Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does no hair equal no personality?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does no hair equal no personality?
    Posted: May 06 2000 at 11:04am
I shaved my head last week, as I always do in warmer weather. You would not believe how this affects people's attitude toward you! Work colleagues shake their heads knowingly, or stop talking to you. People in the street seem to get nervous when I'm walking in the same direction as they are, some give sympathetic glances like they assume I'm on chemotherapy or something. Some chickens even cross the road! My mother tut-tuts at me, and friends pretend not to notice and snicker behind my back. And no, I'm not paranoid - not everyone behaves in this way - but I jusy find peoples preconceptions irritating. A woman I know who did the same said main were threatened by her bald head and became more aggressive. Any ideas as to why this is?
phil
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2000 at 1:33pm
I have no problems with people who have shaved their head, although I appreciate the opposite extreme. That's why this case is not a weak spot of me. But there exist other one's. If someone would figure them out I can not react reasonable, it is something like to fight a battle but knowing that it can not be won. I think if your co-workers or other people can not manage this situation you have violated weak spots of them. After my experience to overcome such problems is only possible if the ones who have the problems can speak about it.

Besite that, there exist film stars with shaved heads and they are appreciated by many people.

wolfgang
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2000 at 8:38pm
Hello Phil:

I certainly don't have an answer for you but it reminded me a of few things to share with you.
There was one place where I worked for a short while and this programer supervisor had bald hair. He would purposely shave it and to his co-workers they felt they needed to tell me that so and so is someone that loves doing diffirent things in life and he is fun. He was very funny and enjoy life.
I think that sometimes people do desire to be a certain way and they are not brave enough to act on it. Sometimes people fear asking someone a question feeling that it will be stupid to make any comment etc that can come across as personal.
The second story that this reminds me of is the time I work again for another company and this guy normally has black hair and during the weekend he wanted to die his hair beach blonde but failed to realize that he should have bleach his hair and it turned out burnt orange.
Anyways he entered a room full of co-workers and noone made a comment. He asked everyone" don't you see something diffirent about me?" and someone said that they notice that he is not wearing his earring. I said" ya you have orange hair" and then everyone started to giggle and some admit that they noticed but was scared etc.
dianefromcanada
Marina23 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marina23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2000 at 11:46pm
Certain guys look really sexy with a shaved/bald head. Although it may look sexy, it may look unprofessional or inappropriate in the workplace. From a stereotypicical view, some view guys with bald heads as "thugs". Your hair can really be deceiving. Having really long hair, employers are not too fond of this I find. On the other hand guys love the "wild" mane. If your "friends" are snickering behind your back, they are not your friends obviously, try confronting them. Or, could be the bald look isn't appealing on you - not to say that that means you should grow your hair back - it's totally up to you. And as far as the chickens crossing the road - don't be too paranoid, maybe their just getting to the other side.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic