Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why did you stop going to your last hairdresser?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did you stop going to your last hairdresser?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 10:35am
Originally posted by snoopval snoopval wrote:

buzzed- that is a good question, as a stylist let me give you some theories.  First off you have to understand what most stylists biggest fear is.  It is having a client ask for something atrocious, you giving it to them, and them telling all there friends that you were the one who did there hair.  What the stylists don't realize is this.  You know that your friend has odd taste, when you see her get the exact haircut she wants, your not thinking 'God i'm never going to go to her'  your thinking 'wow someone actually made my friend happy, maybe i'll check her out.' 
The second thing is and i don't mean this to sound condescending but we do learn a lot about hair, and face shapes.  Did you know that there is such a thing as the perfect face shape?  Did you know that just your haircut can make you smaller, bigger, thinner, have that ideal face shape?  So sometimes we get a client who asks for something and we know that they are not asking for the right thing, and we know that if they wore what we suggested that they would look absolutly fabuous.  It just kills us to see someone attractive who gets a style that we know does not look good.  However the mature stylist realizes that it's not about what other people think, it's if the customer is happy.  If you make people happy then you will surely not have to worry about business.

I do take your points and found your answer very enlightening, But surely what a stylist should do in a "face shape" or the "something atrocious" situation is suggest better options to the client and try to persuade her instead of saying nothing and cutting it the way they like then both parties would be a lot happier and this thread would be a lot shorter. The problem most seem to experience is that instead of giving advice a lot of stylists just seem to proceed to cut the clients hair their way without explanation first which leaves the client feeling dissapointed in the end results of the cut and also feeling they have not been listened to or consulted on the way the stylist has decided to cut their hair.

lucky957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:52am

I left my hairdresser because she never did what i asked for. she used to work in a salon and everytime i went there i got what i wanted, but then she started up a business at home and no matter what i wanted she never listened to me. last time i saw her which was about 3 months ago i went in and ask for my light brown hair to be dyed chocolate brown with a few blonde foils. I came out with bright red hair and black foils. What the??  how do you confuse the two. plus it faded out within 2 weeks and i think that she must have used sh#t colour or something because no matter what i dye it with wheather it's salon or i do it at home it doesn't hold.    OOOh if i see her down the street i might just have to strangle her.

Be true to wat u do and keep ur game up!
fluffmitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffmitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 6:39pm

I've moved house a lot and this time it took me ages to find someone I was happy with.

In general I get unhappy with a stylist if they a) ignore me and do what they want b) dry my short hair into some pouffy bubbly mess c) get rude about the condition of it.

I'm happy with my current stylist as he is as daring as I am - for instance, my last stylist never cut it short enough. We also get on because although I take pictures with me, I'm prepared to listen to his advice. We have a deal: I don't tell him how to do his job and he doesn't tell me how to do mine  Although, when he was lifting dark dye out of my hair to get it blonde I was the one reassuring him thaat it would be ok - I've seen my hair go orange too often to get scared by it, lol.

I do find it weird having someone younger than me do my hair, but maybe that helps me get a funky style

jennbaeta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennbaeta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 12:13pm

wow.... there are so many stories of why people left their hair dresser, amazing.

My experience was almost insane.  I went to a hairdresser for coloring and cuts for more than 7 years. My hair had grown out nicely and was waist length, in great health, and colored a nice red.  I decided one summer, I wanted a perm...  I have naturally untame wavy hair, and I wanted a uniform curl now that it was longer, something no tighter than the wavy locks I had so it would grow out nicely, just more uniform in the length of the strand. I went to her, she said, no problem, I made an appointment.

Two weeks later, I was so excited, I had never had a perm before. I went in, she did the rollers, and applied the chemical, told me to relax...  a short time later (maybe 7 minutes) the bell on her timer went off, she was on the phone, and I waved at her and pointed to the timer, she responded by shaking her head yes and holding up one finger as if to tell me just a minute....   so we go through the perm process, remove the curlers.....this is when everything really started to hit me.... as she is unwrapping my long starnds of hair from the plastic coiled up rollers,  the hair was all scrunched up and frizzy.... and I dont mean frizzy like, curly hair been flat ironed with sudden humidity, I mean this was like one of those joke wigs ytou find at halloween at the spirit store! It was so scrunched up, and it was breaking off at the scalp as she treid to brush it out....  we were half way through unwrapping it, when she had another stylist come over to help get the rollers out, it was awful!

The next day, I wound up gong to another salon, where the stylist there took one look at me and said "I have been doing this for 20 years, and I want to tell you, you have the most damaged hair I have ever seen."  well, I spent more than 4 hours there doing conditioning and cutting, in the end I had a nice just longer than shoulder length cut, very straight hair. It was no longer breaking off at the scalp, though over the next year it would break off in the lengths of it. It took about $150 to make it nice. I still have a few inches of the dmamged hair in the length now that my hair is again longer than waist length.  The hair dresser that fixed me, Aziza, passed away almost three years ago, I no longer go to a stylist.

snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:33am
Originally posted by buzzedboblover buzzedboblover wrote:

Originally posted by snoopval snoopval wrote:

buzzed- that is a good question, as a stylist let me give you some theories.  First off you have to understand what most stylists biggest fear is.  It is having a client ask for something atrocious, you giving it to them, and them telling all there friends that you were the one who did there hair.  What the stylists don't realize is this.  You know that your friend has odd taste, when you see her get the exact haircut she wants, your not thinking 'God i'm never going to go to her'  your thinking 'wow someone actually made my friend happy, maybe i'll check her out.' 
The second thing is and i don't mean this to sound condescending but we do learn a lot about hair, and face shapes.  Did you know that there is such a thing as the perfect face shape?  Did you know that just your haircut can make you smaller, bigger, thinner, have that ideal face shape?  So sometimes we get a client who asks for something and we know that they are not asking for the right thing, and we know that if they wore what we suggested that they would look absolutly fabuous.  It just kills us to see someone attractive who gets a style that we know does not look good.  However the mature stylist realizes that it's not about what other people think, it's if the customer is happy.  If you make people happy then you will surely not have to worry about business.

I do take your points and found your answer very enlightening, But surely what a stylist should do in a "face shape" or the "something atrocious" situation is suggest better options to the client and try to persuade her instead of saying nothing and cutting it the way they like then both parties would be a lot happier and this thread would be a lot shorter. The problem most seem to experience is that instead of giving advice a lot of stylists just seem to proceed to cut the clients hair their way without explanation first which leaves the client feeling dissapointed in the end results of the cut and also feeling they have not been listened to or consulted on the way the stylist has decided to cut their hair.

Oh absolutley i agree with this, a good stylist will do what you said.  And a good stylist will consult with you.  Consultation is very important and is one of the primary differences between high end salons and not so high end ones. You should always consult with your clients, and especially this is mandatory if you are getting anything more complicated then a cut.  A lot of that is insecurity or an attitude, some stylists feel that they are rockstars, and are much smarter than you.  However you are the one that has to live with your hair, and even if you don't have the best taste, or aren't doing technically what looks good, the most important thing is that you like it, not that you look Charlize Theron.
snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:35am
Originally posted by lucky957 lucky957 wrote:

I left my hairdresser because she never did what i asked for. she used to work in a salon and everytime i went there i got what i wanted, but then she started up a business at home and no matter what i wanted she never listened to me. last time i saw her which was about 3 months ago i went in and ask for my light brown hair to be dyed chocolate brown with a few blonde foils. I came out with bright red hair and black foils. What the??  how do you confuse the two. plus it faded out within 2 weeks and i think that she must have used sh#t colour or something because no matter what i dye it with wheather it's salon or i do it at home it doesn't hold.    OOOh if i see her down the street i might just have to strangle her.

Her huge change in behavior had nothing to do with you, and everything to do with her being self employed.  See before she was doing such a great job, because if she made a mistake like that she would get fired.  But no one is going to fire her at her house, except for you, it looks like she lost a great client, if she continues with this attitude she will lose her others as well most likely.
lucky957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 9:14am

Oh thankyou very much, the only problem is now i have to try and find a good stylist that wont stuff up my hair. but i'm still pretty mad because i can't seem to color over the red she put in my hair and it is now a yucky orange.     ohwells i guess i'll get over it

trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 6:02am

My hairdresser chopped ten inches off of my hair instead of two recently, but I am going back to him on Monday, am I mad???

Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 11:04am
Trophy...what are you going to have done on Monday?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 11:12am

My hair's grown a tiny bit and the back looks messy so he said he would have a look at it and tidy it up however I want (haven't decided yet - any ideas?)  I was also going to speak to one of his colleagues about the possibility of getting extensions for my Christmas party on the 16th.  Wish me luck!

lucky957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucky957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2005 at 10:46pm
good luck trophywife i hope everything turns out the way you want it to this time.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 2:39am
me too - bit nervous actually but I guess it can't look any worse!
L281173 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L281173 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 10:09pm

8 years ago, I left my former hairstylist because she became very lax about time.  She wanted to do hair whenever she wanted to once she became pregnant.  After she had her baby it was the same type of situation.  She was also very slow.  Imagine getting to a salon for a 1:00PM appointment and not getting into the chair until 5:00P.M.  Now, I have been going to my male hairstylist for the last 7 years.  I will never have to worry about him getting pregnant and leaving because he gave birth nor changing his work schedule due to children.  I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world.

one classy, sassy female
stormee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 12:52pm
I have never had a regular stylist, still looking. I've never had a bad haircut, but they never give me exactly the hair cut I want. I just seem to get the generic haircut that they are used to doing, every stylist gives me a slightly different one. It helps that my hair is thick and slightly wavy, I think it's versatile and can compensate for a haircut. So I bought a couple of books and read up, and now I can follow a style they give me, except to cut off length at the back. I got regular and texturizing scissors. My hair looked as good as I got at the salon. Then there is slight pain when I get my hair shampood a lot of times as well as pulling from the brush when they blowdryer style it as well as pain when I have gotten highlights, not to mention the color was really horrible and brassy. I don't have pain when I do my own hair. I also started cutting my kids hair, my son is only 2 and he cries constantly during a haircut, I can do as good a job at home and he doesn't cry at all. Clippers are really easy to use, nothing to it, it's almost funny that I've paid $10-15 for a kids haircut, when I did a perfect job just watching the dvd that came with the clippers. I also do my own color. I bleached my hair three times in one month, but I did learn a lot too. My color is gorgeous now, of course my hair is fried, but deep conditioning is helping a lot. I did my mom's hair cut and color and did really good, plus my friend's highlights, she was happy with it. Most have condescending attitudes. I can't do what they do, but I can certainly do my own hair as well as family and friends as well as follow somebody else's cut, it's not like it's that difficult. They have the attitude that they are so above everything and an amateur could never even begin to understand what they do. Plus they always have 3 other things going on. I've never had a haircut from start to finish without the stylist going off to do something else. I want to be listened to, treated like an equal, given hair advice throught out the cut, and given exactly what I asked for, and given uninterupted service. Hasn't happened. I've also had my eyebrows messed up more times than done right, so I had a great shape tattooed and now I just pluck following the tattoo, they always look great. I've had a lot of pain and damage having my nails done, so I do my own nails now too, they are only a quarter inch above the finger, I'd like them la bit onger, but I'm not going into another salon for that.
rapture View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rapture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 5:23pm
I asked for platinum blonde hair and even brought in a picture. 5 hours, 2 days, and $120 later I was left with hair the exact same color as Carrot Top's. Her response "I don't know what else we can do... It doesn't look that bad."

Edited by rapture
angl96 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angl96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 9:13pm

Wow carrot top  that's scary!!! Doesn't she know she needs to lift it to PALE yellow not orange!!

I tried this girl out with highlights and a haircut and she gave me a $65.00 quote. Cool I liked her so went back a couple of months later huh it was now$ 95.00!!   And all I had done was a root touch up!! No haircut

SummerM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SummerM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2006 at 11:09am
Unfortunately some don't know they can lift past carrot orange. They get to orange either with a highlift( thats not strong enough lift for the customers natural level) or they stop bleaching and try to use a toner to "tone" the orange.

I have gone to salons now and then between doing my own for over 10 yrs. I quit my last salon 3/4 yrs ago after she kept overlapping color. I told her not to do that but she wouldn't listen.
I have been doing my own hair again since then and much happier for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic