Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long hair and athletics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long hair and athletics
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:21pm
I'm just curious if there is anyone here with hair at least down to her waist who is active in athletics, specifically with swimming, long-distance running, or white-water rafting. I have to admit that although I honestly don't care for the look of short hair, I do see why many female athletes wear short hair, especially professionals. Long hair can always be pulled back, but it's the frequent hair-washing that I would think would cause problems. And how does all that hair fit comfortably under a swim cap?!Thanks!
Glenn View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glenn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:21pm
I consider myself pretty atheletic. I direct adult sports activities at a resort and I'm a guy with dense, long dreads, which they're not pulled up or back hang down to my waist and my naval in front. Often times at work I'll simply have them pulled back and woven into a big plaited braid, or at least they're pulled back and clipped at the top in the middle and at the bottom. I'm out and about a lot during a typical day, visiting the tennis courts, pools, links and our other facilities. But I also spend time in more sedentary roles, at meetings, busiiness lunches and behind my desk. So the style seems to work well enough. Occassionally I have to substitute for some instructor whose out. On those days and in the morning when I do my daily jog, the plaited braid is just to bulky and out of control, so my girlfriend will separate my locs into two big pigtails, which she then braids. Then we'll wrap them each with a heavy duty ace bandage which hugs the dreads well and can be wound as high as I want. I find its easier to have my locs in front of me than whipping around in the rear. When I'm jogging the wrappings work well to absorb a lot of the perspiration. The things we do for vanity! But I do love my locs, been developing them 5 years this month! I'll be curious to know what others do.> I'm just curious if there is anyone here with hair at> least down to her waist who is active in athletics,> specifically with swimming, long-distance running, or> white-water rafting. I have to admit that although I> honestly don't care for the look of short hair, I do> see why many female athletes wear short hair,> especially professionals. Long hair can always be> pulled back, but it's the frequent hair-washing that I> would think would cause problems. And how does all> that hair fit comfortably under a swim cap?!> Thanks!
PD View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:22pm
Hi Jena,When I started taking martial arts, I found myself facing a huge problem: my hair, which is almost down to my knees. I found that the only way I can keep it from getting all over the place is to make a pony tail, braid it, and lift the ends making a loop out of the braid. Took me a while to find the "perfect style". Swim cap? With long hair, probably looks like there's a tumor hiding under there! Hehe.> I'm just curious if there is anyone here with hair at> least down to her waist who is active in athletics,> specifically with swimming, long-distance running, or> white-water rafting. I have to admit that although I> honestly don't care for the look of short hair, I do> see why many female athletes wear short hair,> especially professionals. Long hair can always be> pulled back, but it's the frequent hair-washing that I> would think would cause problems. And how does all> that hair fit comfortably under a swim cap?!> Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic