Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

complimenting women coworkers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 1:55am
I think this harrassment thing has gotten way out of hand. Telling someone that they look nice today is a for cry from asking someone to get ahead they need to sleep with them.

Here in the south, our men are taught at a very young age to respect women. They always open the door for you, stand up when you enter a room, hold your hand to help you walk through a puddle or down a hill. Complete strangers do this for you.

In fact, I am very insulted if when I approach a door in a public place at the same time as a man and they do not open it for me. This is very rare but when it happens I say under my breath "chilvary is dead".

The other day, I was "trying" to fill one of my tires up with air on my car and OOPs silly me, I deflated it instead. There was a high school aged guy came running to help me. I did not even ask. I thanked him greatly. He said "no problem, anytime". Anytime your car breaks down on the side of the road, there is always 4-5 other cars stop for you, all men, to help you, while their wives come and make sure you have a cell phone to call someone or help in any way possible. My husband will always stop, especially if they are elderly. Funeral processions are always respected. On major highways, all cars pull to the side, both directions, and wait for the procession to pass.

If you accidently bump anyone in a public place, such as a department store, the other person ALWAYS says excuse me with a smile. If they don't, we usually say under our breath or to the person with us, "a yankee".he-he.

Bottom line is this, here in the south, we women LOVE being respected by our men (meaning all southern men) and we expect it and demand it.
Sexual harassment? Only if that word is involved.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 4:13am
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2003 at 9:41am
I actually like a compliment unless they are hitting on you when that isn't what you are interested in.
There is a fine line there. People have to use their intuition on when, where and how to give a compliment.
tina
Ronda22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronda22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 5:57am
Amen LiliBeach!!!
I wish I lived in the south! I LOVE when men treat me like a lady. If they give me a compliment here at work, I smile and say Thank you. It's an awful egotistical person that thinks just because they are getting complimented, the man is hitting on them!! maybe the men were raised to be "kind to others?" I know when a man is hitting on me, and when they do, I politely say "NO, I'm happily married Thank you." I dont go running into my bosses office screaming sexual harrasment.
I love what you said LiliBeach......
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2003 at 3:37pm
I started this thread and have been enjoying the replies. I think maybe LiliBeach hit it on the head. I was raised in the South and only think of it as a nice compliment - not a chance to jump in bed with someone. I only jump in bed with my wife. I am one of the few who have been only with one woman (sexually) their whole life.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2003 at 9:37pm
Thank you very much!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic