Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Prospective of longer-haired women

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prospective of longer-haired women
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
I am interested in opinions of long-haired women on the following point. The life-cylce of hair is seven years. We each lose about fifty hairs daily, and the average head of hair contains from 100,000 to 130,000 hairs. So we lose around 18,000 hairs annually and replenish same. I believe the figures are reasonably scientific. If hair grows one-half inch monthly on average, then in seven years hair could reach a length of 42 inches, then fall out. Are my facts wrong, if so, how does Crystal Gayle have hair down to her knees? Is she a pigmy?Does long hair thin as it gets to the longer lengths, say at 40 inches there is not as many hairs as at 12 inches? The women I've know with long hair seem to follow this pattern, it is thick until about mid-back, then the hair seems thinner as it gets longer to waist, then hips and knees. Just wondering.
lynda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lynda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
> I am interested in opinions of long-haired women on> the following point. The life-cylce of hair is seven> years. We each lose about fifty hairs daily, and the> average head of hair contains from 100,000 to 130,000> hairs. So we lose around 18,000 hairs annually and> replenish same. I believe the figures are reasonably> scientific. If hair grows one-half inch monthly on> average, then in seven years hair could reach a length> of 42 inches, then fall out. Are my facts wrong, if> so, how does Crystal Gayle have hair down to her> knees? Is she a pigmy?> Does long hair thin as it gets to the longer lengths,> say at 40 inches there is not as many hairs as at 12> inches? The women I've know with long hair seem to> follow this pattern, it is thick until about mid-back,> then the hair seems thinner as it gets longer to> waist, then hips and knees. Just wondering.there is genetics involved with hair growth, nutrition, etc. hair does thin as it gets to the end of the shaft as the "scales" are more damaged and finer. crystle gayle isn't a pygmy; she has genetics and money on her side!
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
What you're talking about is averages, Steve. For those of us whose hair is longer, our cycle is much slower. One thing I know for certain about myself, though, is I don't lose those 50-100 strands daily, no way. Not even close. Try 20-25? And that's only on the days I wash it, because on the days I don't, it's probably 5-10 strands. I'm terribly careful, but I've heard this is the case once hair gets very long; it just doesn't shed like shorter hair does.As the hair gets longer, it most definitely thins, but this is due primarily to wear and tear, at least on me. I haven't maxed out yet. Remember, those hair ends are pretty fragile, being very old. Neil Ward, the George Michael affiliate in London, calls them "old lace." How appropriate. Perhaps also, as hair maxes out, only some of the strands get as long as the max, while others are shed by the scalp sooner, so the effect is a thinner look.Oh yeah, Crystal Gayle is about 5'-2", I believe, not exactly a pygmy, but she does have hired help to take care of her hair.Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
> What you're talking about is averages, Steve. For> those of us whose hair is longer, our cycle is much> slower. One thing I know for certain about myself,> though, is I don't lose those 50-100 strands daily, no> way. Not even close. Try 20-25? And that's only on the> days I wash it, because on the days I don't, it's> probably 5-10 strands. I'm terribly careful, but I've> heard this is the case once hair gets very long; it> just doesn't shed like shorter hair does.> As the hair gets longer, it most definitely thins, but> this is due primarily to wear and tear, at least on> me. I haven't maxed out yet. Remember, those hair ends> are pretty fragile, being very old. Neil Ward, the> George Michael affiliate in London, calls them> "old lace." How appropriate. Perhaps also,> as hair maxes out, only some of the strands get as> long as the max, while others are shed by the scalp> sooner, so the effect is a thinner look.> Oh yeah, Crystal Gayle is about 5'-2", I believe,> not exactly a pygmy, but she does have hired help to> take care of her hair.> Jennifer EveJennifer Eve,Thanks for the insight. It has been my observation that longer-haired women I've known had thinner hair past their waist. It is something I just wondered about, but never have asked. Again, thanks for the insight.
Steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
> there is genetics involved with hair growth,> nutrition, etc. hair does thin as it gets to the end> of the shaft as the "scales" are more> damaged and finer. crystle gayle isn't a pygmy; she> has genetics and money on her side!Lynda,Thanks for the information. Guess the love of money, besides being the root of all evil, sure does get us some of the finer and nicer things in life. You're right. She has genetics on her sides, if genetics are what make a woman look fine. However, I always thought makeup made the woman beautiful. Just a thought. :)
Deana View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
Hi, all.I think the average length hair stops growing is at thirty inches. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if anyone here has a copy of Guiness Book of World Records, under world's longest hair, I think this is where I read it. I don't have one here, so maybe someone could look for me. I think it states the average growth per month, also. I look where thirty inches is and it is around the waist area. I remember Jena saying her hair stopped growing just above the waist, so maybe there is some truth to their figures and Jena is the average.I believe that patience, care in detangleing and combing, and avoiding stress will help grow hair to it's full potential.Jennifer, I wonder where you will max out? The picture I remember in Guiness was a woman with twelve feet of hair!
Lady Godiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Godiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 9:59pm
> I believe that patience, care in detangleing and> combing, and avoiding stress will help grow hair to> it's full potential."Avoiding stress"? Ha ha ha! That's a good one!> Jennifer, I wonder where you will max out? The picture> I remember in Guiness was a woman with twelve feet of> hair!I'm not looking for twelve feet, that's for sure. To the floor will suit me just fine. First, I have to rid my life of the laughable issue above. :-)Jennifer Eve
Avatar: Lady Godiva by John Collier, 1898

1a F iii hair type
74" to the floor
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic