Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

man's opinion on cutting hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: man's opinion on cutting hair
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
I love experimenting with my hair, and when I want to change my look, I ask my boyfriend his opinion on how he thinks i should get it cut. All he tells me is that it doesn't matter to him, it's my head and i'm the one who has to live with it. I totally understand that, but I wish he would just suggest. I've even thought about asking him to go to the salon with me, but i'm afraid he'll say no. An opinion isn't that much to ask for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> I love experimenting with my hair, and when I want to> change my look, I ask my boyfriend his opinion on how> he thinks i should get it cut. All he tells me is that> it doesn't matter to him, it's my head and i'm the one> who has to live with it. I totally understand that,> but I wish he would just suggest. I've even thought> about asking him to go to the salon with me, but i'm> afraid he'll say no. An opinion isn't that much to ask> for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!Hi Laurie,I don't know your boyfriend (and can't speak for him) but it seems to me that he has made it clear that he really does not care what you choose to do with your hair. The question seems to be, do you accept that he doesn't wish to express an opinion?Hope this helps,Dave
David M Squires
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> Hi Laurie,> I don't know your boyfriend (and can't speak for him)> but it seems to me that he has made it clear that he> really does not care what you choose to do with your> hair. The question seems to be, do you accept that he> doesn't wish to express an opinion?> Hope this helps,> DaveDave,I may have failed to mention that if I get it cut too short, then he gets upset. I had it cut to above my shoulders and he complained that there wasn't enough for him to play with. So, could it be that he's afraid to voice his opinion? If so, how do i get it across that I need to? And may i ask how old you are?thanks
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:57pm
> Dave,> I may have failed to mention that if I get it cut too> short, then he gets upset. I had it cut to above my> shoulders and he complained that there wasn't enough> for him to play with. So, could it be that he's afraid> to voice his opinion? If so, how do i get it across> that I need to? And may i ask how old you are?> thanksHi Laurie,Thanks for the additional info. You know his preferences (length pastthe shoulders), and you're looking for a change, and the two are notincompatible! Hair below shoulder-length is very versatile and youhave many choices. Try learning some updos and braiding techniques.Maybe he'd like to help. Encourage him. And there are scores ofstyles you could try, even some examples here at HB in the gallery.I'm in my 30's...Hope this helps!Dave
David M Squires
Jena View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:58pm
Laurie,Actually there are two questions a woman should never ask a man because there are no "right" answers. The questions are:1) Am I fat?2) Should I cut my hair?If he says yes, you should cut your hair, and you end up not liking it, he's in the doghouse!! If he says no, you should not cut your hair, and you really kind of want to cut it, he's in the doghouse because he's "preventing" you from cutting it!> I may have failed to mention that if I get it cut too> short, then he gets upset. I had it cut to above my> shoulders and he complained that there wasn't enough> for him to play with.Perhaps you're asking him questions that are too general. Instead of "Should I get my hair cut?" perhaps you could ask, "If I got my hair cut, what is the shortest that you'd like to see it?" That way, he isn't "telling" you how to cut it, but he's giving you his opinion on what he likes.Good luck!Jena
john View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:58pm
You obviously have a boyfriend who believes it's your decision what you do with your hair, and doesn't want to offend you by expressing too much of an opinion.The best way to find out what hairstyles he likes is to ask him about other people's hair. When you're watching the TV or a movie, throw in questions about the female stars such as "do you like her hair like this?" "do you think it would look better shorter?" "what would you think if I had my hair cut like this?"By bringing up the subject in a more casual environment, it may prompt him to feel more at ease because you're not pressuring him to give you the "right" answer. Then he'll tell you what he really thinks.
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:58pm
> I love experimenting with my hair, and when I want to> change my look, I ask my boyfriend his opinion on how> he thinks i should get it cut. All he tells me is that> it doesn't matter to him, it's my head and i'm the one> who has to live with it. I totally understand that,> but I wish he would just suggest. I've even thought> about asking him to go to the salon with me, but i'm> afraid he'll say no. An opinion isn't that much to ask> for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!Laurie,Men have definite opinions on hairstyles they like. They are sometimes afraid to make recommendations thinking that their mate will become upset with them, if they prefer a different hairstyle than she does. Make a game of it. Buy a hairstyle magazine and ask him to set with you and view the hairstyles. Say I really like this style, whatdaya think. Given enough time and playfulness, men will usually respond and you can find out what they like.Remember thoough, sometimes guys say they hate a hairstyle, and they love it when their mate gets it.Another thing, don't blame the guy if you wind up hating the hairstyle he said he would like. That is men's fear, suggesting something their mates may hate.Better than a mazazine, go to a salon using computer imaging. The salon can show you in various styles before making the cut. This variety of hairstyles on you may help you and your mate decide what you both like.
david View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:58pm
My wife has the opposite problem... I am constantly suggesting change. Not that I don't like it the way it is now (I love it), but the change itself is incredibly exciting to me (yes, I know there's another thread on that subject and I'm heading there next...)My suggestion: Tell him a couple days before what you plan to do, and tell him you'd like to know what he thinks. If he doesn't express an opinion, he's given up his right to complain about it after the fact.My $.02David> I love experimenting with my hair, and when I want to> change my look, I ask my boyfriend his opinion on how> he thinks i should get it cut. All he tells me is that> it doesn't matter to him, it's my head and i'm the one> who has to live with it. I totally understand that,> but I wish he would just suggest. I've even thought> about asking him to go to the salon with me, but i'm> afraid he'll say no. An opinion isn't that much to ask> for. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:58pm
> Laurie,> Men have definite opinions on hairstyles they like.> They are sometimes afraid to make recommendations> thinking that their mate will become upset with them,> if they prefer a different hairstyle than she does.> Make a game of it. Buy a hairstyle magazine and ask> him to set with you and view the hairstyles. Say I> really like this style, whatdaya think. Given enough> time and playfulness, men will usually respond and you> can find out what they like.> Remember thoough, sometimes guys say they hate a> hairstyle, and they love it when their mate gets it.> Another thing, don't blame the guy if you wind up> hating the hairstyle he said he would like. That is> men's fear, suggesting something their mates may hate.> Better than a mazazine, go to a salon using computer> imaging. The salon can show you in various styles> before making the cut. This variety of hairstyles on> you may help you and your mate decide what you both> like.
Laurie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:58pm
Steve,Thanks for your advice. The thing is, he has sat down and glanced at magazines with me, but he suggests the really crazy styles, such as purple hair with spikes, etc. I'm not sure our area has salons that use computer imaging.Thanks,Laurie
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:58pm
> Steve,> Thanks for your advice. The thing is, he has sat down> and glanced at magazines with me, but he suggests the> really crazy styles, such as purple hair with spikes,> etc. I'm not sure our area has salons that use> computer imaging.> Thanks,> LaurieLaurie,Try the many sites on the web (ie www.clairol.com), or buy software for makeovers. The software is relatively inexpensive. Then you could show off dfffferent hairstyles to him. It is the only way for a woman to go before considering major hairstyle changes. Please let him know how important this is for you.
Laurie View Drop Down

I think I've responded to your message on another hair-related board. Anyway. My husband (then boyfriend) had trouble giving me his opinion on my hair during the early years of our relationship. However, it has now changed . . . he loves helping me pick out new styles and talking hair with me! It takes patience . . . your man is shy about giving his opinion.I have an idea about how you may be able to get his opinion quickly (it depends on the length of your hair now, and the shortest you are willing to go). Show him a picture (or watch a movie or TV Show with him) that features an extremely cute short-haired woman (Natalie Raitano on TV's V.I.P., Winona Ryder, etc.) and tell him "I have an appointment this Friday to get my hair cut just like hers. What do you think?" I bet he speaks up, either for it or against it, immediately. Anyway, it provides you with an opportunity to get his input. For example: "I'm glad you like it. What do you like best about it?" or "Since you wouldn't like it THAT short . . . what kind of change would you like me to make?" But be careful, be ready to get the suggested style in case he calls your bluff. In other words, don't suggest an extreme change unless you are willing to do it. You may be surprised when he says "yes" to a hairstyle that you previously thought he might object to.I hope this helps (it worked for me). I think men's attitudes toward their wife's (or girlfriend's) hair is a fascinating subject. Please let me know how it goes. Feel free to e-mail me (lauriesk@hotmail.com) if you would, we could have fun exchanging ideas on the subject.
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
> Laurie,> Try the many sites on the web (ie www.clairol.com), or> buy software for makeovers. The software is relatively> inexpensive. Then you could show off dfffferent> hairstyles to him. It is the only way for a woman to> go before considering major hairstyle changes. Please> let him know how important this is for you.Addendum-Laurie,A husband was into long hair on woman, while his wife was into shorter styles. She tried to please her husband and her hair grew below her knees. They got a divorce and she cut her hair.A husband was into short hair, while his wife was into longer styles. She tried to please her husband and let him take her to the barber shop for clipper cuts. They got a divorce and she grew her hair long.A husband was into long hair, while his wife was into shorter styles. She pleased herself and cut her hair short. The husband grew to like the hairstyle. They are still married after twenty-five years.The moral to this story is: You cannot please everybody, so you gotta please yourself. And, in the matters of personal preferences, don't try and manipulate your mate into your mindset.Men do have opinions, but often keep it to themselves. Ultimately, our opinions matter only to the extent another allows our opinion to have sway. When men say "whatever", they are saying what pleases you is ok with me. Accept that the subject may not be an important to them as it is to you.To paraphrase a poet, people must endure their going hence, even as their coming hither, maturity is all. Relationships mature by talking and learning about another. Be open, willing to share your innermost thoughts, and becomes friends. Friendship is important in the relationship for understanding and acceptance of individual differences, preferences, and habits. Open dialogue must be the hallmark of the relationship. Tell him how important his discusszing your hairstyle is to you. Let him know how important his opinion is to you. If he really does not have an opinion, believe him-he may not be an much into hair as you. Accept it, and move on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic