Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your long hair in 2004

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
leon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2004 at 9:46am
Dave,
My 2004 hair goal is finally do what I want to do with my hair rather than being influenced by friends and family. Like most guys I get lots of pressure from people whenever I let my hair start to get long. There is real pressure in our society to conform to the norms of guys having short hair. I have always wanted to grow my hair long. Last year I let the back get long enough to put in a ponytail. I really loved how it felt and wanted to keep growing it but I let the pressure get to me and then cut it.
My hair is thick and wavy and I would love to see how it looks and feels to have it grow down to at least to mid back. I know that would take much longer than 2004 however my hair seems to grow close to an inch per month.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2004 at 2:54am
No slouching on seats, especially the toilet seats. And I can go on until 2005 without worrying about the hybridness of what originated from the head and from what originates down there. o_O

Now : 6cm below nipples.
12 months from now : Belt length.

Please note that it is a variable length thing and it has been a bit over 3 years now from nothing,

Planning a visit to Louise Marie's hopefully for before Anime North 2004 (mid-may)

BTW, is color evil for long hair or is it just a major fear because many stylists fark up ? I was thinking of grey :P
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Viktoria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viktoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 10:47am
Just came back from holidays and it´s great to read everybody´s hopes and resolutions. Personally, I´m working on my selfimage - I am, actually now, a long haired person. Odd, I just really realized it looking at holiday pictures.

Maybe I risk getting stuck in a mental "grow out"-mode, like I might never be happy with what I´ve got. Anyway, that´s what I´ll be working on. And the hair, it will just go on and on and on...
The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
Miss Daisy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Daisy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2004 at 10:39pm
I would love to just start the growing process. I am not sure at what length my hair will grow, but my long-term goal is waist length. I would like to learn how to style hair that is shoulder length or below because I am use to flippy layers, etc. I would also like to be "kinder" to my hair.. aka less blowdrying, curling, etc ;)
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2004 at 3:45pm
Gray would be interesting Kintaro, but you might want to be careful so it doesn't make you look pre-maturely gray. If you have black hair, I think a deep navy blue shade would be cool...maybe highlights in that color. True black hair often has blue undertones. It would be fun to see a picture of your hair.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 12:35am
I'm actually going to get to borrow my friend's digicam tomorrow for arcade purposes, and for random stuff. My head will be part of that list :P

Not just for the hair, but how much I can look different from innocence to insanity XD
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2004 at 6:34pm
Hey Victoria, great new picture! Of course you're a "long haired" person.

Hi Miss Daisy! I would suggest browsing the HB photo gallery for styling ideas. I will add that even "no style" long loose hair looks great, so no matter what your look will be good.

It'll be interesting to see your contrasting looks, Kintaro.
krzysztof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krzysztof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2004 at 7:25pm
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2004 at 3:30pm
Hey krzysztof, you've got great hair!
Anne-Loes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anne-Loes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2004 at 3:49pm
Sorry for my late reaction. I want to keep asl long as possible my waist-lenght hair and keep it in perfect condition.

Anne-Loes
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 3:18pm
Hey Dave

Thought I would come out of the woodwork now and answer your question.

Goals for 2004:

1. Let it grow (paid-up member of the No-cut Club)

2. Don't use commercial products, use clay-wash and oils only

3. Wear my hair with pride....I feel like a longhair at last (its BSL..I know coz it gets caught in my bra-strap if I'm not careful....YAY!)

Uzi

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2004 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by uzma uzma wrote:

(paid-up member of the No-cut Club)

Hey Uzi, that club goes by another name, right?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2004 at 8:25am
Yes, indeed.....The Loving Order of Uncut Ends is its' formal designation.

And you, my dear Dave, are granted an Honorary Fellowship of the Order...for being an inspiration and exemplar of our ideals!

Uzi

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2004 at 8:24pm
Uzi,

I am honored by your generous praise.

Even though I occasionally trim the ends they do appear uncut. Maybe I should amend that to "rarely." Last trim was in August 2002 - I'm due. (I hope you don't feel my confession undermines your fraternity's aims; I do sympathize and support those who may choose the path).
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2004 at 7:03am
Hi Dave, great post.

WARNING: LONG response here.

I've taken quite the minimalist approach over the last year since my last salon visit in March of '03.

I gave myself a very "involved" trim about a month ago with very good, sharp sewing scizzors, angling my sides from the cheekbone downward, taking off about two or three inches therefrom because I really needed a shaping. Then I took about 1/2 inch from my bottom in the back and my second long layer, which lies about an inch from the bottom, extending to the sides (if that makes sense). By doing that I was able to return my hair to pretty much perfect health and renewed shape and volume. I was VERY proud of myself and it was still very long. It's about two inches below bsl now.

I think I will continue doing these trims at home a few times a year for as long as I want to keep this style. The face-framing layers are really great, they give me a "modern" feel while still keeping my hair long. I don't have to touch the bottom unless it feels dry. Cutting your own hair is so convenient, you do it when needed and it's FREE!

I plan to keep my hair at this length, I really don't have the desire to go longer at this point, nor shorter. I am quite happy with my hair these days.

I must admit, sometimes I do envy these just-above-shoulder length, flippy styles that I've been seeing, but my dear husband reminded me that I don't have that kind of hair (and he's not even a "hair guy", bless him). My hair is wavy and on the cusp of medium-to-coarse textured, and that style would require straightening balm and daily blow drying. My porous hair would be destroyed in a week. So I think keeping my sides nicely layered and angled will keep "modernization envy" at bay.

Over the last year +, I've been trying to get away from the "almost black" cool dark brown color I'd been using, in an attempt to get back to my much warmer chocolatey-with-red tones natural color. I have a LOT of grey now. I've been very patient, and coloring only at the roots for over a year with a mixture of colors that I've created to do this, using Redken Fusion once every two or three months (4NN with 1/3 of 3GR) with Natural Instincts touch ups in between (medium brown mixed with Medium Auburn Brown), all roots only. The results have been worth my patience: I now have about 8 inches of hair from the roots downward of the more natural looking warm brown. It blends in decently with the darker bottom half, particularly since this "older" hair has faded a bit with age and has turned warmer on its own. I don't hear people calling my hair "black" anymore. I will definitely continue this project throughout 2004. The best part of this is that when I wear my hair up, you only see the new color. I am so happy with the results of this plan I've been working on for over a year. I'm living proof that patience pays when it comes to long term hair plans.

Regarding products, I've also kept things fairly minimalist lately. I'm shampooing twice a week or so with Aveda or Redken, and mixing that up with Loreal Color Vive occasionally. I haven't been doing any deep conditioning or hot oil treatments, but would like to do one soon just for a boost. If I go an extra day without washing, once in a blue moon I'll use my husband's Suave for a good clarifying shampoo. I'm still using my same Loreal Studio Anti-Frizz gel (very water, very light) with a light touch, only as needed. When my hair begins to air dry, I just add it wherever the frizz is forming.

So nothing new for me in 2004, just a continuation of what's been working for me in 2003. I'm 5.5 months pregnant now, and have not noticed my hair changing at all as it does for some women, although perhaps drinking half of my body weight in water on a daily basis is helping on some level. It does seem pretty darn healthy (my skin hasn't been so lucky).

Perhaps after the baby is born in late June, I may reconsider my hair length. On the other hand, it takes me all of ten seconds to wrap my hair up in scrunchies or clamps and then it's out of the way. Perhaps that is the best way to go. I already have a hair plan in place for labor--up and tight with twenty million small clips and extras nearby to keep it away, so I don't pull it the heck out! Probably more info than the men on this board need to hear!

Whew! That was long, but fun to write.

Elissa
[/url]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic