Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

dates: how bad would you go?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dates: how bad would you go?
    Posted: February 16 2002 at 12:18pm
On the very popular mullet style post, it was mentioned that women surveyed said they`d
never date a man with a mullet!!! So, I was wondering, let`s have a survey, how bad would
someone`s hair have to be for you to not even consider dating them. For the girls, would you refuse to date:

-a guy with a mullet :)
-a guy with a bowl cut
-a guy with a flat, flat flattop (I saw a couple yesterday. This coming back?)
-a guy with hair shaven off close with an electric clipper
-a guy with hair shaven off clean with a blade
-a guy with sloppily/outlandishly color-changed hair
-a guy with a punk haircut
-anyone else?

For the guys, would you date:

-a girl with a spikey pixie cut
-a girl with huge80s-retro "big mall hair"
-a girl with a mullet :)
-a girl with a buzzcut/hair shaven close with clippers
-a girl with hair shaven clean off with a blade
-a girl with sloppily/outlandishly color-changed hair
-a girl with a punk haircut
-anyone else?

On my own part as a guy, I`d say that 1-3 would have some chance with me (and one with
sloppily dyed hair, most of all - can`t have it all :D), the chance gets much smaller with the clipping/
shaving the punk haircut, ALMOST absolutely not.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2002 at 6:13pm
My biggest peave is greasy hair. Wouldn`t care what style they wore.
dianefromcanada
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2002 at 2:34pm
I`d say:
All except for big hair and mullet. Why not?
phil
The Riddler View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Riddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2002 at 5:30pm
I would not date a girl with a mullet (I`d be laughing too hard), or anything shaved, as long as the are pretty, I could handle a punk haircut/colors and if I met someone with `mall` hair, I`d give her a nudge to change..
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2002 at 9:47am
I wouldn`t date a girl with a clean shaved head, outlandish..., and punk style. Also, as someone else said, any style that is greasy.
LondonGhost View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LondonGhost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2002 at 3:35am
Yeah, I`d have to agree with the people who say that hair care is more important than hair style. As a girl, I don`t think I`d reject a guy solely on the basis of his hair. However there is a big difference between a guy who wore - say - a mullet because he wanted to stand out from the crowd and make a statement, and a guy who wore a mullet because he genuinely thought it was still in fashion. The first guy would appear self-confident, retro etc. etc. while the second guy would just seem clueless. If, however, I genuinely liked the `clueless` guy, I`d like to think that his hair wouldn`t stop me from dating him.
My exception to the `hairstyle shouldn`t matter` rule is perhaps a guy with really long hair who does not take care of it. Tangled, greasy, splitting, knotted, long hair on a guy is the biggest turn off.
Howard Fein View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Fein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2002 at 1:36pm
Back when I was in dating purgatory (funny to think about it now, because last month was my tenth wedding anniversary), two things would really turn me off:

-A woman with extremely short hair;

-A woman with hair of considerable length who would wear it in a tight updo, a braid or otherwise up with loads of clips, barrettes and other doodads-not exactly the image that lends itself to possible romance. More times than I`d like to remember, I`d hit it off with a woman- of COURSE for her personality, but if I found her hair attractive, that wouldn`t exactly hurt, either. We`d make a date, and she`d have done something I`d deem unattractive to her hair as detailed above.

Yeah, I know lots of women like to wear updos and braids on dates and for formal occasions to look good, but this practice leaves me cold. Like most guys, of course I love long hair worn loose, but am extremely crazy about U-shaped headbands (especially wide plastic ones) and ponytails held completely back with a large clip. A bonus is if the hair is long enough to clip behind the head and let the remainder bounce back over the shoulders- a style popular in the late seventies that can be somewhat achieved these days with a large claw clip.

One woman I dated (her heart obviously wasn`t in it; she later admitted she only went out with me to get back at an old ex) with wavy hair of bra-strap length wore a wide Karina tortoise shell headband. Her apparent effort to make herself unattractive- headbands were widely viewed as dowdy in the eighties- completely backfired when it came to me. She wasn`t happy over my attentiveness, and I wasn`t happy over her distantness. Needless to say, we never went on another date.

Makes me glad to be married. My wife thinks she can`t wear her wavy/curly hair longer than chin length because it tends to grow wider and higher- i.e. too messy- rather than longer, which can be `blamed` on giving birth and her longtime hairdresser moving away. Of course, I love her so much I can overlook those occasional painful short haircuts she gets around the beginning of summer.

From what I hear, nothing splits female opinion more sharply than facial hair on a guy. Except for ages 19 (because I tired of being mistaken for a junior high school student) through 25, and then briefly at 31 (see below) I`ve been clean shaven. Before we were married, Lisa saw pictures of me from this era and asked me to grow a mustache again. After a few months, she wanted it off- said I looked too much like Groucho. Not surprising, since I have dark hair, heavy brows and wear glasses.

Like it or not, first impressions mean everything in relationships, and everyone has their own set of physical characteristics they look for in a potential mate. YA JUST CAN`T DENY IT.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2002 at 9:01pm
A girl with a mullet? And I thought *I* was going through a bad hair phase!

I admit, although I try to judge men (and everyone, for that matter) by their personality and not their hair, I admit some of the styles would give me pause. I thought it was funny you mentioned the flat flat top.....because I`ve been dating the same guy for five years.....and as of yesterday I`m dating a man with a flat top! Yes, the BF went for the Marine cut without telling anyone. (mixed feelings on my end, but hey I still love him.)

So I guess that goes to show you really shouldn`t judge ppl because of their hair..........because it can change in an instant!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
kuntrygirlathart View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuntrygirlathart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2002 at 11:45am
hi! I just thought I`d add my story to this interesting topic. I try not to judge by the hair only but you have to admit, that like someone else said, first impressions are important. I believe length of hair doesn`t matter as long as you can tell it`s well taken care of. That automatically makes me think that they guy/girl must care. Now, as far as styles on guys, I don`t really care for the mullet, although if the guy was nice, I might date him, then drop a few friendly hints :0) I`ve been going out with the same guy for 8 months and when we hooked up he had a mid length "skater cut" and recently I told him I though he would look better and older (he`s 15 and I`m 16) if he were to cut his hair short. He told me that he didn`t think so but he`d try it. It looks awesome!! I think it just matters on the person also. Thanks for reading!
kuntrygurl

What will people think when they hear that I`m a Jesus Freak, what will people do when they find that it`s true? I don`t really care if they label me a Jesus Freak. There ain`t no disguising the truth!!
(DC Talk Jesus Freak)
SMILE! Jesus Loves You!!
ladykera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladykera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2002 at 11:50am
okay i would (and have dated) all but the mullet and bowl cut. anyone i dated in middle and elementry school excluded.... and just remeber there are plenty of sexy bald guys out there! Capt. Picard, Mr. Clean... ;)
-Kera
aka princess of the air force (they just don`t know it yet)
Hawaii Guy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawaii Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2002 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by ladykera ladykera wrote:

okay i would (and have dated) all but the mullet and bowl cut. anyone i dated in middle and elementry school excluded.... and just remeber there are plenty of sexy bald guys out there! Capt. Picard, Mr. Clean... ;)

:D :P :D OMG !!! Mr. Clean! wOOt! :D :P :D That really caught me off gaurd. Good one Kera! Aloha, HG
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2002 at 12:40pm
Hey! I wouldn`t want to rule anyone out cuz you never know until you really get to know someone...
as far as what catches my eye (or not), I`d definitely say that a guy with his hair shaved off completely or buzzed to almost nothing would probably be out- no offense to anyone, its just not my thang, unless of course they were in the military, where its not really their choice. Sometimes mullets are OK, if they`re not too extreme (the ones where the top is buzzed really short and the back is really long are kinda wierd), and I don`t think that the bowl is too bad either. I think wierd punk hair is kinda out, too. Strange colored hair doesn`t bother me at all...altho once I got to know the guy I might make an innocent suggestion to change it :). Overall tho, I`d try my best to be objective and to get to know somebody before ruling them out as a dating possibility. I don`t date too much myself, except for my current b/f who I`ve been with for 5 months....and hey, I might not like shaved heads, but I have short hair and a lot of guys don`t like that, so I guess fair is fair.
In-ga-rid :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2002 at 10:01am
It isn`t that I *wouldn`t* date a man with a mullet, but the man that would interest me would definitely tend not to have a mullet!

Jennifer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic