Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair rules at work

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2000 at 10:26am
I did a year at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy before deciding that the military was not for me. The male swabs (first-year cadets) have their heads shaved almost to their scalp. The female swabs are forced to wear ear-length bobs.

After Swab Summer, the men can grow their hair /slightly/ longer. The women can grow theirs as long as they wish, but it must be worn "off the collar" using a maximum of three barrettes. No unnatural colors or "faddish" styles are allowed. And no facial hair.

Ally
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2000 at 10:30am
Um....hrm. Well, I'm glad you like them. But many women find them uncomfortable and expensive, since they run so easily and must be replaced.

And no, I don't choose to wear them. At some business functions, a skirted suit with a jacket is required. And that means pantyhose.

Some companies even /require/ female executives to wear makeup. Let me guess. You've worn makeup and like it. What's my problem?

Ally

Ally
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2000 at 1:25pm
You see that is a perfect example of the "Hair double standard" and the freedom that women enjoy over men when it comes to appearance. The girls can grow their hair as long as they want but the guys have to stay with crew cuts. Why?
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2000 at 1:35pm
Why does a skirt and jacket automatically mean pantyhose? I like bare legs. You always have the choice not to wear pantyhose and if anyone asks say that they make you break out or something.
I think that companies are going too far when they dictate a persons freedom to express themselves through appearance. That said there are some people who go way to far but you always have the people who overdo it. I'm talking about everyday people here.
Oh and yes I have tried makeup and yes I like it too. I like a great deal of things that are traditionally considered feminine. I envy women because they have all the choices in the world open to them pertaining to hair, clothing, and things like makeup and accessories where guys have very very few.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2000 at 7:38am
Well, their reasoning is that it's culturally unacceptable and startling for a woman to wear a buzz cut. She would be the object of humiliation instead of respect.

That same rationale applies to jewelry. Women can wear one earring of an approved type in each each ear. Men may wear none.

Ally
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2000 at 10:16am
Respect and admiration must be urned no matter what length or style your hair is. I assure you that in the corporate world there are many women with crewcut type styles and they are not humiliated or unrespected. Hair should be a display of personality and should not determine whether you get a job or not. Prejudging someone on their hair length or style makes you overlook the person themselves. Some of the great geniouses had what is considered long hair and some of the laziest people on the planet probably have short hair.
If a guy with long hair showed up for a job interview and you looked at his long hair and automatically drew your conclusion that he wasn't presentable and would probably not be a good employee then you stand a great chance of turning away a person that may well be your best employee simply because of hair. To me that is pretty shallow and dumb.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2000 at 9:37pm
I am starting a course at an elite secondary school. We were told to dress business like and we were told that noone will be seen around the school with spike hair or any wild colors as the business sector will not hire such candidates. I joke and said " oh well I will have to cancel my appointment next week" and of course everyone thought it was funny. Of course the instructor knew I was joking as I have long hair.

Diane from Canada
dianefromcanada
bobbedguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbedguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2000 at 11:46am
diane,
Did they specifically single out hair or was it brought up in another fashion? I really think that these people are going too far with these restrictions. Although I don't necessarily agree with businesses dictating a persons hair length/style I can see some bases for that, but taking a course is another thing. Why should they care what your hair looks like? You are paying for the class.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2000 at 5:38pm
Hello Bobbedguy:

When you enter that type of instituition you pay a lot of money for any of those programs. You are fully prepared. In that institution they transform the candidates into an idea person for the business market.
There is a range of ages. You can have a person that just graduated from highschool and has no idea what the business sector is like and you can have people who want to change their career and will be successful in finding a new career by going to that intitution.
In the classes it is very much employer-employee conduct so everyone has to dress up as they are going to work in that specialized field. In the area where I live it is very conservative so it makes sense that the institution would strongly encourage all candidates to dress to fit right in.
Yes Bobbedguy the hair issue was brought up. They are very serious about having all their candidates succeed in their career choice and going there is very expensive and their success rate of placing their students in the specilized fields is very high and their reputation is very good. People are proud that they went to that intituition so they must know what they are doing or advising for this territory. The only point that I am making is that they have researched this territory and they are working with it.
dianefromcanada
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic