Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in/or on TV News

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
david View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in/or on TV News
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:33pm
I want to know why all of these TV News Producers, want the women to have all the same cookie cutter hairstyle? One TV News lady wears it up all the time, Cora-Ann Mihalik of UPN 9 News, NJ. Then one on WTNH Channel 8, New Haven, CT who has long hair below her shoulders, the producers want her to get it cut. Why not let these ladies and others be themselves? And let them wear thier hair the way they want to. Oh Cora-Ann on UPN's openning is shown with her hair down and curled. Can some one tell me why, this is this like this?
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:33pm
Many stations hire consultants to advise their anchors and reporters on style and presentation. And of course you know what usually is written about hair: Short (but not severe) generic cut.Two thoughts: Indeed they all are cookie cutter imitations! I used to love Jane Pauley's hair, but now I'd have a hard time picking her out of a line-up of TV personalities (which wouldn't be hard to do considering I haven't seriously watched TV for a couple of years).However, when reporting the news, the focus should be on the content of the news, not the appearance of the anchor. Therefore, anyone with a terribly unique look might distract from intent. On one hand, it could be a gimmick --channel 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5....) with the anchor who has waist length hair or who has a crew cut! On the other hand, the distraction could threaten credibility -- the channel is so desperate to set itself apart from the others. It can't do so with jouranlistic excellence, so it resorts to gimmicks.The intent of a TV journalist or anchor should not be to draw attention to herself via physical looks but rather to do the best job at reporting the news. If there is a distinct and unique look to the reporter, people may tend to concentrate on the reporter and not the report.
Young L da Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Young L da Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2004 at 11:58pm
nice
MenaceIISociety View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MenaceIISociety Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2004 at 12:01am
Cool dude :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic