Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women over 40: Why do you cut it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Horace View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women over 40: Why do you cut it?
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
Why do women over 40 cut their hair? For me, and for a lot of men, nothing is more beautiful than an older woman with shoulder length hair or longer, epecially if it's tied up in a ponytail with a scrunchie or if it's worn loose.I think, and I think a lot of men feel the same way, that even with gray hair - especially with gray hair - women look so much more feminine when they grow it longer.So if there's any older women out there who think they need to cut their hair just because of their age - you don't! :)
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
> I agree with your asesement that ladies do look verypretty with long hair after age 40. In my Square Danceclub there are four ladies,that have thick,heavy,grayor silver waist length hair,that are over age 50. Thehusbands did manage to convince the four ladies over age50,to grow out their waist length hair. The four ladiesdid take hair vitamins,recieved regualar scalp massages,and the husbands washed and shampooed their hair, alongwith just trimming the split ends,and most importantnever allowing the ladies to go to a beauty shop. If a manhelps a lady over 50,in taking good care of hair,a lady cangrow some really,thick,heavy gray or silver hair down toher waist. It is very pretty,brilliant and very femine to see thick and heavy straight or curly waistlength gray hair on older ladies over 50.
Diane from Canada View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane from Canada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
> Some women have this idea that they will look younger if they cut their hair. Personally I always say when a woman cut her hair at 40 she just announce to the community that she turned 40.Not that it looks bad or anything of the sort but it is common.Also society gives us this message and the family. I am 38 and I have lots of commnents of the sorts.Some women really want to stay young as long as they can.
Kim, the Not-so-Newbie Kim, the Not-so-Newbie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim, the Not-so-Newbie Kim, the Not-so-Newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:24pm
Hi there. I have another decade before I reach the big 4-0, but I have always thought that it's silly to urge women to cut their hair after forty. This society is so preoccupied with youth, and yet when you reach a certain age, what is perceived as a "youthful" haircut is looked down upon. Personally, I think that long silver hair is just about the most noticeable hair colour after red, and draws attention to the person sporting it. Women of a certain age, however, aren't encouraged to draw attention to themselves, which is why I think they are pressured into cutting their hair. Just a thought.Kim> with just trimming the split ends,and most important> never allowing the ladies to go to a beauty shop. If a> man> helps a lady over 50,in taking good care of hair,a> lady can> grow some really,thick,heavy gray or silver hair down> to> her waist. It is very pretty,brilliant and very femine> to see thick and heavy straight or curly waist> length gray hair on older ladies over 50.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:25pm
Hi Kim,This society is> so preoccupied with youth, and yet when you reach a> certain age, what is perceived as a> "youthful" haircut is looked down upon.Actually, kind of the opposite. Sometimes the shorter length actually looks more youthful than the longer hair.Long hair lengthens the face. If a woman has the start of lines between her nose and mouth, the hair accentuates the lines, hence making her look older. This is not true for everyone, but for several women it is. Some women may look younger with longer hair, and some may look younger with shorter hair.Also, as we graduate into new transitions in life (at certain ages or having a baby), we like new looks.
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:25pm
> Jena, I think the majority of older ladies do lookgood with long hair. When a husband or boyfriend,doesthe washing.shampooing,and trimming of split ends,a ladyover 50 can look fantastic with thick heavy waist length hair. I know of nine ladies in my area,with thick,heavy straight long hair down to their waist. All the ladies take hair vitamins,and get regular scalp massages,and have nevergone to a beauty shop in the last 15 years. All nine ladieshave told me,that they definetely do look younger withlong waist length hair. The nine ladies range in age from51 to 63. Helga at age 57,has beautiful,thick,heavy,prettywaist length silver hair. Helga"s husband has taken careof her hair for the last 15 years. Hair vitamins andregular scalp massages really help hair growth on ladiesover 50. Many men find artistic beauty in a lady overfifty with thick,heavy pretty silver waist length hair.I will say the men,take total care of these ladies hair,and these ladies never go to beauty shops. Long,thick,straight silver waist length hair on woman over 50,can project a,beautiful,brilliant,radiant female image,of strong,artistic female enhancement,to the men.A lady does have youthfull appearance in long hairover age 50. There is an increasing number of men,asking ladies over 50,to let their hair grow out long,and to them (their husbands] take all the care necessary.
Cher~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:25pm
I am 40 and a few months back cut my near waist length hair off to top of shoulder length because I feel more appropriate. I do not look 40 in my face but do have some silver streaks so I felt it would look better for me to have a style I would feel good about. I actually have had more compliments on my hair since my cut and recently had someone say the silver looks like I had it frosted on the sides instead of just graying hair.(I leave it hang down much more nowadays) Long hair can look great silver.. but you have to be happy at heart to wear it like that. It's not for everyone..but hey, I feel my shoulder length hair is long for my age so it's all relative. Anyway... I wanted to pop on board to say hi to everyone.. with Tropical storm Dennis upon us, our boat is put away and I am back at the pc.. nice to see posts from Jennifer Eve!! Hello Jennifer! I hope the TLHS email list is hopping. take care everyone.. best regards Cher~Why do women over 40 cut their hair? For me, and for a> lot of men, nothing is more beautiful than an older> woman with shoulder length hair or longer, epecially> if it's tied up in a ponytail with a scrunchie or if> it's worn loose.> I think, and I think a lot of men feel the same way,> that even with gray hair - especially with gray hair -> women look so much more feminine when they grow it> longer.> So if there's any older women out there who think they> need to cut their hair just because of their age - you> don't! :)
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:25pm
>CHER, I totally agree with Horace,that most ladies over40 look great with long hair. The ladies in my town,have gotten far more good compliments when they did growout there thick heavy silver waist length hair.For most ladies over 40,growing out thick,heavy,waistlength hair,can be the best female experience a ladycan have. A ladies long hair is an artistic enhancementof the female identity. Many other older ladies are justjealous of those older ladies with waist length hair.The older ladies with waist length hair look so pretty,to men. Many female beauticians,love to chop any ladywith long hair,they are jealous of the older ladies longhair. Horace,their are a lot of men in the United Statesthat just love waist length hair on ladies over fifty.My lady friend Linda,who is age 50,has grown her thick,heavy,brown hair for eight years. My lady friend has verypretty,beautiful,magnificent and thick brown waist lengthhair at age 50,and she is very proud of it. Horace Iagree with you one hundred percent.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:25pm
How is it that you know the intimate beauty routines of (it seems) nearly all the women in your town? And, if I'm not mistaken, you live in a small town, so how is it that there are so many middle-aged ladies with ultra-long hair living there?Is there something in the water in Norfolk that makes hair grow long and makes the average husband a slave to his wife's hair?Really, I am just very curious as I'm sure many others are here, as well.
JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:25pm
> I am 40 and a few months back cut my near waist length> hair off to top of shoulder length because I feel more> appropriate. I do not look 40 in my face but do have> some silver streaks so I felt it would look better for> me to have a style I would feel good about. I actually> have had more compliments on my hair since my cut and> recently had someone say the silver looks like I had> it frosted on the sides instead of just graying> hair.(I leave it hang down much more nowadays) Long> hair can look great silver.. but you have to be happy> at heart to wear it like that. It's not for> everyone..but hey, I feel my shoulder length hair is> long for my age so it's all relative. Anyway... I> wanted to pop on board to say hi to everyone.. with> Tropical storm Dennis upon us, our boat is put away> and I am back at the pc.. nice to see posts from> Jennifer Eve!! Hello Jennifer! I hope the TLHS email> list is hopping. take care everyone.. best regards> Cher~> Why do women over 40 cut their hair? For me, and for a
Cher~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cher~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:25pm
> Mark.. you are more than free to have your own opinion..but length of hair varies from woman to woman and her appearance at middle age. I have seen some silver haired ladies who desparately needed to do something with themselves.. then quite the opposite, I have seen women who were stunning with very long hair. One of the things that turned me off with the Long Hair site is the length of hair that rates being called LOng.. If my husband were to sport the length of hair I have now.. he would look like he needed to visit a barber asap. I did not feel good about myself with waist length hair with silver all mixed in. I felt I needed to do something with it all the time. either braiding or putting it in a bun. Plus, as I have said many times on the TLHS email list, we do alot of boating and very long hair just didn't fit in. So, please do not group all middle aged women into one mold and say all should have waist length hair at least. It's quite irritating. I am an advocate of long hair on women.. but long varies.. I think shoulder length hair is long but just not very long, of course. I could easily grow my hair to the floor if I wanted to.. it grows like a weed. But you have to feel good about yourself with your given hairstyle or depression or a feeling of being unattractive sets in. That's how it got with me.. I think some of the men here are quite suppressive in their attitude. I am glad I am married to a man who loves me and not my hair length only.. wouldn't that be quite shallow? He would love for me to grow it super long but like he says..: if mama ain't happy.. ain't nobody happy.. take care.. and remember long hair comes in many lengths.. Cher~40 look great with long hair. The ladies in my town,> have gotten far more good compliments when they did> grow> out there thick heavy silver waist length hair.> For most ladies over 40,growing out thick,heavy,waist> length hair,can be the best female experience a lady> can have. A ladies long hair is an artistic> enhancement> of the female identity. Many other older ladies are> just> jealous of those older ladies with waist length hair.> The older ladies with waist length hair look so> pretty,> to men. Many female beauticians,love to chop any lady> with long hair,they are jealous of the older ladies> long> hair. Horace,their are a lot of men in the United> States> that just love waist length hair on ladies over fifty.> My lady friend Linda,who is age 50,has grown her> thick,> heavy,brown hair for eight years. My lady friend has> very> pretty,beautiful,magnificent and thick brown waist> length> hair at age 50,and she is very proud of it. Horace I> agree with you one hundred percent.
Mark View Drop Down

>JENA, why do you not reply to my personel e mail address.At the Square Dances,where I met and talked to the nineladies, I asked them about how they took care of theirlong hair. The ladies gave me detailed anwers aboutsaving money by not going to a beauty shop,and lettingtheir husband taking care of their. The other men in thistown do the the same thing. There is nothing againstshort haired ladies over 40, but I and some other menhave an interest in super long hair ladies over 40.I am talking about 19 ladies with very long hair, outof a total female population of 12,000 ladies. So withthese figures you can see the focus of many men is on these19 ladies. It is certainly possible,that these olderladies may be wearing super long hair wigs,but they donot have to tell me. Stop picking on me,Jena.There are other men with a fascination for very long hairon ladies also. You can takes statistical figures ortake numbers any way you want,to reflect your personalopionion,to make them look good for you.
Mark View Drop Down

> Cher, I do apologize to you. I misunderstood you.I thought you had cut you hair down to very short.Yes,shoulder length long hair sounds good. I certainlycan see trimming your hair down to shoulder length,CherI misunderstood what you said,and I do apologize to you.Even if your hair grows like a weed,consider yourselflucky. There are some ladies who love fast growing hair,Cher. It seems that ladies,appreicate their hair far better,after suffering total hair loss from chemotherapy.Other ladies have real slow growing hair,with stuntedgrowth,that is will never get long. These ladies wouldlike to have the rapid hair growth that you have,Cher.I think a lady can use shoulder length hair,as an artisticenhancement of ladies female identity.
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Mark,I'm honestly not trying to be mean to you, but your interest in long hair just seems to take a preoccupation in that you often repeat yourself multiple times in the same post. And of course there are many husbands who not only love long hair but wish to help their wives take care of it. But you've also said before that you've helped many women grow their hair by giving them head massages and so forth, and well, I must say that you win the prize for thinking about women's long hair the most! I do think that hair is a very interesting subject, and I certainly like to discuss it, also. But I do hope that you have other interests and hobbies that you enjoy, as well. I say that with the best intentions.Most sincerely,Jena
Cher~ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
No problem.. And I do consider myself blessed withmy hair.. and feel for the ones whose hair takes an eternity to grow or have gone through an illness where their hair has suffered. I can quite understand hair loss.I went through water damage.. so I can identify.take care.. Cher~I thought you had cut you hair down to very short.> Yes,shoulder length long hair sounds good. I certainly> can see trimming your hair down to shoulder> length,Cher> I misunderstood what you said,and I do apologize to> you.> Even if your hair grows like a weed,consider yourself> lucky. There are some ladies who love fast growing> hair,> Cher. It seems that ladies,appreicate their hair far> better,after suffering total hair loss from> chemotherapy.> Other ladies have real slow growing hair,with stunted> growth,that is will never get long. These ladies would> like to have the rapid hair growth that you have,Cher.> I think a lady can use shoulder length hair,as an> artistic> enhancement of ladies female identity.
Mark View Drop Down

> Jena, okay I do have many other interests,there aremany other things I can do. It is now time to let othermen write to you on the hairboard. These other men,outside of me,place an even greater importance on longhair for ladies,than I ever did. I am entitled to writeand express my opionion. Good bye, Jena
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:36pm
> Why do women over 40 cut their hair? For me, and for a> lot of men, nothing is more beautiful than an older> woman with shoulder length hair or longer, epecially> if it's tied up in a ponytail with a scrunchie or if> it's worn loose.> I think, and I think a lot of men feel the same way,> that even with gray hair - especially with gray hair -> women look so much more feminine when they grow it> longer.> So if there's any older women out there who think they> need to cut their hair just because of their age - you> don't! :)personally, i intend to be the crazy old lady in the nursing home with 4 foot long hair tied up in a bun on my head!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic