LONG.)The reason for this is obvious: The supermodels are sooooo exposed in the media, people get sick of looking at them. We get desensitized to their beauty. "Oh, look, there's Cindy Crawford on /another/ magazine cover."Claudia Schiffer is indeed voluptuous for a supermodel. That is to say, she has breasts and hips when many of them have boyish builds. But all these arguments about her weight, her hair, her freedom of choice, and her career are ridiculous. She accepted this career path and lifestyle, and she can walk away any time she chooses to.We're not talking about a single mother who needs her job at Wal-Mart to feed her three kids. She is getting paid an OBSCENE amount of money to stand around and look good. If the designers want her to cut her hair, pierce her nose, or shave off her eyebrows, that's their prerogative. It's hers to say "No, thanks," and move on.What's the worst that could happen? She'd have to get a real job like the rest of us?Ally
Erin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> The other day somebody pointed me to the following web> page:> http://celebritiessupermodels.com/supermodels.htm> I was appalled with these designers' attitude (Giorgio> Armani, Paul Gaultier, and Karl Lagerfeld) toward> Claudia Schiffer.> Comments, anyone?> DaveUgh that makes me want to throw up.Personally Im tired of all the models with their short hair. Long hair is beautiful on some, such as Claudia, and she should be respected, not ridiculed
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
Just a couple of quick things here, since the fact that world of modeling and fashion has already been correctly described as ruthless, unfair, and, in many cases, out of touch with reality.1) If Claudia wants to remain a popular runway model, she will most likely have to bend to the wishes of the designers. It's pretty much that simple. Sure, I agree that the majority of runway models are sexless stick women at this point and I truly hope she won't do it, but that doesn't mean she may be left with no choice. Hopefully, she'll opt to use her fame and popularity to branch off like Cindy Crawford into other areas, since Cindy can call her own shots now.2) We've extensively discussed at this point the "arbitrary" standards of current fashion and whether or not it makes sense for people to try to be trendy based on societal pressure. The world of haute coutoure (sp?), however, multiplies that by 100. They have their own standards that most people find inexplicable and, unfortunately, if a model wants to exist in that world, they are left with little choice but to conform.Want a great example? Meghan Douglas. When I first saw her on the modeling scene she was a stunning, natural, All-American type beauty. You'll probably recogize her from this old Finesse ad she did: http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1077/mdfinesse.jpgA year or so later, you'll probably still recognize her here because of the eyebrows: http://www.geocities.com/FashionAvenue/1077/mdlaet9610b.jpgShe let her hair grow out after this, but recently I saw an interview with her where her hair was once again supershort and her eyebrows plucked very thin. Other that not even recognizing her, I thought that she wasn't nearly as striking as before; now having the more generic bland model look.But then again, she didn't need to conform to MY standards, did she?As usual,JerkyFleaRelated Link:JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Zorak View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
>> (various positive comments about Catherine Coleman, the >> female astronaut who happens to have very long hair)> Well, she better!:)))) Just kidding, folks!I guess that I am fairly suprised that NASA has never forced any of their female astronauts to cut their hair short for space missions. Did you see the pics and vids of Coleman explaining the deployment of the Chandra X-ray observatory? Her hair was massively floating around in zero-g! It kinda looks wild and sexy like that :-)Z.
RiverRat View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RiverRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:16pm
> I'm reading all these posts about the oppression of> supermodels, and I'm laughing like a hyena. I'm almost> choking at statements like, "These standards> aren't fair to people who want to model..."> Modeling is a ruthless industry. It is possibly the> only business that evaluates and promotes its workers> /exclusively/ on the basis of their physical> appearance. Intellect, charm, and work ethic are not> even factors. Have you ever heard of the appalling> behavior many models exhibit on the set? Photogs and> designers will put up with just about anything from> these women, as long as they can take their picture.> The handful of women who make it to the top KNOW this.> They also know that they are being paid an enormous> amount of money for the use of their /image/.> Their image is everything. That's the catch when you> make millions of dollars for standing around in> someone's clothes and makeup. You have to look the way> /they/ want you to look. And /they/ have a short> attention span. Models are expected to update their> image every few years or so if they want to keep> working. It's not always a long hair vs. short hair> thing. (Rebecca Romjin, for example, made a change> when she grew her hair LONG.)> The reason for this is obvious: The supermodels are> sooooo exposed in the media, people get sick of> looking at them. We get desensitized to their beauty.> "Oh, look, there's Cindy Crawford on /another/> magazine cover."> Claudia Schiffer is indeed voluptuous for a> supermodel. That is to say, she has breasts and hips> when many of them have boyish builds. But all these> arguments about her weight, her hair, her freedom of> choice, and her career are ridiculous. She accepted> this career path and lifestyle, and she can walk away> any time she chooses to.> We're not talking about a single mother who needs her> job at Wal-Mart to feed her three kids. She is getting> paid an OBSCENE amount of money to stand around and> look good. If the designers want her to cut her hair,> pierce her nose, or shave off her eyebrows, that's> their prerogative. It's hers to say "No,> thanks," and move on.> What's the worst that could happen? She'd have to get> a real job like the rest of us?> Ally------------Right on Ally,She has the choice to move on. I recently got a new boss who demands that males wear ties. I would always dress nice (dress pants and polo - type shirts) I hate ties but given the choice I started to wear ties. If Claudia thinks the sacrifice is too much she can try something new. Personally, I am sick of seeing all the models with the long straight hair. Sure there are a few that look good with long hair but many do not. (ex. Trish Goff) Check out this site to see how she looks with short hair) http://www.women-celebrities.com/celebs/trishgoff.html) I wish there was more of a variety.
Holly View Drop Down

Hi,To tell you the truth, I've never seen her. I live over here in France and hardly ever watch T.V. as I don't have any English television. So I just don't watch it (only my videos from the States and England). I haven't seen her picture in any neswpapers, either! Strange, maybe I just happen to miss it because I do get mags. like Time now and again at the newsstand. Anyway, I see what you're saying about the safety aspect. Probably looks cool though. Just hope she doesn't get it caught on something! I myself would have to tie it back, or I couldn't keep my mind on what I'm suppose to be doing-then again, that's why she's an astronaut-and why I'm NAUT! HAR HAR!!!!HollyPlease throw tomatoes and rocks at above address!:))))
Holly View Drop Down

Hi Riverat,Yeah, I agree but I didn't ever read where Claudia is upset about it. I think she just goes along with it, or did it to be "taken a little more seriously" as an actress, from what i read in a magazine. That is a another topic for this post, I guess. Well, I guess I'll start it then!:)Holly
Terry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:17pm
> The other day somebody pointed me to the following web> page:> http://celebritiessupermodels.com/supermodels.htmI checked out Dave's link and then read the rest of the comments in this thread. I'm no fashion victim, but I have to comment here. Why is anyone surprised that gay designers want their models to look like pretty boys? They are attracted to pretty boys. Pretty boys are IT to them. Now, as for me, I have a size 10 to 12 figure and a 38D bosom (and long hair). I would look ludicrous in clothes that would look good on a pretty boy. If you look like a pretty boy, you would look good in fashion clothes - I applaud you. Buy. As for me, I buy for my own look and figure, and I find sewing and altering clothes to make MY figure look good works better than trying to make certain designers change their personalities and styles.PS - Claudia is fabulous. Now there is an attractive person. Wow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic